Updating Facebook Status From Twitter Tweets

FBWhen I got into Twitter, I all but abandoned my Facebook account. In fact, my Facebook status message read "Follow me on Twitter @ www.twitter.com/torontomike."

A member of my slo-pitch team asked me earlier today about updating her Facebook status messages via Twitter. I always knew how to do this, but I had never implemented it myself, so today I decided to marry the two social networking tools.

It's quite simple if you want to do this yourself. Here are the two steps.

1. Install this Twitter App in Facebook
  2. Click the "Want Twitter to update your Facebook status?" link

That's it. Now, when I tweet via Twitter, it automatically updates my Facebook status message with the same content.

If you've got a Facebook account but prefer broadcasting with Twitter, bang this off in 2 minutes and thank me later.

The_Voice

Best part about it? Tweets that start with the @ reply don't show up as a status :)

April 15, 2009 @ 6:39 PM

Jill

Tried to thank you via Twitter but unable to.....some kind of Microsoft error. Anyways keep the Twitter Tutorials coming.

April 15, 2009 @ 8:14 PM

Toronto Mike

Actually, I got your direct message via Twitter. Twice!

And I replied...

April 15, 2009 @ 8:17 PM

Down Goes Brown

Please don't do this. At least, not if you tweet often.

The old facebook allowed users to tweak their preferences so that they could see more or less of certain types of updates -- more photos, fewer status updates, more new friends, fewer notes, whatever. There were also algorithms behind the scenes that would figure out which friends you liked seeing updates from.

The new facebook doesn't have these features, or at least not in any sort of user-controlled way. Now, the homepage is a free-for-all.

So if you tweet a lot and you feed this into your facebook page, you may end up basically taking over your friends' homepages. And a lot of facebook folks are getting cranky about this.

Hopefully facebook will bring back some customization and everyone can be happy. But in the meantime, remember that at least some of your friends are probably thinking "If I wanted to see all your twitter updates, I'd be on twitter".

April 16, 2009 @ 10:27 AM

Toronto Mike

I thought Facebook wanted to be more like Twitter? The new redesign is clearly an attempt at Twitterfying the Facebook space.

Look at it this way, this is a good way to separate your Facebook friends from your real friends.

If you love somebody, tweet often and see if they drop you as a Facebook friend. If they do, they weren't really your friend to begin with. If they don't, you know it's the real deal.

April 16, 2009 @ 10:35 AM

Sammi

Twitter and anyone who uses it are just one step closer to being controlled. It's what 'they' want you to do....

April 16, 2009 @ 11:50 AM

Daniel

Great, now my Facebook news feed is spammed by your annoying tweets.

I'm not unfriending you, I'm just setting it so that nothing from you appears in my feed :p

April 16, 2009 @ 5:23 PM

Toronto Mike

Hey DGB, Daniel's able to set it so nothing from a certain friend appears in the feed!

I'm not a good FB friend anyway. I don't share pictures there, or comment on walls, or even change up my profile pic.

This here is my Facebook!

April 16, 2009 @ 5:30 PM

The_Voice

I'm surprised, Mike, that your RSS from here doesn't feed directly into your Facebook. Then you'd REALLY take up everyone's home page ;)

April 17, 2009 @ 11:34 AM

Toronto Mike

Actually, it kind of does.

Here's how it's working....

My RSS from this blog auto tweets via TwitterFeed.

Tweets auto update my Facebook status message.

Therefore, RSS from this blog automatically gets published as a Facebook status message.

We'll see how many FB friends I still have at the end of the month.

April 17, 2009 @ 11:54 AM

Colleen

What I ended up doing was installing TweetDeck which allows me to update Twitter and FB simultaneously. Each time I Tweet, I have the choice of putting it on FB or Twitter or both. I just leave the app open while I am online and it updates me on both Twitter and FB status updates. It works for me!

April 18, 2009 @ 8:03 PM