The Leafs Are The Best: Song + Video = AWESOME!

LeafsI'm toggling between both game sevens. Carolina is leading Boston and Detroit just beat Anaheim. The Leafs haven't been seen in over a month, so naturally I'm singing along to "The Leafs Are The Best".

In the early 90s, when Pat Burns was behind the bench, Wendel Clark was wearing the C and Doug Gilmour was setting up Dave Andreychuk, the Leafs recorded this novelty song and filmed this awesome video. I rediscovered it today when @DownGoesBrown dropped the link in a tweet.

He says it's the greatest thing in the history of the Internet. I'd take that one step further. I'd say this is the greatest thing in the history of the world.

The Leafs Are The Best!!!!1!!1!

Down Goes Brown

Just to be clear, though: when we talk about it being the best thing on the internet, it goes without saying that we're not counting "All Heart", right?

May 14, 2009 @ 10:12 PM

Toronto Mike

Thank goodness. I just updated my entry. I feel obliged to considering I'm first page for Wendel heart.

May 14, 2009 @ 11:10 PM

James Edgar

Brutal.Who's the Blond with the Huge rack?

May 15, 2009 @ 9:28 AM

elvis

I can't even imagine what this city is going to be like when we win again. Forget your Diet Coke Mike - you're going to need something a little stronger than that.

That's it - it's May 2-4 and I already can't wait for my Leafers to start up again...

...with John Tavares!

May 15, 2009 @ 7:38 PM

Toronto Mike

Diet Coke reference explained: http://www.torontomike.com/2005/04/19_years_ago_today.html

And yeah, I can't wait for the puck to drop. With The Monster between the pipes and Tavares up front, we're good for home ice in the first round.

May 15, 2009 @ 7:41 PM

h

Uh. WTF?
The Leafs are the Best?
Put the pipe down Mike it's time to move on.
You have to admit this replaces "Habs to the Top" as the worst sports-team song ever.

May 16, 2009 @ 3:44 PM

Toronto Mike

I can't find "Habs to the Top", but you know I've got the Humble Howard rip-off "Jays to the Top."

And nothing, I repeat, NOTHING is worse that that one.

May 16, 2009 @ 3:48 PM

h

Aw you are correct it was Jays to the Top aka "Habs to the Top" a parody thing Lumby and I did in Mtl. But your are incorrect..this is way worse. It's a worse song but more pathetic is the constant longing and nostalgia Leafs fans have for a time, any time when the team didn't suck.
Hamilton Coyotes to the Top!

May 17, 2009 @ 12:20 AM

Toronto Mike

Well, since you recorded "Jays to the Top" before 1993, it could be argued the Jays were inspired enough to actually make it to the top.

"Leafs are the Best", however, never resulted in the Leafs actually being the best... or 2nd best, for that matter.

"Leafs are the Best" might just be the least successful sports team novelty song in the history of sports team novelty songs.

May 17, 2009 @ 9:21 AM

Abilene

awsome story man thank you

December 10, 2009 @ 12:27 PM