Cancon for Barack Obama's iPod

iPodCBC has unveiled their 49 Canadian Songs for Obama's iPod. These 49 won out over their top 100.

I can't really speak to the French songs or the non-pop songs, but they seem to have hit most of the essential tracks from my definitive Cancon list.

Still, how does The Band's "The Weight" not make this list? Was no Sloan song worthy? Where's the Blue Rodeo? In typical CBC fashion, it seems inclusion was deemed the higher priority.

• Arcade Fire, "Rebellion (Lies)"
  • Barenaked Ladies, "If I Had $1,000,000"
  • Beau Dommage, "La complainte du phoque en Alaska"
  • Ben Heppner, "We'll Gather Lilacs"
  • Bruce Cockburn, "Wondering Where the Lions Are"
  • Buffy Sainte-Marie, "Universal Soldier"
  • Daniel Bélanger, "Rêver mieux"
  • Daniel Lanois, "Jolie Louise"
  • Daniel Lavoie, "J'ai quitté mon île"
  • Diana Krall, "Departure Bay"
  • Gilles Vigneault, "Mon pays"
  • Glenn Gould, "Goldberg Variations"
  • Gordon Lightfoot, "Canadian Railroad Trilogy"
  • Gordon Lightfoot, "Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"
  • Great Big Sea, "Ordinary Day"
  • Harmonium, "Pour un Instant"
  • Ian & Sylvia, "Four Strong Winds"
  • James Ehnes, "Barber Violin Concerto"
  • Jesse Cook, "Mario Takes a Walk"
  • Joni Mitchell, "Both Sides Now"
  • Joni Mitchell, "A Case of You"
  • Karkwa, "Oublie pas"
  • k.d. lang, "Hallelujah"
  • Leonard Cohen, "Democracy"
  • Leonard Cohen, "Suzanne"
  • Malajube, "Montréal -40°C"
  • Marie-Jo Thério, "Évangeline"
  • Marjan Mozetich, "Affairs of the Heart"
  • Measha Brueggergosman, "I'm Going Up a Yonder"
  • Mes Aïeux, "Dégénérations"
  • Michael Bublé, "Home"
  • Moe Koffman, "Swingin' Shepherd Blues"
  • Neil Young, "Rockin' in the Free World"
  • Neil Young, "Helpless"
  • Oscar Peterson Trio, "Hymn to Freedom"
  • Oscar Peterson, "Place St. Henri (from Canadiana Suite)"
  • Parachute Club, "Rise Up"
  • Raymond Lévesque, "Quand les hommes vivront d'amour"
  • Rush, "Closer to the Heart"
  • Sam Roberts, "The Canadian Dream"
  • Shad, "Brother (Watching)"
  • Stan Rogers, "Northwest Passage"
  • Stompin' Tom Connors, "The Hockey Song"
  • The Arrogant Worms, "Canada's Really Big"
  • The Guess Who, "American Woman"
  • The Rankin Family, "Rise Again"
  • The Tragically Hip, "Wheat Kings"
  • The Tragically Hip, "Bobcaygeon"
  • The Weakerthans, "One Great City!"

Argie

Lord have mercy....

January 20, 2009 @ 1:31 PM

Daniel

Do we actually care what the president of the United States has on his iPod? I certainly don't. I'm actually a bit embarrassed that the CBC would do something like this. Oddly enough, it comes across as egotistical and pathetic at the same time - "Please play our regulatory body-mandated playlist, it's 'Canadian'!"

This thing reeks of lame affirmative action-esque red tape, but that's a whole other topic.

January 20, 2009 @ 2:07 PM

Toronto Mike

But that might be the more interesting topic. Let it fly!

I took this contest as yet another excuse to compile these best Canadian song lists I happen to enjoy.

This time, it seems they took a long look at what the song was about in an effort to somehow educate Obama about Canadian music. I'm a lifelong fan of Canadian music, and there are several songs on this list of 49 I've never heard.

In reality, we don't care what Obama has on his iPod, nor do we really think he'll ever listen to these 49 songs, but it made for good radio, and that was the point.

January 20, 2009 @ 2:11 PM

Argie

Daniel,

You must have forgot, Mike goes hand in hand with affirmative action. He loves Toronto, David Miller, the NDP and of course Obama.

January 20, 2009 @ 2:22 PM

Daniel

The fact that this made for good radio is the thing I have a problem with ;).

Argie, I also love Toronto, but I wouldn't say I "love" any politician. I think they're all full of shit. That being said, I'm much more inclined to agree with the spirit of the NDP or Obama (though I care even less about American politics). The fact that the other end of the spectrum (which I believe you're on) is so full of ignorant, bigoted and shortsighted loudmouths doesn't make it much of an alternative. I realize I'm making a glaring generalization here but my personal experiences have yet to show me otherwise.

Mike, I'm with you on the "I've never heard of many of these songs things". I've lived in various parts of Ontario and Canada my entire life, I enjoy a lot of Canadian music but some of this is completely... foreign to me. It seems like it's more about politicking and impressions rather than just good music, and that to me defeats the entire purpose ;).

January 20, 2009 @ 3:35 PM

CQ

So I visited the CBC radio 49 playlist's blog page. Only found this istead of comments:
Difficulty rendering data:SyntaxError: invalid quantifier {

Yet another big local media produced blog page?

January 20, 2009 @ 3:38 PM