Coalition Government

ottawaI majored in History, which demanded I take a few Canadian history courses, and even I'm confused by what's taking place in Ottawa right now.

Stephane Dion's Liberals have proposed a governing coalition with the NDP. A non-confidence motion drafted by the Liberal Opposition could be introduced in the House of Commons as early as Monday.

If it passes, and it sounds like it might unless Harper's Conservatives change their tune, the Liberals and New Democrats would visit Governor General Michaƫlle Jean to request her permission to try to form a coalition government.

That's right, Dion could become our Prime Minister without an election. Stay tuned, things are starting to heat up in the nation's capital.

Jason | GetYourOJ.com

Well, at least it's not boring..

November 28, 2008 @ 5:52 PM

james edgar

The alternative is another election. Which I don't want. In fact the only thing worse than another election is a coalition government. Oops :(

And why is the posting box/frame in overtype mode. It's making me nuttier than normal. :(

November 28, 2008 @ 5:55 PM

J9

This is nuts.

November 29, 2008 @ 8:02 AM

Mike from Lowville

A coalition government could be just what is needed. The historians say the the coalition government under Pearson was the best Canada ever had. Harper is out of touch with reality along with his side kick Flaherty. They did it to themselves.

November 29, 2008 @ 8:55 AM

Mike from Lowville

November 29, 2008 @ 8:56 AM

Al

I'm not an expert on this by any means and I voted Liberal in the last election, not because I had faith in Dion as a leader, but because I didn't want Harper to have full reign. But this doesn't seem right to me. This whole notion of a change in leadership without an actual election seems to subvert the entire democratic process. Don't get me wrong, I'm in no mood for another election, but as much as I didn't care for the results of the last election, I'm not a fan of any political party gaining power by any means other than an election. It has been my poisition when on many occasions MPs have switched parties, and it is my position here as well. I just think it sets a dangerous precident.

December 1, 2008 @ 12:53 PM

mike

This is not democracy. No matter who you voted for,the elected prime minister shall prevail. This is total crap!

December 1, 2008 @ 1:53 PM

elvis

No one voted for a prime minister as you cannot in Canada, therefore, if the party with the most seats cannot hold onto power, it only makes sense that a next best step would be for the House of Commons to elect another Prime Minister as a stop gap before going back to the electorate. There is precedence for this. You voted for your MP and your MP will still be in the House, no matter who is PM.

December 1, 2008 @ 5:02 PM

blain

I agree it's not democracy. A bunch of spoiled boys more worried about their political power than Canada's economy. How can a party that has lost seats even think they have the right to govern Canada?

December 2, 2008 @ 12:48 AM

Angie

I also am not an expert but the thought of the democratic process being upset by a group where most have not governed federally is a bunch of crap! Giles Duceppe does not even have a federal party - why should he be representing me!
What a big bunch of babies they are. Quit your belly aching and get back to work. We just had an election that cost way too much - we can't afford to waste money going to another election.

December 2, 2008 @ 6:38 PM

Jean-Anne

It is a very sad day when the right to vote in this country means nothing! Men and women from all makes of life took the time to make their voice heard and for what?

Let us all get together and stop this ridiculous attempt to overthrow the voice of the Canadian people! There is no crystal ball that will show that a coalition government can do any better than what was morally and ethically voted by the Canadian voters.

December 3, 2008 @ 4:27 PM