Four Christmases

A Movie ReelFour Christmases: 3 out of 10.

I had several issues with Four Christmases, a family comedy starring Vince Vaughn and Reese Witherspoon.

First and foremost, this supposed comedy isn't the least bit funny. I think I smiled twice, but I didn't register one chuckle. The writing is weak, the characters are hateful and the primary comedic device for laughter are babies who vomit. If you think a baby vomiting on someone is comedy gold, this is the movie for you!

In addition to not being funny, this holiday film isn't the least bit endearing. You never care one iota about these two selfish idiots and their families are even worse. Jon Voight shows up for a pay cheque and gives us the moral of the story, something about the importance of spending time with family, and we learn at the end that this advice was completely ignored. This movie is under 90 minutes in length and it's still way too long and surprisingly empty. There's nothing to take home with you. Absolutely nothing.

And plot holes... don't get me started. There are plot holes in this movie you can drive a mack truck through. The entire premise is faulty.

In conclusion, this is the worst movie I've seen in a theatre in about a decade that isn't funny, isn't endearing and isn't worth 82 minutes of your precious life.

elvis

Sounds like a rental to me! Are there boobs? Nothing says Merry Christmas like boobs.

November 27, 2008 @ 2:04 PM

Coach

Sounds like a boycott to me, what is the deal with SO MANY unfunny "comedies"!!!!!

The most recent that come to mind are "Heartbreak Kid" "Walk Hard" and yes even "Semi Pro" had to turn them all off mid way.

Pathetic if you ask me. Hate filled is right!

November 27, 2008 @ 7:23 PM

Toronto Mike

Coach, "Walk Hard" will seem like "Superbad" after you watch "Four Christmases".

November 27, 2008 @ 7:24 PM

Toronto Mike

Interesting Four Christmases trivia I forgot to mention in my review...

Ralphie from A Christmas Story has a cameo in this film making Peter Billingsley the only actor to appear in both the best Christmas movie and worst Christmas movie in the history of the world.

November 27, 2008 @ 7:29 PM

Andrew

To call this the worst Christmas movie is taking it too far.

Have you seen:

A Carol Christmas (Tori Spelling!)
The Santa Claus Movie
The Santa Clause III
Surviving Christmas
The Santa Clause 2

There are a lot worse movies.

Billingsley also helped produce "Elf".

November 28, 2008 @ 9:19 AM

Toronto Mike

I haven't seen any of those 5 movies.

November 28, 2008 @ 9:44 AM

Andrew

There are a lot more Christmas movies worse than Four Christmases Trust me.

November 28, 2008 @ 10:29 AM

Roshan

I can't stand Vince Vaughn.

November 30, 2008 @ 10:30 AM

elvis

I just got back from watching this movie and I can't count the number of times I laughed outloud - I even cried during the Taboo board game scene - great movie. Hilarious.

December 12, 2008 @ 9:08 PM

Toronto Mike

Very funny, Elvis. You almost had me going there. The fact is, it's impossible do describe Four Christmases as hilarious or great.

We both know this is quite possibly the least funny comedy in the history of the motion picture.

December 13, 2008 @ 9:37 AM

elvis

Dude - I'm serious. I laughed out loud multiple times.

I was thinking though - what part did you need to talk to your boy? There were a couple of times where you maybe would have had to...

December 13, 2008 @ 10:11 AM

Toronto Mike

Censor 1: The opening when Vince is calling his girl a slut and a bitch. Those are a couple of words I decided to chat over.

Censor 2: When Vaughn is telling his nephew that his daddy is Santa Claus and Santa is fictional. My boy fully believes and I know it won't last long but I'll be damned if he puts 1 and 1 together during a steaming pile of shite like this.

And dude, were you high? Seriously... you must have been high. Please tell me you were high.

December 13, 2008 @ 1:44 PM