My First Album: Vinyl and Cassette

CassetteThe first vinyl album I ever bought was Duran Duran's Rio. That same year, I bought my first cassette tape. I had golden oldies cassette tapes that were bought for me at gas stations, but the first cassette album I ever purchased was the Stray Cats' Built for Speed.

Do you remember your first?

duran-duran-rio

dale

1st vinyl album was A Hard Days Night & cassette - who knows as they only lasted a few years but bought many for my kids while driving. Why not talk about 8 Tracks!!! I had many of them also. Grand Funk Railroad Live was the 1st purchased.

January 10, 2009 @ 7:14 PM

Buffalo Boy Mike

I never bought myself vinyl I was thoroughly entrenched in the cassette era and even when I did listen to records it was my dads 45s. I Do remember listening to The Beach Boys I Get Around/Why Do Fools Fall in Love on 45 with these big oversized headphones on.
My first cassette was believe it or not, Duran Duran Rio as well, my second was Tears For Fears, Songs from the Big Chair. I still have both of them in very good condition too.

January 10, 2009 @ 7:19 PM

felix

My first cassette purchase was a twofer: Glass Tiger - The Thin Red Line & Genesis - Invisible Touch.

January 10, 2009 @ 8:11 PM

Ajax Mike

I bought Seven & The Ragged Tiger on Cassette, but for vinyl I mostly listened to my parent's Beatles and Queen records. The first and last vinyl I ever purchased for myself was (brace yourself) The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles soundtrack. :)

January 10, 2009 @ 9:28 PM

Jason | GetYourOJ.com

The first album I bought on cassette was INXS Kick

January 10, 2009 @ 9:33 PM

Jill

I had just returned to Canada from living abroad for 3 years and was entering highschool. I was so facinated with everything pop culture and was buying many albums upon my return to North America.....but I will always remember buying,"Glass Houses" by Billy Joel and listening to it endlessly. My husbands first album that he purchased was "Working Class Dog" by Rick Springfield.

January 10, 2009 @ 11:31 PM

elvis

Bon Jovi - Slippery When Wet

January 11, 2009 @ 6:25 AM

Stephanie Wilkinson

I remember agonizing over whether to get the Footloose soundtrack (on vinyl) or Born in the USA.

Now.... given the fact I stood in the store actually agonizing over it... which do you think I got?

Shamefull, isn't it?

So then my friend bought me Born in the USA on cassette for Christmas.

CD's.. I bought a CD player at Christmas 1987. I was working at Eaton's, they were new, I'm a gadget girl and I knew my dad would love it. So along with Rita McNeil, I got Moonlighting soundtrack, Dirty Dancing soundtrack and the Very Special Christmas (the first red one) that had just come out.

I have since replaced Footloose and Born in the USA to CD and have all those CD's (minus Rita...) on my iPod for a close-by listen whenever the mood strikes.

Yes. it is pathetic.

January 11, 2009 @ 7:29 AM

james edgar

First Vinyl Album purchase was Cosmos Factory CCR 1st 45 purchase was Led Zep Immigrant Song.

That one freaked out the parents.

I had already inherited 40 or so 45's from my older sisters mostly Beatles and Beach boys as well as the Stones first Album .

Cassette? I don't think I ever bought one. I had (have) a high end cassete deck and made my own.

January 11, 2009 @ 8:59 AM

Toronto Mike

I would argue that both Born in the USA and the Footloose soundtrack are essential components of a good collection. :-)

I know I have both!

January 11, 2009 @ 9:24 AM

Mike from Lowville

The first Album I bought after I saved my allowance for almost 2 months was the first pressing of A Hard Days Night. Took me almost a years allowance to get those Beatle boots my Mother wouldn't buy me and about a 5 year wait to let my hair grow like Johns. Trouble with that, all of them had really really long hair by then, lol. Never really got into Cassettes. Had 8 Tracks. The only Cassettes I bought and still own are, Crackers, In Concert with Crackers (guys I grew up with)and Tragically Hip's first EP/Cassette with "Small town bringdown and Last American exit".

January 11, 2009 @ 11:11 AM

CQ

Billy Joel's 52nd Street - pre Bosom Buddies, via tape.

January 11, 2009 @ 11:16 AM

LEW

Jethro Tull - War Child
I also had a K-Tel record organizer.

January 11, 2009 @ 11:51 AM

Jill

I remember having a 8 track device for the car(1972 Vista Cruiser Station Wagon) that actually held cassettes but I only remember playing my homemade mix tapes on them.

January 11, 2009 @ 1:04 PM

james edgar

Cassettes!, I just remembered i bought the BNL cassette with the origiginal version of Million Dollars. back when they were a CFNY kind of band.

January 11, 2009 @ 1:06 PM

Fredericton Steve

First tape I ever purchased was Tom Cochrane's Mad Mad World.

January 11, 2009 @ 4:24 PM

Ottawa (Charlottetown) Mike

My first two tapes were David Lee Roth's Crazy from the Heat and Bon Jovi's Slippery When Wet. I can never remember which was first.

January 11, 2009 @ 6:52 PM

Horonymous

My parent gave me Hey Jude for Christmas 1970 when I was 7.

Cassette tapes were still a few years away from being popular.

January 11, 2009 @ 6:54 PM

Roshan

My first cassette tape was probably Wacko Jacko's Thriller in 1983. I was 7.

January 11, 2009 @ 9:10 PM

LEW

I can't remember my first bought cassette, but what was great was finally the ability to record. My most prized, but long gone "bootleg" cassettes were Juluka from my cousin in South Africa and a Greatful Dead concert.

January 12, 2009 @ 11:46 AM

Sammi

BTO - Not Fragile

January 12, 2009 @ 2:09 PM

Mike from Lowville

"Cassettes!, I just remembered i bought the BNL cassette with the original version of Million Dollars. back when they were a CFNY kind of band."

Shight, I forgot about that one. Got to go hunting.....

January 12, 2009 @ 8:05 PM