Reusing Water Bottles

waterI like to take my 1.5 litre water bottle, fill it with spring water and freeze it. I freeze it for about 8 hours until it's freezing cold with chunks of ice that will fit through the mouth of the bottle. Then, I take it down.

Many people have told me I'm killing myself by reusing the plastic container that bottled water comes in. I've been told it causes cancer, and that freezing water over and over again releases some kind of cancer-causing chemical agent. I'm not looking for trouble, so I did what anyone would do in this day and age. I Googled it.

According to snopes.com, a source I've come to trust for facts when it comes to such heresy, this isn't true. I can reuse my PET-based bottles in this fashion without fear such carcinogens are being leached into my ice water.

I know it's a strange quirk, but it's my strange quirk, and I'm just glad it's not killing me.

Jason | GetYourOJ.com

Some plastics are safe and others are not.

You really shouldn't use the same plastic water bottle over and over.. beyond what any 'fact' says it seems like common sense to me...

it's PLASTIC

March 10, 2009 @ 7:20 PM

dale

I work for a co. that prints many items including water bottle labels (Ice River & Nestle). Since late 2007 printing of the labels have reduced substanitailly & will continue this year.
2-3 years from now the plastic bottles will become obsolete as MANY jurisdictions in Ont. eliminatng them in parks, Gov't offices, schools.
Certain grocery stores are not carrying as many variety's as before.

March 10, 2009 @ 7:31 PM

elvis

Get yourself a permanent type of water container that isn't plastic - try MEC.

Jason's right - it's PLASTIC! Can't be good for you no matter what they say.

March 10, 2009 @ 7:50 PM

andrew

Buy a water cooler & use it, not plastic as it does break down over usage.

March 10, 2009 @ 8:01 PM

Stephanie Wilkinson

We (all four of us) use the SIGG water bottles in various sizes as they're metal and keep them filled and in the fridge which keeps them cold-cold-cold! We have one (not SIGG) that is 1.5 litres.

Years ago I used to just fill up a bottle like you but I remember one day just thinking it felt strange - I guess it was just breaking down.

March 10, 2009 @ 9:24 PM

Andrew

I reuse plastic bottles all the time. THe cancer scare was just plain stupid.

Andrew with a capital "A" who is this other guy?

March 10, 2009 @ 11:08 PM

James Edgar

Good thing nobody has any of that plastic tupperware stuff they have used over and over again for years or maybe decades.After all it's made of PLASTIC. the most toxic stubstance known to mankind. Good thing we don't use it for almost everything. Or do we?

March 11, 2009 @ 5:08 AM

Buffalo Boy Mike

ISn't Yogurt, milk, tubs of butter/margirine, orange juice, bread, all sold to one degree or another in plastic containers.
Even if plastic was leaching into your reused water look at it this way:
1. whats the is the chance that enough plastic has leached into it to make it harmful?
It takes a million years for the bottles to biodegrade so it can't be much.
2. You do drink it right? You don't just let it sit in the bottle for 100 days, I would be more worried if you let it sit in the bottle, wait a sec, when you originally buy the water, isn't it sitting on the shelf for god knows how long?
Nothing to worry about I say, although I do notice that the water gets a funky taste after so many uses because I get the three quart poland spring bottles and reuse them.

March 11, 2009 @ 7:48 AM

Mike from Lowville

Believe me Mike, it's not good. Chemicals leech from the plastics with extreme temperature change. Have you heard of the stuff in pop cans? Glad I stopped drinking that before my tits got hold of that stuff!

March 11, 2009 @ 8:40 AM

Toronto Mike

Do no doctors read this site? I want to hear from a doctor....

Wikipedia says it's not harmful and that the DEHA concerns is an urban legend. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reusing_water_bottles#DEHA_and_dioxin_urban_legends

Let's not confuse this with concerns about BPA. That's a different kettle of fish completely.

March 11, 2009 @ 9:04 AM

Sammi

It's plastic, Mike. Made from chemicals and petroleum products and by-products. If you drastically change the temperature, it leeches into the water.

Why would you want to hear from a doctor. They are all brainwashed from the pharmaceutical industry anyway.

March 11, 2009 @ 9:25 AM

Ray

Everything in my freezer is in some kind of container or wrap, most of which is some sort of plastic! What do your chicken fingers come packaged in?

Why does everybody think they're a scientist? Plastic will leach out? Says who? Why do people sooo want to believe this crap?

March 11, 2009 @ 10:36 AM

Daniel

Did you expect mere facts to sway the opinions of the brainwashed, paranoid masses? Hahah

It's PLASTIC, and so is a massive portion of the items that we've been using to store our food for decades. We use it for utensils, for food and drinks, we freeze it, we put it in the microwave.

I find it amusing and alarming how so many people jump on the fear bandwagon without even knowing the details.

March 11, 2009 @ 12:01 PM

Buffalo Boy Mike

Hell PEOPLE WE PUT OUR BEER IN IT TOO!!!!!!

March 11, 2009 @ 12:39 PM

jason | getyouroj.com

Oh well if Wikipedia says so...

...forget I said anything, Wikipedia is a better source than plain old common sense... yup.. it has been since about... oh... 1984

And for those of you saying 'my this and that comes in plastic' yeah... and? Do you re-use that over and over?

Likely not.

But go ahead... by all means... take the chance...

it's not about a fear bandwagon it's about risk management which boils down to common sense

try using it.

March 11, 2009 @ 6:10 PM

Tee

I can't believe you drink dihydrogen oxide. It's a chemical, byproduct of burnt hydrogen. Who needs science and doctors when you have common sense.

March 11, 2009 @ 6:59 PM

Toronto Mike

Another cause for y'all.

"Who needs science and doctors when you have common sense."

I love that statement... I'm ironing it on a tee shirt right now.

March 12, 2009 @ 9:08 AM

Ray

Common sense!?! There's nothing sensible about making sh*t up and then believing it as fact.

March 12, 2009 @ 9:10 AM

Annemarie

I do that.

"Everything in moderation".

Water bottles/plastics aren't all we should worry about.

March 13, 2009 @ 4:06 AM

ElaineG

If you are concerned about something check a reliable and authoritive source, not Wikipedia, http://www.consumerfraudreporting.org or http://www.plasticsinfo.org/s_plasticsinfo/sec_level2_faq.asp?CID=705&DID=2839 Can freezing a PET beverage bottle cause dioxins to leach into its contents?
This is the subject of another e-mail hoax. There simply is no scientific basis to support the claim that PET bottles will release dioxin when frozen. Dioxins are a family of chemical compounds that are produced by combustion at extremely high temperatures. They can only be formed at temperatures well above 700 degrees Fahrenheit; they cannot be formed at room temperature or in freezing temperatures. Moreover, there is no reasonable scientific basis for expecting dioxins to be present in plastic food or beverage containers in the first place.

The biggest fear should be the lack of thoroughly washing the bottle frequently.

June 16, 2009 @ 6:22 PM

Jason S

Mike,

About plastic bottles. The first problem with your question is that you assume all plastics are the same. They're not. Different plastics have different uses, and yes, some degrade and leak over time.

You should not use the disposble plastic bottles (a typical water bottle for example# more than once. It's a "one shot" item and I've read many articles #some scientific# where the actually producers of the bottle tell people to recycle the bottle after use, don't continue to re-use it.

Now concerning freezing and re-using plastic bottles. Some may be able to handle it, some may not. It will probably depend on the plastic. If I were you, on the safe side, I'd use stainless steel.

Maybe only a small amount of plastic leaks out, but over time, and since you are taking it everyday, there is an accumulation effect.

In general, plastics are not that good for foods anyway.

>>They were then given two polycarbonate bottles and asked to drink all cold beverages from them during the next week. A study found that participants who drank for a week from polycarbonate bottles showed a 69 per cent increase in their urine of BPA, which mimics the female sex hormone oestrogen.
>>Previous studies have suggested that high levels of BPA consumption are linked to birth defects, growth problems and an increased risk of heart disease and diabetes.

More on BPA

More on plastics in general here.

Btw, don't expect the media to hand you the truth, especially about subjects like health. If anything, they try to obscure the truth, sad as that may sound. The world revolves around money and you'd be quite surprised by who owns what.

Anyway, hopefully this is a little bit informative. Bottom line: Use glass or stainless steel and if you have to use plastics, know which kind you are using.

June 18, 2009 @ 12:04 PM

Another Mike

That frozen plastic bottle can be reused for other things.
Examples
A cold pack either personal or to keep items cool.
A drip plant waterer.
A rolling pin
A throw at a target game
A weapon
A pool float toy
A massage tool
A quick short shower or hand clensing.
And now you think of even more reuses.
Billions of these botle are made and disgarded every day.
If we can reuse them to cause other plastic items never to be made . We actuually have done something.

September 25, 2009 @ 9:58 AM

Matt

They don't mention anything about reusing plastic water bottles as being safe. They mention using it "as intended." Which is once, then recycled.

April 1, 2010 @ 11:17 PM