Andy Barrie's Privacy Protected

CBCReaders of this blog know I'm an Andy Barrie fan. On November 6, 2008, I was listening when he signed off and told us he was going to be taking a leave of absence to care for a member of his family who was ill. I wrote about that and now rank #2 when you google his name.

Many are Googling his name, because CBC won't say boo about where Andy Barrie is and why he's not on the radio. If you happened to miss his sign off on November 6, you'd be left in the dark. CBC RadioOne's Metro Morning has gone on without Barrie and not once have the hosts mentioned what's going on.

The bulk of the 33 comments on that entry are Andy Barrie fans who miss his voice and want an update.. word that Andy is okay and will return. It's possible Andy will read this entry, so if you're out there, please let us know how you're doing. Either contact me or leave a comment.

CBC has done a great job protecting your privacy, but Toronto's most popular morning show host disappearing for three months without a peep isn't fair to the fans who made you #1.

Andy Barrie, are you okay?

Stephanie Wilkinson

Didn't a little comment about 18 months ago asking if a 'certain someone' was okay result in your highest response ever?? Here's hoping you find out!

January 27, 2009 @ 7:08 PM

elvis

Shouldn't the Brampton bloggers be all over this?

January 27, 2009 @ 7:21 PM

Jason | GetYourOJ.com

What's the source that cited he was 'most popular' host in Toronto?

January 27, 2009 @ 7:36 PM

Horonymous

Odd when Mr Barrie was on CFRB he would regularly chastise the CBC as a waste of money. Funny how one's tune changes with a pay cheque.

Mr Barrie is a good as his research staff behind him.

Metro Morning is a great show period.

AM 640 line up of Oakley then Stafford is pretty solid although a little to much braunnosing toward the Conservatives.

January 27, 2009 @ 7:59 PM

Toronto Mike

I like Stafford too, but he's got the unfair disadvantage of having to run commercials to pay the bills.

January 27, 2009 @ 8:03 PM

Andy

I'm really touched that so many people are concerned. Let me reassure anyone who's worried about my welfare that I'm alright and that there's no wish on either the CBC's or my part to be mysterious. It's just as I said when I went on leave- I'm needed by my family. I might be a public person, but they're not. The CBC's been wonderfully supportive throughout all this. I miss my work, but not as much as I'd be missed at home if I weren't able to be here.
All the best to all...
Andy

January 27, 2009 @ 8:04 PM

Toronto Mike

Andy, it's great to hear from you. I know lots of Googlers who will be glad to hear you're okay.

Jason, check out this Toronto Star article from November 2008.

For the first time in radio ratings history, CBC Radio One (99.1 FM) ranks as the top station in the Toronto radio market, according to the all-important fall 2008 audience survey, published yesterday by BBM (Bureau of Broadcast Measurement) Canada.

Radio One increased its share of total hours tuned by Toronto area listeners over the age of 12 by a full 1 percentage point, to 9.4 per cent, and enlarged its reach (the number of local listeners who tuned in for at least 15 minutes each week) by 53,700, to 696,100 over the same period in 2007.

The network's local morning show, Metro Morning with Andy Barrie, continues to hold top place in its time slot with a 12.9 per cent share of hours tuned.

January 27, 2009 @ 8:25 PM

Mike from Lowville

Andy, glad to know your ok, do what you got to do, family first.

January 27, 2009 @ 10:37 PM

Mike from Lowville

"but he's got the unfair disadvantage of having to run commercials to pay the bills."

That's the difference between the public and the private sector. You have a choice who you want to work for. Nice or cutthroat.

January 27, 2009 @ 10:41 PM

elvis

I'd say it's more of an unfair advantage that they get to use MY money to run a station that I would choose not to run.

January 28, 2009 @ 6:47 AM

Argie

CBC radio wouldn't suck so much if it were less lefty/socialist.

January 28, 2009 @ 10:33 AM

Stafford

"Unfair disadvantage of playing commercials to pay the bills"???

Heck, I'm heating my tiny condo by burning $100 bills! Real ones, too. Not the Pacific Mall knockoffs with Jet Li instead of Robert Borden on the front! 'Scuze me while I finish the bacon and eggs I'm consuming from a hooker's chest......

Seriously, get better Andy. You're missed in this market.

January 28, 2009 @ 4:24 PM

SHH

Andy -

If you're reading, you are very much missed, but time with your family is time you can't buy back once it's gone, so we understand. Take care and best wishes.

February 4, 2009 @ 3:45 PM

Dr Jack Richman

I am a fan of Andy and when I explored this treatment for Parkinsons, for one of my patients, I had him in mind. There is now a new although still investgative treatment for Perkinsons that has been successful in Isreal and I believ soon to be tried in the US. I looked at the research and it is solid. It is by a company called InSightec. It is perhaps something that Andy may explore If you can contact him the web site is www.insightec.com and he can look at You Tube sight. He can volunteer to be part of the investigative process. So far those that have volunteered had a permanent 75% improvement.

July 26, 2013 @ 12:26 PM