Winnipeg Jets Mulligan

NHLI sometimes wonder what the poor Winnipeg Jets might have done had they not shared a division with the mighty Edmonton Oilers of the 1980s. The Jets were always an exciting team, and very likable. In 1996, Jets fans were dealt the worst blow imaginable when they saw their team pack up and head south for Phoenix.

Every day it seems there's another article about how bad things are in Phoenix for the Coyotes. Here's one such article from David Shoalts in the Globe and Mail.

"I don't know how they can sustain the losses," one former governor said."The team loses so much money you can't sell it. If I were offered the team for a dollar, I'd say no because you can't fix it."

Let's face it, hockey doesn't work in Phoenix. It's also not working in Florida, Nashville or Atlanta. It worked in Winnipeg, however, where we're born and bred to worship the sport. The fact Phoenix has Winnipeg's franchise is sinful, and this wrong needs to be righted.

Let's call a mulligan and move the Coyotes back to Winnipeg where they belong. Bring back the Jets.

Winnipeg Jets

dale

Bobby Hull was probably best player to ever wear the Jets jersey & 2nd best was Thomas Steen - Alex's Dad who was great also.

December 12, 2008 @ 9:22 PM

Buffalo Boy Mike

Second Best was Dale Hawerchuk, Dale may have been the best period

December 13, 2008 @ 8:17 AM

LEW

I vote contraction until we can get hockey people to run the league, so great hockey towns like Winnipeg never lose a franchise to a place like Phoenix again. What these business executives have done to hockey is criminal.
I think Teemu Selanne was the best Jet.

December 13, 2008 @ 9:41 AM

Mike from Lowville

I say bring back the Jets and the World Hockey Association. ef Bettman and all his minions.

December 13, 2008 @ 10:03 AM

Toronto Mike

Hawerchuk is the best Jet I ever saw - but I missed Hull's golden years.

December 13, 2008 @ 2:23 PM

felix

I always liked the Jets.. especially after Eddie O. and Mark O. were traded there.

December 13, 2008 @ 5:28 PM

Buffalo Boy Mike

Hawerchuk in an Era with Gretzky, Lemeiux and Messier was probably the fourth best of the bunch, who knows where he would have been had he been on a decent team too, Winnepeg and then to Buffalo, granted he played with Mogilny and LaFontaine in Buffalo, he was also a second line center in Buffalo and didnt have anywhere near the caliber wingers he could have had elsewhere. He could have had two or three more 100+ point seasons had he had better linemates here or played with Mogilny consistantly. I never saw a guy pass the puck better than Dale except Gretz and Lemieux

December 13, 2008 @ 7:32 PM

Roshan

Get them back to where they should never have left. Coyotes have to move back to Winnipeg and call them the Jets. And while we are on the subject, teams like the Panthers, the Thrashers & the Lightning to move to Canadian cities like Quebec, Hamilton, Halifax or London.

December 14, 2008 @ 11:29 AM

Pete McPhedran

Winnipeg can't support an NHL team. Why'd they lose it in the first place? They didn't have the financing to run the team. It is expensive to run an NHL organization and they can't sell enough tickets in Winnipeg. Have a look at this:

It shows that not only would Winnipeg become thw smallest market in the NHL, it doesn't even have enough population in the Province to support it. If they became a team again, they would have the smallest population draw by a factor of over 3X, next is Calgary and Edmonton where both cities have significant Business interests to support the teams through sponsorship, boxes and season tickets.

Winnipegs largest employer is the government. They don't buy boxes or season tickets.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see another Canadian team in the NHL, but Winnipeg is doomed to fail again if they get another team.

The NHL needs to resolve the perceived Toronto veto issue and get another team in the GTA or outskirts, whether that is Hamilton, Kitchener/Waterloo or Oshawa, doesn't matter. It will thrive and do well, and I'm a Leaf Fan, not a disgruntled one that wants to see them "get what they deserve". I think competition will force them to do better.

Same thoughts for Quebec City. They couldn't support a team, and won't be able to in the future.

--Pete