The Advantage of Having a Son

familyLet me preface this by saying how much I love my daughter. She's the best. I'm so blessed.

With that out the way, I'm glad I had a boy first. My son recently turned seven and gifts he now receives are actually gifts for me. I'm directly benefiting from having another big boy in the house.

His friends chipped in to get him Mario Kart for our Wii, complete with an extra steering wheel for the wiimote. James and I have battled it out several times and I'm having a blast.

Then, when I thought my life couldn't get any better, my brother Ryan surprised him with NHL 2K9. James is happy and I'm ecstatic. Ryan might as well have bought NHL 2K9 for me.

Back in the 16-bit Super Nintendo days, my favourite games were the NHL games from EA Sports. I can't wait to dive into NHL 2K9 for the Wii. Thanks, Ry!

In related news, blogging frequency is expected to plummet.

James Edgar

You are a lucky guy I never even thought of that angle!

January 29, 2009 @ 1:58 PM

Alison

I have to say that MarioKart for Wii rocks! Even my 7 year old daughter and I are known to get into some heated races!

The group b-day gift also rocks, recently all the buddies got together and got their friend the Star Wars Wii game and the light sabres that the wiimote hooks into...the Dad looked just as happy as the son!

January 29, 2009 @ 2:53 PM

Ajax Mike

So when's Rock Band / Guitar Hero coming down the pipe?

January 29, 2009 @ 3:39 PM

Horonymous

My 10 year old daughter has Wii Mario Kart and apparently girls can also play hockey.
As of Video Game Act of 1994 passed in the Hague girls are allowed to own video game consoles and games

My wife loves MK and she never likes video gmaes.
Daughter 14 plays the occasional game but prefers chatin' on MSN.

Me I enjoy FPS games not much into the sports on systems.

I think your title should read "advantages of have a kid in the house". :)

Kids are great. Not the ones with bad manners in public that belong to other people .

January 29, 2009 @ 4:32 PM

Toronto Mike

Ok, ok... guilty as charged.

I just assumed NHL2K9 was more of a dude thing. Times they are a-changing.

January 29, 2009 @ 4:35 PM

Argie

Everyone's got to have the latest thing - be it a gadget, game, phone, trend (see MSM, 'lol'). Its no wonder so many kids are messed up. Happiness for these kids comes from a box from Best Buy or Future Shop via a factory in China.

Good job parents, better luck next time.

January 29, 2009 @ 4:49 PM

Toronto Mike

The world needs more Argies...

January 29, 2009 @ 5:00 PM

Mike from Lowville

Someone pisses in his Corn Flakes everyday me thinks.

January 29, 2009 @ 6:16 PM

Buffalo Boy Mike

ARgie, do you have any fun now since Obama got elected or do you just sit in a corner eating spiders?

January 29, 2009 @ 6:20 PM

Buffalo Sketchball

I had all sorts of stuff when I grew up. When we got our first PC w/Internet after having Macs, my dad took us and got NHL 98, and I am a girl sketchball :P

The kids aren't messed up because of the stuff, but look at how Mike and his son get to spend time together. The interaction is what matters, speaking as a teacher and seeing it on a wide scale. The kid can have all kinds of stuff, or nothing, but if their parent spends time with them doing what they like (and not as their "friend"), it is what they need.

January 29, 2009 @ 6:47 PM

LEW

Right on Argie - the good old days like the 40's when people didn't waste time with this crap - isn't that when we invented the nuclear bomb - had two WORLD wars etc. Ah the good old days - when the father could beat the hell out of his wife and kids and the state stayed away and the church made them appologize for making dad mad.....
For you Argie - I'm inventing the WiiNii, it's a virtual game so you can go.....yourself.
PS Mike - I love having my daughter older than my son - we'll have to debate one day.

January 29, 2009 @ 6:53 PM

Nova Scotia Matt

The world needs more Mikes (sincerely). How many parents actually sit down and play video games with their children? Certainly I'm sure you get some personal enjoyment out of the game itself, but in twenty years I bet you dollars to doughnuts your sons not going to remember you enjoying the game, he's going to remember his dad spending time with him. There's a huge difference between parents who sit their kids in front of Grand Theft Auto and leaf (freudian slip? I meant to write leave!) for a bit, and parents who play a game like Mario Racing and NHL 2K9. Good on you, Mike!

January 29, 2009 @ 6:58 PM

Toronto Mike

Before you nominate me for sainthood, you should know that I never let James win. When he finally beats me in Mario Kart, he'll have earned it.

January 29, 2009 @ 7:13 PM

Horonymous

Argie is probably bummed he never had a Johnny Seven.

I play games with the kids all the time and also watch what shows interest them on the tube.
Sometimes at parties I throw out Simspsons , Sponge Bob or Phineas and Ferb trivia. Kids love it parents don't get it.

January 29, 2009 @ 7:46 PM

Argie

Wow... a lot of angry fathers here. I hope you dont take it out on your kids tonight.

If you feel you can only connect with your child through a video game then I really feel sorry for your child. How about connecting with your child through, I dont know just spit-balling here, but by having family dinners together every night? How about attending church (that's right folks) each and every Sunday? How about playing catch or any sporting activity that doesn't involve an HDMI cable?

Point is, by there's plenty of ways of connecting with your child without getting him/her hooked on a video game that will become stale within months.

Use your imaginations - your child will benefit and grow up to be a well adjusted, all round kid as opposed to one suffering from ADD and always craving the latest thing.

Just helping you all out folks....

PS Lew: Have another doob...

January 29, 2009 @ 9:31 PM

Nova Scotia Matt

hey arg, you can play video games with A/V jacks too. :p

January 29, 2009 @ 9:59 PM

Mike from Lowville

Argie, I played Mario Cart with both my kids back in the day when it first came out for 64. Played EA Sports NHL 94 on the 'puter. Still play hockey with the two of them. (real and video) I snowboard with them, I race, I golf. (real and video) Play football, work on their cars with them. Have a few beers with them and we have dinner together every Sunday. We don't go to church so, I guess in your eyes, I'm a bad father.

January 29, 2009 @ 10:53 PM

Argie

No Mike, from what you've told us you sound like a very good father. Politicly, your views are whack - but overall you sound like a good guy (especially since you're a golfer).

January 30, 2009 @ 9:11 AM