Where Do I Go From Here? Or Am I Ruined For All Eternity?

wireYes, this is yet another entry about The Wire. I'm not apologizing. This is my blog and I write about what I dig. I don't remember digging anything as much as I dug The Wire.

It's only been five days since I finished the series finale but already the daily ramifications have been significant. There are three things in particular...

I Miss It

I miss the tremendously interesting characters from The Greatest Show On Television, Ever™. I miss McNulty, Omar, Bodie, Bunk, Freamon and Bubs terribly. I miss them all. I also miss the depth of the writing, the spirit of the show and how The Wire changed the way I think about everything. I feel like I'm in mourning, playing that damn Pogues song all the time and talking about the show to everyone who will listen.

It's Ruined Television

During the past week, I've returned to my regular television viewing habits. Shows I once loved, like Lost, pale when compared to The Wire. Everything seems dumbed down, everything seems sillier, far less compelling and boring now. Now that I've had a taste of The Greatest Show On Television, Ever™, it's painful to watch just about everything else.

Where Do I Go From Here?

I want another Wire. I need something that will grip me like The Wire gripped me, something in the same vein. I've previously enjoyed Oz, Six Feet Under and The Sopranos. Please tell me what I should watch next. What next?

tyrone

If you haven't watched it yet, try "Generation Kill," the HBO remake of the book. Features Ziggy from season two! I've also heard "Homicide" is a nice antidote for "Wire" withdrawl.

April 21, 2009 @ 12:55 PM

Andrew

Generation Kill is also by David Simon.

April 21, 2009 @ 1:37 PM

Mike Kic

I heard a show called "The Corner" which was what "The Wire" was based on....check that out!

April 21, 2009 @ 1:40 PM

Andrew

You won't find a better show. Not right now anyway.

I may sound like a broken record but I have never seen another show that can build characters and plot elements on such a slow burn while making it so engaging at the same time.

The Sorpranos had a lot of dull episodes and (even a season) that didn't go anywhere.
Six Feet Under started out good but then kept repeating itself and just lost me.
Dexter is good but characters like Doakes became a one note and over the top.

Lost is still a good show but for vastly different reasons and still does not hold a candle to The Wire. Even if Lt. Daniels made an appearance.

Every character on The Wire had a purpose and was shown what made them real.

And the show wasn't a "Liberal" show or a "Conservative" show. It was just a damn good show.

Sorry you miss it, Mike. My mourning still continues. Time to watch Episode 1.1 again.

April 21, 2009 @ 2:17 PM

The_Voice

I've always felt this way after DVDing through a TV show. Justice League / Unlimited, The Sopranos, OZ, etc, etc.

You just detox after a bit, and go back to the new old routine!

April 21, 2009 @ 2:56 PM

Toronto Mike

I've seen every episode of Seinfeld and Generation Kill.

I've been reading about The Corner. I'd give that a spin...

I'd better detox because right now even movies seem watered down by comparison.

April 21, 2009 @ 3:01 PM

Toronto Mike

Keep the suggestions coming, pls...

So far, of the shows I haven't seen in their entirety, I've got:

Homicide
The Corner

April 21, 2009 @ 3:05 PM

James Edgarj

I just wish I could watch it. having the DVD's wouldn't even help. It's all Dog whisperer and Oprah on PVR at my house. We have about 6 DVD movies people have lent us that we never watch becuase we are too busy clearing up the PVR. I spend a LOT of time in my garage now. Not all bad of course . There's oil and gas and tools and Motorcycles out there.

Actually I'd rather spend time in the garage now that i think of it.

April 21, 2009 @ 3:09 PM

Stafford

I have all five seasons still in shrink wrap and I'm waiting for the appropriate moment. Kinda like holding a hypo stuffed with the greatest drug ever from what you've been blogging, Mike!

As for other shows...boxed sets, etc. Have you seen Arrested Development?

April 21, 2009 @ 3:35 PM

Stafford

P.S. How do you do the "TM" thingy? Keyboard mapping?

April 21, 2009 @ 3:36 PM

Toronto Mike

The HTML for the TM thingy is ™

As for Arrested Development, one of my favourite shows of all time!

April 21, 2009 @ 3:39 PM

tyrone

I forgot to mention this before, but you should also give "Rescue Me" a shot if you haven't watched it... Denis Leary is pretty awesome in that.

April 21, 2009 @ 5:51 PM

jason | getyouroj.com

we all know you're way to busy on twitter to have time to watch tv

unless you're multi-talking..

- House is the best show on TV

- Curb Your Enthusiam is something I kinda missed and am getting into.

April 21, 2009 @ 6:14 PM

jason | getyouroj.com

and by multitalking i meant multitasking

April 21, 2009 @ 6:15 PM

Alison

Dexter,
Nip/Tuck (I love this, husband not so much...)
Rescue Me

April 21, 2009 @ 6:21 PM

brian

dexter without a doubt
rescue me is a great show
weeds is brilliant

April 21, 2009 @ 7:10 PM

brian

and track down durham county miniseries. pretty cool show. hugh dillon did a great job, which led me to get flashpoint, but i havn't watched it yet.

April 21, 2009 @ 7:13 PM

Jill

I feel your pain. I think The Voice gives you the best advice as he too relates to your time of loss and mourning....
You just detox after a bit, and go back to the new old routine!

Have you checked out the documentary "Long way round and Long way down yet?"
I still thin you will enjoy.
Also check out this link...

April 21, 2009 @ 7:59 PM

B. Carter

BREAKING BAD!

Don't miss this one Mike.
Season 2 is currently underway

Sweaty palm tense

April 21, 2009 @ 9:29 PM

Nova Scotia Matt

Have you watched the Band of Brothers mini series yet? I'm heavy into military related stuff, and not so much into crime or law type shows, so the Soprano's and what I've seen of the Wire didn't really do it for me. Band of Brothers is easily my favourite series out there. Generation Kill was also excellent.

April 21, 2009 @ 11:12 PM

elvis

I also hear HBO's ROME is pretty good.

April 22, 2009 @ 6:01 AM

Toronto Mike

I loved Band of Brothers.

I also watch Curb Your Enthusiasm, Dexter, Rescue Me and Weeds.

I tried but didn't choose to stick with House and Durham County.

I haven't yet sampled Rome, Breaking Bad (which I've never heard of), Nip/Tuck or Long Way Round.

You guys are good at this... keep 'em coming.

April 22, 2009 @ 9:08 AM

Andrew

I would say Breaking Bad is supposed to be good. I have yet to watch it. But Brian Cranston won an Emmy for it this year. Of course, a lot of crap have won an Emmy and the Wire never won one.

If you want to watch a really slow burn type of show then watch Mad Men. It has some great performances but it is a not much really happens kind of show.

April 22, 2009 @ 9:19 AM

The Voice

The HBO Documentary Series "From the Earth to the Moon". Currently on TMN onDemand I think.

Deadwood is something I want to finish (but Showcase stopped showing it).

Firefly. Corner Gas. The West Wing.

April 23, 2009 @ 12:15 AM