My Dusty Old Rawlings Fernando Valenzuela Glove

baseballI got my first baseball glove when I was six or seven years old. I played with that plastic Canadian Tire brand glove for years until I received a Black Diamond glove made by Cooper.

That Black Diamond glove was used every day of every summer for years until I received the glove that would see me into adulthood. That glove, which I absolutely adored, was a Rawlings mitt with Fernando Valenzuela's autograph printed in the palm. I've had several gloves since, and it now seems like I go through a glove every 18-months, but I've never had one I've liked as much.

I liked it so much, I couldn't throw it out. The insides were completely eroded when I found her stored in my basement last weekend. Here are my final photos of my old Rawlings Fernando Valenzuela glove before I chucked her.

P5098905 P5098906

twins from bolton

Still have my Cooper glove from early 70's & I still use it as a coach during practices for my son's Rep team. It will be buried with me.

May 15, 2009 @ 7:01 PM

Mike from Lowville

I still use my Rawlings "fastback" model "SG" 96 I bought back in 1982. Keep the leather conditioned inside and out and they should last forever. (unless you play Pro ball) Mine needed re-lacing, twice and still works like a charm. Now.....if I could only hit.

May 16, 2009 @ 10:13 AM

Dana Westerlin

I have the same model glove for sale. I think I purchased it new in 1993, Found your site as I was searching for its value prior to placing it on Craigs List. I used it for one softball season and then stored it. In excellent condition. Can provide a photo if you are interested.

December 6, 2009 @ 8:45 PM

Janet

I have one, practically new, that I got at Goodwill for $4 last year. I use it to help my son practice (little league). It was a tad dried out but a little mineral oil and a few nights under my son's mattress and it's as good as new. I picked it out of the pile because of Fernando's name...I remember sseing him pitch. :-)

March 21, 2011 @ 1:10 PM

Mike

I still use the one that I had since I was a kid. I use it to teach my kids how to play baseball. I just sat down from playig catch.

June 18, 2011 @ 8:26 PM

Mike

June 18, 2011 @ 8:27 PM

Matt

Nice pics, My boy is using mine now, a Fernando Valenzuela, which looks just like yours except my webbing isn't diagonal. I think I used mine, although a little small until I was 15... Babe Ruth ball. Thanks for sharing.

November 26, 2011 @ 11:05 AM

Jeff

I just found my Rawlings RGB4 w/ Fernando Valenzuela's autograph, and I've been trying to figure out when it was made. that's how I got to this site. I remember this being my first new glove, and that it was, at the time, very cool! I dug it out so i could play catch with my grandson, and help out at his practice sessions for the local kids league.

March 28, 2014 @ 2:27 PM

Rob J

Haha, wow! This may be may favourite TM blog entry! I miss Fernandomania...

June 7, 2016 @ 8:12 PM

Catherine Jameson´╗┐

The old things always have a meaningful connection with us! Just like when looking at them, all the memories flow back to us!

January 7, 2017 @ 10:24 AM