Shine a Light

A Movie ReelShine a Light: 6 out of 10.

I should preface this review by admitting I grew tired of the Rolling Stones long ago. As a younger man, I adored Hot Rocks, essentially their greatest hits from 1964-1971. In the late 80s, I was still a fan, and actually bought Steel Wheels and left my post managing a game at the CNE to listen to their concert from outside the old Exhibition Stadium gates.

Then, around the time they sold "Start Me Up" to Microsoft, I had had enough. I was done with the Rolling Stones. Sure, I still dig "Paint It Black" and "Gimme Shelter", but I had no interest in seeing them in concert or delving into their catalogue. Keith is still cool, but the whole band just seems so corporate. The best Stones song from the past 25 years belongs to The Verve.

I love Scorsese, and my wife is still a big Stones fan, so last night we watched Shine a Light. I wanted more archival footage but instead it's 95% comprised of a recent Stones concert with a few special guests, including Jack White. It was kind of boring.

Stones fanatics will probably love it.

shine_a_light

James Edgar

They have one Album worth buying. Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out! Live 1969/70 Mick Taylor and Keith on Guitar. Maybe not the definitive live stones but close. Many the best songs as well. I can't find the CD for sale a a resonable price or I would buy it.

January 30, 2009 @ 10:37 AM

elvis

One of the most influential and best bands ever.

January 30, 2009 @ 10:44 AM

dlauthor

One album? One?

Exile on Main Street? Beggars Banquet? Let it Bleed? Some Girls? Sticky Fingers?

"One album." Sheesh.

January 30, 2009 @ 1:04 PM

James Edgar

I'm biased for Live stuff. Those are good albums I have to concede though except some girls I hated it then i hate it now. DISCO SUCKS!. I just like EVERBODIES live albums best. And I should say that it's the only album i would buy now. I have Exile on Main Street, Beggars Banquet, Let it Bleed, Sticky Fingers,Hot Rocks, it's only Rock and Roll and the first every Us Relaese on Vinyl some where in the basement. I never did buy Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out! which is why i would buty it now.

January 30, 2009 @ 1:20 PM

dlauthor

Disco? Only thing vaguely disco-y on Some Girls is Miss You, and it's not really all that disco. Rest of it's rock, with a little soul and a little country. You might be confusing it with Black & Blue.

January 30, 2009 @ 4:49 PM

James Edgar

ha ha That song must have been played so often it's all it's the only song I can think of. Not quite the fan you are i see!

January 30, 2009 @ 7:23 PM