Is This Racist?

NewspaperYesterday's New York Post had a cartoon by Sean Delonas depicting the author of the stimulus bill as a chimp.

There's an outcry today, from Rev. Al Sharpton and others. Here's Sharpton's statement.

The cartoon in today's New York Post is troubling at best given the historic racist attacks of African-Americans as being synonymous with monkeys. One has to question whether the cartoonist is making a less than casual reference to this when in the cartoon they have police saying after shooting a chimpanzee that "Now they will have to find someone else to write the stimulus bill".

Being that the stimulus bill has been the first legislative victory of President Barack Obama (the first African American president) and has become synonymous with him it is not a reach to wonder are they inferring that a monkey wrote the last bill?

I must admit, I'm uncomfortable with this imagery. I sense racial overtones, and the chimp joke after the woman was attacked in Stamford, Connecticut is truly unfunny. With President Barack Obama paying his first visit to Canada, I ask you this... Do you think this cartoon is racist?

post

brad

Anytime you compare a black man to a monkey, it's racist.

February 19, 2009 @ 4:52 PM

brad

And a couple of cops shooting the monkey? That's super rascist.

February 19, 2009 @ 4:54 PM

Argie

The cartoon is a shot at the stimulus plan - not on Obie. Therefore, it is not racist. The timing is insensitive considering the recent attack on the woman - there was nothing funny about that.

People love to throw the word 'r' word around. So much so, its starting to lose its meaning.

February 19, 2009 @ 4:59 PM

Toronto Mike

I'll buy the fact it's not meant to be rascist, but it's clearly insensitive. Not only because that poor woman had her face torn off but because Sharpton's right when he refers to the "historic racist attacks of African-Americans as being synonymous with monkeys".

But I like the response from Obama's camp. They don't read the New York Post.

February 19, 2009 @ 7:13 PM

Tee

Didn't Nancy Pelosi write/table the bill?

February 19, 2009 @ 7:20 PM

Toronto Mike

Hey Tee, perception is reality, right?

The average American will think Obama wrote the stimulus bill, even though it's likely the work of several people.

I think it's over 1000 pages...

February 19, 2009 @ 7:27 PM

Horonymous

To me it represents comparing the law makers to a bunch of monkeys.

But if folks want to be offended go ahead.

February 19, 2009 @ 7:54 PM

Toronto Mike

I guess I've been poisoned against The New York Post since I first heard Public Enemy's A Letter To The New York Post from Apocalypse '91.

Here are the lyrics:

o gee
Come and get your New York Post
New York Post right here
Come on y'all
Get the bost stubost stubost
Coasta coasta New York Post
Yo New York Post don't brag or boast
Dissin' flavor when he's butter that you put on your toast
Put my address in the paper cause I smacked that girl
She's the mother of my kid's that I took around the world
Disagreements having scuffles when you share upon
You shouldn't try to drain subjects in a duck pond
If you're gonna tell a story about people's worries
Watch what you tell 'em cause they don't bring you glory
It only brings agony, ask James Cagney
He beat up on a guy when he found he was a fagney
Cagney is a favorite he is my boy
He don't jive around he's a real McCoy
Chuck D yeah, you tellin' Flav we got to let 'em know
Here's a letter to the New York Post
The worst piece of paper on the east coast
Matter of fact the whole state's forty cents
in New York City fifty cents elsewhere
It makes no goddamn sense at all
America's oldest continuously published daily piece of bullshit
Flavor Flav is the one that makes The Post money
Writers making violence in headlines funny
Tryin' to undress my past until it's naked
Post got Flavor from sellin' no records
Europe Asia to the street of New York
Flavor Flav known for his finesse talk
Do it to ya for The Post to employ me
New York Post can't destroy me
Rapper of Public Enemy, rapstar beats lover
With the headline of a fucked up cover
Out the pot took plate New York Post
get your story straight motherfucker
It always seem they make our neighborhood look bad
Here's a letter to the New York Post
Ain't worth the paper it's printed on
Founded in 1801 by Alexander Hamilton
That is 190 years continuous of fucked up news
Yo one can play the game, two can play the game
Yo Flav read on can't forget you either Jet
Flavor Flav is your best Jet yet
My own people own the most business
Write on faith of value'sness
Should have checked with me before you wrote it
Got it from another source and quote it
Put it out like the new year bull drop
In every beauty parlor and barber shop
Flavor Flav world renown
Can't keep a man like Flavor down
Yo Jet be a good host
Don't print bull like the New York Post
Augh, looks like somebody slipped up here
Anyway here's a letter to the New York Post
Black newspaper and magazines are supposed to get the real deal
from the source y'all
Sorry, Jet you took the info straight out of The Post
Burned us just like toast
When it comes to getting you facts straight about P.E.
Get your shit correct

February 19, 2009 @ 7:59 PM

Leave wild animals in the wild

But if they're not comparing Obama to this crazed chimp - and BTW, why should anyone have such a creature in their possession - then I don't see that the cartoon makes any sense.

February 19, 2009 @ 8:09 PM

James Edgar

Racist.Like it or not Obama wil be seen as the author of the stimulus bill.

February 19, 2009 @ 8:22 PM

C

When I first saw this cartoon (before any mention of protest) I thought owch that is a tad harsh making fun of something that was so awful, the woman getting her face ripped up by the chimp.

(if anybody missed that do a search, very sad story).

The point of the cartoon is that the bill was a mess, like it was written by monkeys.

No way is it saying Obama is a monkey.

BTW I supported Obama and am no fan of Murdoch, NY Post, Rush, Malkin, or any of those clowns.

February 19, 2009 @ 8:52 PM

elvis

The cartoonist has said the monkey is not meant to be anyone in particular but if it was to be in the image of anyone, it would be Pelosi.

Seriously, is he retarded? I wonder if he wants salt on the foot that's in his mouth right now.

It's racist.

February 19, 2009 @ 9:10 PM

Buffalo Boy Mike

No question it is....

February 19, 2009 @ 9:50 PM

elvis

They've now since offered a half-assed apology:

Problem is, an apology isn't really an apology when you when say stupid shit like this:

"to those who were offended by the image, we apologize."

Can't you just say - we're sorry? The End.

February 20, 2009 @ 8:58 AM

Fan

Of all the years I listen to the Humble & Fred duel, not once did I hear cut throat humor, now thats "Greatness"

February 20, 2009 @ 10:58 AM

Roshan

As a brown man, I hate all racist idiots but tell me this....
Is it ok to call a white dude a monkey and not call a black man that? What if they are both acting like monkeys?

February 21, 2009 @ 12:52 PM