The Facebook Fiends vs. the Twitter Followers

TwitterIn the beginning, there was MySpace. Back in 2005, I created a MySpace page for my buddy Custom because they had a music player and all the bands had pages. MySpace was (and is) a cesspool of poor design, trolls and annoying teens. I never created a MySpace account for myself.

Then, after a great deal of resistance, I succumbed and got myself a Facebook account in the summer of 2007. I was in a running group that started scheduling runs via a Facebook group, so I really had to play the game or step aside.

Facebook was kind of neat for a week or so, but quickly became stale. I figured my lack of passion for Facebook had something to do with the fact I already had a web presence where I could share notes, pictures and links. Still, Facebook was a great deal more pleasurable than MySpace, and many of my friends were passionate users.

Just last year, I started to tweet via Twitter. It's been about five months, and I'm enjoying this social networking tool more today than ever. It's micro-blogging with a mobile slant, an ideal complement to my blog. The real-time buzz detection via those select few I follow enriches the content over here, and keeps my ear to the ground. I enjoy Twitter about ten times as much as I enjoyed Facebook. I now find myself recruiting Facebook friends to the Twitter fold.

I find there are three types of people in the Social Networking kingdom. The Facebook Fiends, the Twitter Followers and the Twitbook Teeter-Totters.

Facebook Fiends - You know these guys... They embraced Facebook in 2006 or 2007 and haven't looked back. As die-hard Facebook fiends, this community hogs the bulk of their online life and they wouldn't consider leaving. They're too invested in Facebook to switch to Twitter.

Twitter Followers - These are people like me, who tried Facebook but prefer Twitter. The promotional potential of Twitter brought us over, but the value-add of those we follow keep us there. We've essentially said goodbye to Facebook and are now loyal Tweeters in the Twitter kingdom.

Twitbook Teeter-Totters - These are Facebook fans who get the attraction of Twitter. Twitbook Teeter-Totters haven't switched but maintain both. How many people do you know that dupe their Tweets as Facebook status messages? That's who I'm referring to here. They couldn't pick a community, so they manage both.

Which one are you?

stephanie Wilkinson

I would probably tweet more than Facebook (I'm fairly certain I am over the median age of Facebook) but Rogers doesn't seem to make twittering easy on my always-with-me Blackberry. There are parts of my day when I'm out and about and unable to get to a real desktop/laptop that I wish I could just send out an update. Facebook for Blackberry just isn't quite 'it'.

March 16, 2009 @ 6:38 PM

Chris Fyvie

How about the Tweeting Blog Boosters?

I find it tough but try and keep a good balance between self promotion and cool websites.

March 16, 2009 @ 6:48 PM

Toronto Mike

Stephanie, this is the problem with Rogers. My work pays my invoice, so I don't care, but only Bell seems to get it.

This is all part of Canada being a digital ghetto. It's embarrassing.

March 16, 2009 @ 6:49 PM

James Edgar

I'm twittering thanks to you and Brian Burke. Nobody is following. (Not Even you :( )I also have facebook account. I update both usualy differently. But don't have a BB so no mobile updates on either. I don't do Myspace. I'm not really certain where i fit in your scale.

March 16, 2009 @ 6:55 PM

Toronto Mike

James Edgar, what's your Twitter account?

In fact, everyone who reads this entry should drop their Twitter addy in these comments.

I'll start. I'm Toronto Mike and I'm at http://www.twitter.com/torontomike

March 16, 2009 @ 6:57 PM

Buffalo Boy Mike

I cant get into either, primarily a time thing. There are days I barely have time for buffaloboy updates never mind FAcebook and crap like that.

March 16, 2009 @ 9:05 PM

Toronto Mike

BBM, with Twitterfeed, your BBM.com RSS feed can auto-create your Tweets.

March 16, 2009 @ 9:12 PM

Andrew

I am so out of touch. I have never ever ever twittered or read a twitter. I am usually pretty up-to-speed on these kinds of things but this one has just escaped me.

March 17, 2009 @ 8:38 AM

Mike from Lowville

I'm a Face and a Twit(flame on Mike from Lowville haters) have more on Face and Twit is fairly new. Still figuring it out. Good weather is coming so, won't have much time for both. Got a Twit HowHum a few days ago. That was good!

March 17, 2009 @ 10:30 AM

Toronto Mike

It's interesting that Humble never did create a Facebook account, but he's on Twitter. Meanwhile, Freddie P is on Facebook, without a Twitter account.

March 17, 2009 @ 10:34 AM

Jill

I am a Twitbook Teeter-Totterer. Still trying to figure out Twitter....but I like perusing the quick updates of people I follow in Twitterville.

March 17, 2009 @ 5:57 PM

Court Bethune

Definitely a Twitter Follower... No question!

Twitter allows tweeps to network with those in their industry and helps people network.

March 19, 2009 @ 4:47 PM

Cameron A.

I signed up to Twitter fairly recently - I'm at http://twitter.com/sweetposerent since I'm allowed to shill. I was also a relative latecomer to Facebook.

I prefer Twitter for its promotional potential and the fact that you're forced to say a lot in 140 characters. I'll maintain my Facebook once in a while, but it's clogged with too many gimmicks.

March 19, 2009 @ 6:33 PM

james edgar

Ok now I'm geting twets to my phone. I'll try that for a few days. God thing I have unlimited text :)

March 24, 2009 @ 8:19 PM

jona

So Twitter is awesome for Taking traffic to you website . It is very
simple to setup and its a fun positive way to keep in contact with
people. To get more followers on twitter check out this amazing
tool.Twitter Traffic Machine

May 3, 2009 @ 8:38 AM

Iain Reid

Interesting post. While I agree with what you are saying in principle, surely to build a large social network you need to use as many tools as possible? I guess it depends on who you want to be?

November 25, 2009 @ 3:30 PM