Harold Hosein Out at 680 News

RadioWhen Harold Hosein was fired from City-TV back in 2006, I wrote about it. Today, there's a new comment on that entry from a chap named Ian.

Harold Hosein is no longer with 680 news....I found out today...02/04/09

It seems 680 News didn't renew Harold Hosein's contract, meaning Toronto is without the meteorologist on the air for the first time in twenty years. 680 still has the bio he wrote online, so I'll paste it here for posterity.

I was born and educated to the high school level in the sunny tropical islands of Trinidad and Tobago, West Indies. My interest in meteorology and aviation began in high school, where excellent teachers motivated me.

A few of us started a radio station at school, which led to broadcasting careers for several of us in radio and television.

After migrating to Canada in 1967, I joined Environment Canada and trained in meteorology. I spent 21 years with Environment Canada, mostly at the Toronto weather office at Pearson International Airport, and worked extensively with commercial airline crews, commercial interests and the media from 1968 to 1989, when I left for a new career in television from 1989 to 2006.

During that time I did part-time radio work with CHML in Hamilton and CFRB in Toronto. I became staff meteorologist at CJCL from 1987 to 1991, then staff meteorologist at CFRB from 1993 to 1999. I moved to 680News in November 1999.

I have operated my own weather forecasting consultancy since 1987 and have served the Blue Jays, the Rogers Centre, the Canadian Open golf series, the Canadian Tennis Championships at York University, the city of Toronto snow operations, and many others, including foreign newspapers, another local television station and clients in the U.S. and England.

I am my greatest competition, trying to achieve 100 per cent at all times, knowing fully well that it is impossible.

I love motor racing, soccer, cricket, gardening, fishing, building and landscaping. I compose music and lyrics in the calypso style, and my calypso moniker is 'Hurricane Harold.'

The most difficult thing for me is doing nothing. I operate a charity called Recycle Your Bicycle, sending unwanted bicycles and other useful items from Canada to Cuba. You may learn more about it by visiting www.recycleyourbicycle.com and www.haroldhosein.com.

It's a rough time for many an industry, including the media. Who's next?

elvis

You have to wonder if there is something up with him - first Citytv and now 680News - can a guy get dropped from 2 different gigs for no good reason?

February 4, 2009 @ 3:23 PM

Toronto Mike

How could anyone have an issue with Hurricane Harold?

February 4, 2009 @ 3:27 PM

torontosportsmedia.com

is JO JO Chinto still around he was my favorite citytv personality

February 4, 2009 @ 4:17 PM

dale

With MR. Duvall retiring from CFTO in April - Is Harold already pencilled in to take over?
Just a thought.

February 4, 2009 @ 4:17 PM

Jason | GetYourOJ.com

i dug him on CITY back in the day

i don't listen to AM but this is sad news.

i think he will be scooped up though

February 4, 2009 @ 6:15 PM

Jason | GetYourOJ.com

just noticed your blog header for today that's Classic man. LOL.

February 4, 2009 @ 6:31 PM

Fredericton Steve

hahah I havent seen that commercial in a long time

February 4, 2009 @ 6:35 PM

Horonymous

What a shame. Loved listening to Harold's forecasts.

February 4, 2009 @ 7:06 PM

Horonymous

What a shame. Loved listening to Harold's forecasts.

February 4, 2009 @ 7:06 PM

Horonymous

What a shame. Loved listening to Harold's forecasts when I caught them. Don't like listening to 680 News, they read the front page of the Star all day.

February 4, 2009 @ 7:07 PM

Stephanie Wilkinson

Harold was the reason I watched City in the 90s...

And as for Partick.... That header is GENIUS.

February 4, 2009 @ 10:14 PM

Megan

With the ones on City now, it makes me miss Harold!

February 5, 2009 @ 12:09 PM

bill

I don't think it's anything wrong with Harold that got him turfed from city and 680.

City was looking for young idiotic blood.

City was bought by Rogers and to me, it was a case of City taking the reins of Rogers' media division hence all the tie-ins with 680.... Gord Martineau and Mark Daily doing frequent voice spots for news as well as city tv weather people doing 680 weather.

I think it was more of an embarrassment for City to have gotten rid of someone only to find out that person is still around due to a merger.

February 6, 2009 @ 12:28 AM

Mike

1010AM got rid of Richard Syrett too. As some of you may know, Richard had an amazing Radio show about conspiracy stuff 5 nights a week.

No GOOD reasons were given for dropping him. Their loss.
His fans will bring him back somewhere.

I won't be listening to any of 1010's stuff if Richard's not on anymore.

www.Richardsyrett.com for more info.

February 7, 2009 @ 3:30 PM

Caroline

So what's happening with the weather reporters on 680news? Brian Hill is still on in the mornings - most of them at least. Otherwise it's CityTV meteorologists. Why keep Brian when you axe Harold?? Not that I want them to get rid of Brian!!

February 17, 2009 @ 9:18 PM

HP Newman

Yes, 680 is no longer the station it once was, just a few short months ago. Like almost everything else, change. Yes, Harold was our special communications person for weather details. He will be greatly missed. Sorry to hear the latest news. Hopefully, he surfaces on another network, be it radio or TV. Let's hope.
Found him to be always a first class gentleman.

February 28, 2009 @ 6:58 PM

Tim G

I liked JoJo as well. Hard to understand, but that was the good part of it for me. Harold was ok, but anyone can read the weather. Life marches on, sometimes trampling.

March 12, 2009 @ 4:24 AM

Leslie from Newmarket

Harold is on 680 news today. I AM thrilled. I hope he is back to stay.

March 15, 2009 @ 3:13 PM

Bill

Just heard him on 680 on this past Sunday. Sounded like he was doing the weather report from a telephone connection.

March 24, 2009 @ 10:02 AM

Anonymous

Based on what I have been hearing on the radio over the past week or so, Jill Taylor seems to be doing the weather on weekdays and Harold Hosein on weekends. Could this be permanent?

March 24, 2009 @ 9:35 PM

Shab 72

Not surprise! Harold was dropped from 680 News because the same owners that own CityTv are the same owners that own 680 news. They most likely want to move in a new direction that didn't include Harold. I'm sad to see him go...

April 6, 2009 @ 2:33 PM

brad

Its good to hear harold again on the weekend, but I really do enjoy hearing the Sangita patel from citytv on the weekends and yesterday on my drive home. There is just something about her voice and delivering the weather!

April 15, 2009 @ 9:59 AM

Move On..

I think Harold Hosein should update his web site and Linkedin instead of mass emailing everyone in the country looking for a job.

He's 80 years old.Times change, jobs change and he should - if he is the "humanitarian" he's claiming to be..
MOVE ON and leave the jobs to people who still are raising families.

After SUEING everyone who fired him..who wants to hire him now??

SICK of HHosein whining!!
He is OLD news..

May 1, 2009 @ 5:28 AM

Nathon

Folks get dropped from stations after years because over time they become more expensive. Nothing cheaper than finding a new person and paying $30k a year.

You don't have to do much to not have a contract renewed except cost more because you're a name and have a family to feed.

May 29, 2009 @ 7:05 PM

Anonymous

looks like Harold is on 680 when they can't get anyone else.... he was on 680 Christmas morning (dec 25)

December 27, 2009 @ 12:39 PM

Anonymous

December 27, 2009 @ 12:39 PM

Shaver Gillette

He was a token minority hire just like most of the crew on CITY TV. Why are we now suprised that he was fired due to incompetence? This always happens. If they had hired the best qualified man in the first place there wouldn't be an issue now.

February 25, 2010 @ 8:58 PM

Anonymous

Looks like Harold is fill in for weekends... heard him on 680 earlier today, I guess filling for Jill Taylor

August 28, 2010 @ 10:35 PM

Jonny Watts

where is Brian hill i haven't heard him on 680 news for awhile

November 6, 2010 @ 11:58 PM

Susan

It appears as though Harold might be back on weekends at 680News again. He has been doing the weather for the last few weekends.

January 30, 2011 @ 9:49 AM

Michael Muoio

We have been living in the USA for the past22 Yearts and we miss Harold hussein everyday. He was the best weatherman ever. Never wrong....so smart. I cannot believe these networks let him go. They are insane.

June 5, 2015 @ 12:16 AM

Samuel Staud

I have nothing against Howard Hosein. I think he is an achiever and did well for himself and did well in public service. I do not know how old he is but I think it is time to hang his skates and retire and allow a young generation do the weather report. Mwbe it is not his fault keep in working, it is the media corporations, radio and television not having the vision of giving new graduate a opportunity. when we will give young people a chance to earn a living???

September 23, 2018 @ 10:15 AM