Hold Your Laughter: I Now Have A PVR

TVYou guys can stop laughing at me now. Toronto Mike has entered the 21st century. I now have a PVR.

I made the decision two weeks ago, but only hooked it up last night. I've got it recording a few of my favourite shows, a couple for my wife and a few for the kids.

I can already see it's going to dramatically change the way we watch television. This fun new television toy comes at a time when I'm watching less "television" than ever before. I'm 4 episodes into the 60 episode arc of The Wire and I'm hooked. Every episode is like a really good movie. It might be some time before I actually reap the benefits of this PVR, but at least I'll feel current.

The Mind of a Mom

Wait i'm confused, did you say "just" LoL

March 12, 2009 @ 11:04 AM

James Edgar

Welcome to the club.

You will love that thing.

Unless it's taken over by someone you're living with and No Motorcycle racing ever gets recorded.

Then it may just mock you with Oprah at all hours of the day.

March 12, 2009 @ 11:15 AM

Ajax Mike

Be wary of the 'Record this show any day, any time' option. Lest your HD be filled with Every episode x 4 of Paranormal State on A&E. *rolls eyes*

I like to try and record my shows from the time-shifted channels, late at night. Less chance of them interfering with one-another, since you can only record two shows at the same time.

March 12, 2009 @ 11:27 AM

Andrew

I expect a season 1 review of the Wire!

March 12, 2009 @ 12:26 PM

The_Voice

I expect a "1 week later" comment on the PVR. Any further comments on the PVR before then will be too early ;)

March 12, 2009 @ 12:37 PM

Toronto Mike

The Wire will be written about following each season.

March 12, 2009 @ 2:13 PM

Chemmy

One thing we do with a PVR is record shows even if we're going to watch them "live". We record Lost and then sit down 20 minutes after it starts. Then we can skip all the commercials, hooray!

March 12, 2009 @ 2:18 PM

Andrew

That's the way I usually watch Lost myself, Chemmy. Miss the commericals and still be done by 10. What's not to like?

March 12, 2009 @ 2:55 PM

brian

it will become a compulsion during hockey games. we start sabres games about an hour in, then ffw through commercials & between periods. i get so aggravated when i catch up in the 3rd period and i keep hitting ffw at each break in the action and nothing happens. and pausing live tv is awesome when you have kids.

March 12, 2009 @ 3:37 PM

Stafford

Enjoy the toy.

FYI: The Wire series finale ends in a New Jersey soda shop with "Don't Stop Believing" playing in the background and the main character looking up before cutting to black.

Or was that "Sex And The City"?

March 12, 2009 @ 3:49 PM

Annemarie

I am sooo jealous.

March 12, 2009 @ 3:53 PM

Toronto Mike

I'm pretty sure that Journey ending was Six Feet Under...

March 12, 2009 @ 4:15 PM

Ajax Mike

Nuh-uh. Seinfeld.

March 12, 2009 @ 10:07 PM

Toronto Mike

Seinfeld ended? I thought I just saw George hook up with Vivica A Fox...

While I watched the leafs, my PVR recorded 30 Rock tonight. What an age I live in.

March 12, 2009 @ 10:10 PM

The_Voice

I now don't know if the "Don't Stop Believing" thing is a joke... as I do know that Toronto Mike *knows* what show ends that way ;)

March 13, 2009 @ 12:19 PM

Toronto Mike

I've actually written a lot about that Six Feet Under ending.

March 13, 2009 @ 12:25 PM