Jon Stewart vs Jim Cramer: For Americans Only?

Stewart vs. CramerI watched The Daily Show on Thursday night. That's right, I stayed up past my normal 11pm bedtime and watched the Jon Stewart ~ Jim Cramer Smack Down. It was great television, so I wanted to share the episode here. TheDailyShow.com made the full episode available online, so I went over to grab the embeddable code.

Here's the link, but if you're in Canada, don't bother clicking. In Canada, The Daily Show with Jon Stewart is available on the CTV Broadband Network.

I clicked the link for the CTV Broadband Network, and sure enough, there's a link to watch episodes. That's when they throw you at the CTV Video Library. The CTV Video Library did indeed have the clips I was looking for, but CTV doesn't do what every other video clip service does in 2009. CTV doesn't give web authors HTML for embedding the video into his or her site. I could watch the episode, but I couldn't drop the video here. CTV needs to get an e-clue.

Buffalo Boy lives in Buffalo (surprise!), and he didn't have this problem. He got to go to The Daily Show's site where the clips were easily embeddable. Heck, Buffalo Boy did it, proof that it's not rocket surgery.

Here's Jon Stewart vs. Jim Cramer. Of course, only 21.27% of you will see it. Pity...

The Daily Show with Jon Stewart's Unedited Jim Cramer Interview Pt. 1

The Daily Show with Jon Stewart's Unedited Jim Cramer Interview Pt. 2

The Daily Show with Jon Stewart's Unedited Jim Cramer Interview Pt. 3

The_Voice

Why didn't you PVR it rather than stay up ;)

March 14, 2009 @ 10:55 AM

Toronto Mike

The funny thing is, I did PVR it! I record all Daily Shows and Colbert Reports.

I watched Thursday's Colbert Report last night, before hockey.

March 14, 2009 @ 10:58 AM

Ron

While I enjoy watching Cramer every night, one must remember the show is primarily entertainment. The financial networks exist to promote their advertisers financial and investment products. Who would expect them to warn about the credit bubble or coming Washington national debt collapse which will destroy much of the remaining private wealth in America today or what this will do to the dollar, the stock market, bonds, gold or the real estate market.

China is now worried about their dangerous over investment in US Treasury obligations. Washington ’s long-term choice is either repudiation or monetization. For monetization to be effective, the depreciation in the dollar would have to be substantial and this in turn would dramatically raise prices of imports for American consumers which would mean a tremendous drop in foreign imports. Debt monetization would cause more disruption to exporting nations than selective repudiation of Treasury debt.

The Campaign to Cancel the Washington National Debt By 12/22/2013 Constitutional Amendment is starting now in the U.S. See: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=67594690498&ref=ts

Thanks,

Ron

March 14, 2009 @ 1:46 PM

Daniel

Assuming you have access to a server located in the US, check out my article on how to work around this kind of limitation:

All you need is a server that you can SSH into... Any unix-based OS should do, or even a friend with a Mac could help you out.

March 14, 2009 @ 2:33 PM

Alison

This has been driving me crazy ever since TV shows started streaming on the web. Even if I could figure out Daniel's instructions I don't have access to a server in the US.

March 14, 2009 @ 2:52 PM

Daniel

Allison,

There are also some free services out there that "anonymize" your browsing by acting as a proxy for you. My method is the same idea, just without a third party service.

One that looks decent is http://www.the-cloak.com/anonymous-surfing-home.html

March 14, 2009 @ 3:03 PM

Buffalo Boy Mike

Ron,
Well I think the whole point of what Stewart lambasted him for was that what Cramer does and what all the analysts on CNBC do is NOT entertainment. People listen to them and follow their advice witht heir hard earned money and to be as wrong as Cramer is and as often as he is is absolutely shamefull.

March 14, 2009 @ 6:41 PM

Toronto Mike

Daniel, sure there are ways to anonymize, but as a web author, you can't embed video if 75% of your readers need to anonymize to see it.

March 15, 2009 @ 3:00 PM

Horonymous

I don't mind CTV or Viacom not letting me watch content from US sites by Geo-Blocking me. What I detest is that I can't even go to the sites to have a look around and read. If CTV is going to hijack US sites they should at least make it easy to find content on the CTV site. But because it is CTV they do a very poor job of it.

March 16, 2009 @ 4:01 PM