Dear Aunt Agnes, Dear Aunt Agnes

memoryYouTube user Retrontario frequently uploads fantastic retro-Toronto-centric gems. These clips never fail to bring back a ton of memories for me, so I feature them from time to time.

I used to watch Dear Aunt Agnes on TVOntario in the mid-80s. It was about as low budget as you can get, but we didn't care. I don't think you could get kids to watch Dear Aunt Agnes in 2009.

After this clip, I'll hit you up with the lyrics to the memorable theme songs. If you're my age, you already know them by heart.

Dear Aunt Agnes, remember
You said you'd help me out if you could
Well my job is taking me far away
To leave the children just wouldn't be good
If you would say you would come and stay
You'd be the best aunt a girl ever had
Dear Aunt Agnes, Dear Aunt Agnes
Won't you come and stay?

Anonymous

I think this is Agnes's sister.

March 23, 2009 @ 7:06 PM

Anonymous

At least Goldie got to retire, unfortuately Aunt Agnes was eaten by Polkaroo.

March 23, 2009 @ 8:10 PM

jason | getyouroj.com

*shudder*

now THIS.. this offends me

March 24, 2009 @ 7:36 AM

dani

thanks for posting dear aunt agnes!
occasionally, the theme song would pop into my head (and become an ear worm), and sometimes i wondered if i imagined the whole show... low-budget is an understatement! :)

April 29, 2009 @ 4:22 AM

Harry

Yeah. low budget, but in terms of quality, it was very high budget! Nowadays, all we have is garbage on TV. :( I love this show! I still enjoy the many episodes I have.

November 13, 2009 @ 1:40 AM

K. Addison

And, whoever said that high budget equates to high quality is a damn fool! We have seen how wrong this adage can be, especially in light of "Dear Agnes", which has grown to be dear to our hearts, proving that unfounded myth totally wrong! Thank you to the cast and crew of Dear Agnes for the incredible memories.

November 25, 2009 @ 12:50 AM

Aunt Agnes

Here's the theme song, just uploaded it to Utubez

December 18, 2009 @ 1:03 PM

D-Money

I'm looking for this show as well as square one and the Edison Twins. I grew up in the 80's and all these shows were a big part of my life. I'd really love my kids to be able to experience them as I did, but I can of find them anywhere. Any ideas on who might have them?

March 10, 2013 @ 9:55 PM

Doug

I loved this show when I was a kid and I remember having a crush on the niece....Alex I think was her name on the show..she's probably in her mid 40's now!

December 9, 2015 @ 11:52 PM