Coldplay vs. Joe Satriani

musicJoe Satriani has filed a lawsuit against Coldplay, accusing the popular British band of plagiarizing one of his songs on their latest hit album, according to court documents published on Thursday.

Satriani recorded "If I Could Fly" back in 2004 and it sounds a lot like Coldplay's "Viva la Vida". In fact, after you watch the youtubery below, you'll hear the similarities. My sweet Lord!

I picked up Joe Satriani's Flying in a Blue Dream back in 1989 when Q107 was playing the crap out of "Big Bad Moon".

Stephanie Wilkinson

Oooohhh..... v-e-r-y close.....

December 5, 2008 @ 6:19 PM

chris

Joe Satriani should be a member of Coldplay, his guitar work is much better.

December 5, 2008 @ 7:31 PM

Tim

It is sad that Coldplay would make a blatant rip off of someone else's work especially a respected musician like Joe Satriani who has been in the industry for decades.

December 6, 2008 @ 9:02 AM

Buffalo Boy Mike

I wonder if they knowingly did it. All the songs that have been recorded, all the music that is out there, I highly doubt that Coldplay is sitting in a room going hey, lets rip this off. The melody on the two songs are very different, the guitar solo is similar, I think plagarizing is mainly concerned with melody and lyric

December 6, 2008 @ 11:26 PM

Roshan

Cudn't ever stand Coldplay. Worship Satriani. Wimpish rock plagarizing a guitar god? Sacrilege!!!

December 8, 2008 @ 1:36 PM

Rick

I knew it the minute I heard it.

I'm a big Satch fan.

Chord progression is simple, and may not have been ripped off, but they also copied tempo, beat and melody. They are just too similar.

It's a rip off 100%

December 8, 2008 @ 6:01 PM

don'tfront

I concur.

Total and direct rip off. The rhythmic pattern and notes are identical (with the expception of Joe being able to play more notes in a measure than Coldplay).

If Coldplay pretend they don't listen to Satriani they are liars and shouldn't be making music anyway.

December 8, 2008 @ 7:03 PM

jfish

It's all subconscious. What incredibly huge artist/band is going to intentionally rip someone off? It's just not good for publicity/reputation. There are thousands of songs at 120 bpm in the key of A. And with all the recorded music out there, there are hundreds of examples of songs with similar characteristics. Coldplay just got unlucky that their song accidentally sounds like a relatively well-known rock artist.

December 9, 2008 @ 1:22 PM

guy

I'm a big coldplay fan!

I think they are similar but not exactly the same. I highly doubt that Coldplay would plagarize this.

December 12, 2008 @ 11:02 PM

some jackass

I like coldplay, satriani's sounds more like speed of sound than viva la vida

April 22, 2009 @ 8:49 PM