Why Don't You Vote?

VoteWhy don't you vote? That's right, I'm talking to you. Today is our federal election and you've got until 9:30 tonight to cast your ballot, yet many of you won't bother to exercise this right.

I'm sincerely curious. I love voting. People have literally died to protect our democracy. Why do you choose not to vote? Is it laziness? Is it because you're undecided?

Of course, the kind of person most likely to comment here is also the kind of person most likely to vote, so I expect just as much apathy in the comments. But, if you're Canadian and not voting in this election, I'd love to read why you've made this choice.

Why don't you vote?

Argie

Mike: I just posted this on Fred's site.
------------------
This is an important decision which should not be decided by which party has the catchy/trendy name (i.e. Green Party), or a party which promises to pay tuition to clueless university students.

My message to all Canadians (citizens that is, right Liberal Party?) is this: Get informed, make a choice and then go vote!

October 14, 2008 @ 12:21 PM

Fredericton Steve

after going to vote today and seeing the cluster**** that was involved I no longer blame anyone who doesnt vote.

October 14, 2008 @ 2:19 PM

Stephanie Wilkinson

I voted. It was easy and probably took no longer than 25 seconds from time I walked in to the time I walked out.

And I voted for the person who I best see representing Canada on the world stage. Not the person who promises everything under the sun and free tuition, or the person who seems to have forgotten what 13 years of his party's leadership did to this country. I didn't vote for the colour green, but I do like a lot of what she says, but in this world, right now, it's not enough and the people she has running with her would not do well with the challenge. Go forward 10 or 15 years and I'm sure it'll be a different story. I support and voted for the person who deserves to win a majority this time.

And Mike, I'm reminded of the Ontario election ads this time last year which made the point if you don't vote, you have no say in how anything is done. They still make me laugh.

October 14, 2008 @ 2:52 PM

Jake

I'm not voting. I hope that the voter turnout tonight is lower than 2004. I don't paint myself left right or center - I'm just indifferent.

If they want me to vote, how about giving me a fine if I don't exercise my vote. They do that in Austrailia.

October 14, 2008 @ 3:19 PM

Stephanie Wilkinson

Jake, why don't you vote? How do you say you're indifferent but have formed enough of an opinion not to vote?

October 14, 2008 @ 5:41 PM

Mike from Lowville

People that don't vote make me sick. Really, sick...un Canadian, not worthy of the space they take up. Kind of harsh, eh? Lazy, good for nothings. Only 58% bothered to show up. Ain't that swell. Again, makes me sick. Looks like all the Cons voted though. Yeah Jake, like I said before we should make it mandatory to go to the polls and cast a ballot or be fined. If no one is to your liking, spoil the ballot. That sends a message in it self. That will never happen though, the powers that be always get what they want.......elected.

October 15, 2008 @ 8:13 AM

Mike from Lowville

"And I voted for the person who I best see representing Canada on the world stage."
Stephanie? Do you live in Harpers riding? That's the only way you could vote for him under our current system.

October 15, 2008 @ 8:48 AM

elvis

Jake should be required to work in a verteran's hospital for 1 month and then determine if being indifferent is a good choice.

October 15, 2008 @ 9:00 AM

Argie

I have way more respect for a person like Jake who chooses not to vote than someone who simply goes to the polls and willy nilly decides which person/party is best suited to lead this country.

One of the freedoms we have from our veterans fighting in world wars is the choice NOT to vote. We should never force or compel anyone to vote if they don’t want to.

October 15, 2008 @ 1:26 PM

Rhoney C

We are also free to apathetically watch incompetent leaders rule this nation just as much as the Allied powers in WW2 were free to choose inaction when the holocaust was occurring.

I'm sure the veterans fought for that.

Freedom is a double edged sword. Sometimes it is more ethical to refuse it than accept apathy.

Vote. Let your voice be heard.

November 14, 2008 @ 7:06 PM