Ticketmaster and TicketsNow Bullshit

ticketstubI got so pissed off at Ticketmaster after buying Hip tickets through them in 2004 that I secured the #1 spot in Google for I hate Ticketmaster searches. The way they gouge us is criminal, but this recent TicketNow nonsense is total bullshit.

If you haven't heard...

There was a flurry of political activity in the United States yesterday after scores of New Jersey residents said they were unable to buy tickets to Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band online from Ticketmaster.com, the exclusive agent, and were redirected to another site owned by Ticketmaster, TicketsNow.com, where prices were several times the original face value.

Here in Toronto, Springsteen fans are anxiously awaiting noon tomorrow, when tickets for the May 7 Springsteen concert at the Air Canada Centre go on sale. But get this, tickets for the show have already appeared at TicketsNow. Clearly Ticketmaster is taking hot tickets and switching them to their scalper site so they can mark-up the price even further, keeping all additional profits for themselves.

If I thought the gouging was bad in 2004, the Canadian Press reported last month that some tickets for a recent Killers concert here in Toronto, originally priced at $44, were resold on TicketsNow for as much as $1,999.

I hate Ticketmaster.

Mississauga Mike

Wow, I wonder what they're doing for Jerry Seinfeld in Toronto. For the first time in a long time I was shut out of tickets from Ticketmaster.

My Killers tickets came to $59.50 + $11 convenience fee on Ticketmaster.

February 5, 2009 @ 3:57 PM

Daniel

I agree, Ticketmaster is a ripoff and I hate when an event goes exclusively through them.

February 5, 2009 @ 5:43 PM

Jason | GetYourOJ.com

if some idiot with bad taste wants to go see the killers for two thousand dollars my god it's hard to blame 'the man'

but ticketmaster has always sucked too bad pearl jam a.k.a. the nickelback of the 90's pussied out of fighting the good fight against them

February 5, 2009 @ 6:18 PM

Horonymous

Nothing new here. Ticketmaster, the crooks, do the same for most concerts, Coldplay, AC/DC etc...

At least we don't need to line up outside anymore.

February 5, 2009 @ 7:11 PM

Toronto Mike

I was okay with the wristband policy. Hand 'em out at 10am at each Ticketmaster location and randomly pick the # that's first in line.

And Jason, I'll ignore that "Nickelback of the 90s" crack. We know you're just pulling an Argie.

February 5, 2009 @ 7:41 PM

Fredericton Steve

Hey Jason, you can drop the "my music is better than yours" any day now.

And for the record Pearl Jam did file a complaint with the antitrust division of the DOJ which ruled against them, in fact stating that it was the venue that should be bringing the complaint.

February 5, 2009 @ 8:07 PM

twins from bolton

I know of 2 people at work with Springsteen tik's in their hands late today.
How is this possible?

February 5, 2009 @ 8:10 PM

Fredericton Steve

are they season ticket holders at the ACC? They generally get an in house pre-sale.

February 5, 2009 @ 8:15 PM

Toronto Mike

Via email.

We own 6 seats at ACC so we get the advance seats for major concerts. Sort of the first right of refusal. So Joe gets an email on Wednesday morning saying the advance window for ACC holders is Wednesday from 10-4. He tried 6 times and the phone went to busy every time. He never got the tickets that were his to say yes to.

I'm thinking this was a bigger SNAFU... More like FUBAR.

I went to Madonna, someone else at our office wanted to see Brittany ... But we're always given more than a few hours notice. We were given days notice... You're right... Something smells.

February 5, 2009 @ 8:20 PM

Buffalo Boy Mike

First of all, I would assume that those Killers tickets for $2000 went unsold because no idiot in their right mind would pay that much for a concert, I don't care if Elvis Presley himself dug himself out of his own grave and was playing across the street from my house, Im not paying $2000 for a concert ticket.
Ticketmaster is so full of shit why are they still pulling this crap. Tickets.com and other venues have sprouted here in Buffalo. but essentially, its the same thing handling fees, ticket surcharges and bogus crap that brings the cost of the ticket about 33% higher than you figured to pay.
In Pearl Jams defense, first they are a trillion times better than Nickelback and shame on you for saying that about them...Second, they did try to fight the good fight but I think TM has way more lobbyists in Washington than Pearl Jam can handle.

February 5, 2009 @ 9:19 PM

james edgar

Back in the day..There was a thing called BASS (best availble seat system?) they got bought by or morphed into ticketmaster. Even in the late 70's we figured they held back the best seats for scalpers. I know even being first in line at outlets more than once I never got close to the front of a show. I could get decent gardens seats but never floors . I'm not even remotely suprised crap like this is going on now. I will say that I went online the AC/DC seats went on sale for the November show and got floors.Second section back and a little to the side but they were still good seats. They were selling the same seats I paid $99 (plus "Service" $36) on there scalping site for around $1000

February 5, 2009 @ 9:24 PM

Jason | GetYourOJ.com

yet again i have to state that just because i air my opinion about a particular band doesn't mean you people don't have every right to like them.

after all, we all know what often (but not always) happens to a band that becomes too popular..

it's not like i was attacking anyone personally. i only do that to people who still listen to the edge ;-)

and yes... pearl jam are better than nickelback...

and no... my music isn't 'better than yours'...

February 5, 2009 @ 9:30 PM

james edgar

ha I just noticed the banner. I actually worked at Mothers! I got fired from there. Only place I was ever fired from. I burnt some pizzas when I thought the guy I was working with was taking over when my shift ended. I liked there Pizza. Except the burnt ones.

February 5, 2009 @ 9:52 PM

elvis

I would agree - Pearl Jam sucks. (sorry, had to say that again).

I would pay $2000 to see Elvis.

But in all seriousness, change will only come from (a) musicians who band together in a united front against these crooks - one mega-band or a group of fans will not change TM's ways or (b) legislation and regulation.

February 6, 2009 @ 8:56 AM

Gary

Funny you mentioned BASS James. When I was in high school in the 70's a guy at school who's mom worked at BASS was always walking around with a handfull of tickets for shows.

February 6, 2009 @ 9:47 AM

Stephanie Wilkinson

I would never have remembered BASS by myself but I remember they were always yellow ticket with blue on the end... or was that the first days of Ticketmaster?

February 6, 2009 @ 10:18 AM

James Edgar

Gary, Not suprised even a little bit.

February 6, 2009 @ 10:24 AM

James Edgar

I remember because I kept some of my stubs. I kept my stub from the AC/DC show in november and just added it to the stub from AC/DC in 1978 and it was a bass ticket. My Bass tickets are pink.

February 6, 2009 @ 10:31 AM

Mississauga Mike

The $2000 is a little insane too, anybody willing to actually fork over that money for 2 hours of entertainment clearly doesn't have money issues or notices the service fees.

Last year on their tour The Raconteurs (for select venues) did will-call only or made you provide ID for the tickets which is cool but you can still resell them outside of the venue, it'd just be tougher. Ironically for that show I actually had an extra ticket and sold it for face value to somebody off of craigslist.

And thanks for the heads up on Springsteen tickets, I had no idea they went on sale today! :D Here's hoping I don't get shut out for the second time in 5 days.

February 6, 2009 @ 11:19 AM

Mississauga Mike

Oops, also for that Raconteurs show if you ordered through their website and not Ticketmaster the tickets would get mailed to you within a week of the show, assuming it's to cut down on scalpers.

February 6, 2009 @ 11:21 AM

Tee

Regulation will have no effect on the market price. All it may do is change the recipient of the consumer/producer surplus.

February 6, 2009 @ 6:46 PM

rick

yo bud....
what's the prices on tickets for the kiss/motley crue show in sept.

Rick.