Separated Shoulder Anxiety (or Bitchfest 2009)

thumbsdownWhat's the point of having a blog if you can't bitch about stuff? Last night I separated my left shoulder playing hockey, and 24 hours later the whole thing is seriously bumming me out.

First and foremost, the pain is constant and intense. I haven't been using the sling as much as I should, and instead I grip my shirt with my left hand in order to assume the one position that doesn't hurt. It's been less than a full day and I'm an impatient sonufabitch wondering when the hell there will be some degree of improvement.

Then there's the inconvenience. James had his 7th birthday party today and I couldn't even drive the party wagon. In addition to being hopped up on goofballs, my left arm is pretty useless, making driving pretty dangerous. I just got home and saw some snow had fallen, and then I realized I can't shovel. I did manage to push the snow with my right arm and use my foot to kick the snow onto the lawn, but it's pretty inefficient. My daughter helped me put on my socks today, my wife tied my boots and helped pull off my sweater and tasks once taken for granted now take a surprisingly amount of time to complete. Losing an arm is awfully inconvenient.

Then there's the reality that's starting to sink in. I've paid to play in the Skydome slo-pitch tournament in a couple of weeks, and I've really been looking forward to it, but there's no chance I'll be able to do anything more than cheer. I've thoroughly enjoyed my first season of hockey in 21 years, and I've improved every week, but from all accounts I'll be out of action for a couple of months. There isn't much more than a couple of months left in the season. I'm going to force myself on the ice Saturday mornings because it means a lot to my son and I don't have to do more than skate, but everything from rock climbing to tobogganing is out until March. Walking is just about the only game left in town.

And finally, there's the drugs. I usually refuse painkillers, but in this instance I didn't really have a choice. I'm downing a couple of percocets every 5 hours or so and I seem to have an amphetamine or methamphetamine-type reaction to this drug. Everything speeds up. I'm told I'm pretty funny when riding the percocet high, and it definitely helps with the pain, but I'm already trying to find out where Rush Limbaugh scores his goods so I can get a similar hook-up.

I'm told things will be better in two months. Only 5259487.66 seconds to go...

dale

I've been suffering especially in cold & hot weather for last 35 years with a separted shoulder due to baseball. There is no pain but just lack of movement.

GOOD LUCK - watch your intake of Perc's.

January 17, 2009 @ 9:47 PM

Kathleen

I'm sorry to hear about your shoulder, I hope you will make a speedy recovery. Take care

January 18, 2009 @ 1:57 AM

James Edgar

Sorry to hear about this Mike. Just take it easy and it willl heal faster.

January 18, 2009 @ 9:17 AM

Mike from Lowville

My thoughts have been with you since my last entry. I was going to say that first post was pretty optimistic but, I see reality has set in. I hope you have a speedy recovery. Don't, try to use it! That was my biggest problem. I could not afford to take the time off and had to work. Sometimes when doing front end work, you have to swing a hammer. I had lots of fun swinging with my left hand. Smacking things not meant to be smacked. Sorry to say though, this next month will be the longest of your life.

January 18, 2009 @ 10:45 AM

woodpeck

sorry 2 hear about the injury. hope u have a speedy recovery! does this mean most posts? (if that could even be possible)
whenever i've been on the DL, i've taken the opportunity to put my energies into places of neglect. one good example came from a serious bicycle accident that basically kept me from doing any physical activities for a month. i took that time to change my diet and to start eating a lot healthier and i've never looked back. just some "food" for thought in these dark times buddy! tc!

January 18, 2009 @ 5:54 PM

woodpeck

most = more. silly woody

January 18, 2009 @ 5:56 PM

betts

i feel your pain!!! i separated and dislocated my left shoulder snowboarding. i'm on week 6 now and was told the earliest i will get back to work is June! good luck with the recovery, and do physio everyday! even long after you back to normal

February 10, 2009 @ 10:59 PM

Toronto Mike

I'm in week four, and I still can't sleep on it or lift anything heavier than about 10 lbs.

But, I am playing hockey again and I'm going to try volleyball tomorrow.

1st week is hell.
2nd week is painful.
3rd week is much more manageable.
4th week is like a bruise.

February 11, 2009 @ 9:09 AM

Nathan Rothwell

2nd degreee separation...
1st week is painful, sling it the whole week, can't do sh*t, sleeping sucks, getting dressed sucks.

2nd week is less painful but still no mobility, can be out of sling when sitting, getting dressed and sleeping still sucks.

3rd week is much more manageable. out of sling, can run, gets really stiff though, sleeping still hurts.

4th week is like a bruise, weak as hell, can't lift a 10 lb weight but physio helps a lot.

5th week it doesnt hurt except after runs, range of motion almost all there, weak still, still no hockey or golf.

6th week, strength is better, full range of motion, physio really helps. Going to play hockey this week and golf next. Throwing over hand will come last. Tried doing a push up and that was a bad idea.

June 14, 2010 @ 10:24 PM