Former Leaf to be Inducted into Hockey Hall of Fame

NHLThe Hockey Hall of Fame will unveil this year's selections in about an hour, but I have the exclusive. And it gives me great pleasure to announce that a former Maple Leaf is among the four newest members.

The four players selected today are Steve Yzerman, Brett Hull, Luc Robitaille and former Leaf defenceman Brian Leetch.

Brian Leetch joined the Leafs on March 4, 2004, and here are the only statistics we Leaf fans care about.

Regular season   Playoffs
Season Team League GP G A Pts PIM GP G A Pts PIM
2003–04 Toronto Maple Leafs NHL 15 2 13 15 10 13 0 8 8 6

Congratulations to former Leaf Brian Leetch on your induction into the Hockey Hall of Fame!

leetch

Sammi

I love the way Leaf fans take anybody who maybe played a handful of games with the Leafs and then call them a former Leaf, especially when they are recognized.

Leetch is as much a former Leaf as you are Mike.

June 23, 2009 @ 3:05 PM

Toronto Mike

Sammi, I suppose you're right, except for the fact that Brian Leetch is a former Leaf and I'm not.

June 23, 2009 @ 3:07 PM

rangerfan

Congrats to all inductees, but especially to Leetchie.

I had the pleasure of watching all of his games over his brilliant Ranger career. His Conn Smythe run was the best hockey I've ever seen anyone play...EVER. Class act all the way.

In no way do I begrudge any Leaf or Bruin fan who shares our appreciation.

June 23, 2009 @ 3:17 PM

James Edgar

LOL and you wondered about banning OJ.

June 23, 2009 @ 3:22 PM

Argie

Ah the memories of Leetch as a Leaf - brings a tear to my eye. Actually Leetch was fun to watch. A true offensive defenseman who was born in Corpus Christi, Texas.

June 23, 2009 @ 3:41 PM

Devon

Unbelievable! Leetch a former Leaf???? Come on!! Man....Leaf fans will hang on to whatever they can.

Sammi....you are right on!

June 23, 2009 @ 3:47 PM

Toronto Mike

We also boast about Gretzky being a Leaf.

Even if it was Brent Gretzky on the St. Johns Maple Leafs.

Ron Francis and Phil Housley are other form Leaf greats.

June 23, 2009 @ 3:56 PM

felix

Don't forget Tom Barrasso!

June 23, 2009 @ 6:34 PM

Jenna

Pretty nice post. I just came by your blog and wanted to say
that I've really enjoyed browsing your posts. Anyway
I'll be subscribing to your blog and I hope you post again soon!

June 23, 2009 @ 6:38 PM

Toronto Mike

Let's start the debate. Was Brian Leetch the greatest Maple Leafs defenseman of all-time?

June 23, 2009 @ 6:54 PM

Dave

He played for Toronto for about 5 minutes...so I guess that makes him one of the greatest Leafs of all time!

And you wonder why everyone laughs at Leafs fans behind your backs. This is a real stretch Mike.

June 23, 2009 @ 9:25 PM

A.R.

They may laugh, but we must beleaf in good times and bad. Though we may walk 50 years through the desert, we will win! Other cities only wish they had the quality of fans we do. In their dreams...

June 23, 2009 @ 9:36 PM

andrew

Leetch was a leetch. Played for 1/3rd the season, I'm wondering if he says anything about the LAFFS during his speech. Probably not.
Leafs all time list of D's - he was way behind Dave Dunn.

June 23, 2009 @ 9:40 PM

A.R.

It's more likely that he'll talk about the Maple Leafs than the LAFFs. (Los Angeles Freedom Fighters?).

June 23, 2009 @ 11:21 PM

Toronto Mike

Just to put things in perspective, when was the last time a Leaf scored 8 playoff points?

It's been 5 years. 5 friggin' years since a Leaf has matched Leetch's prowess in blue and white.

June 23, 2009 @ 11:25 PM

Argie

The Hall of fame committee have made some odd choices in who has been selected and who hasn't. Cam Neely got in due largley to the lobbying of Don Cherry. He has no business there. Sure he was a solid two way player but really, how can you have him there and not have Doug Gilmour and Adam Oates??? I know there's still time for the 2 centremen, but surely they deserve to be there.

And speaking of guys who could only punch and score, please don't bring up the name of #17 for the Leafs. I'll have to hurl if you do.....

June 24, 2009 @ 9:37 AM