Chinese Democracy Underwhelms

cdI had to have Use Your Illusion I and II on the first day of its release. That was back in 1991 and I was a big time GNR fan. If you were there you knew there was no bigger rock band on the planet than Guns N' Roses.

We didn't know it at the time, but Use Your Illusion I and II would end up being the final studio albums from this band for almost two decades. I remember the debates I'd have with my friends as to which one was better, I or II. Both were great, but I was a little partial to II.

17 years later, Axl Rose is threatening to actually release Chinese Democracy. It must be happening after years of psych outs and teases because radio is playing the first single, also titled "Chinese Democracy".

17 years after Use Your Illusion, this Gunners fan is underwhelmed by "Chinese Democracy". Maybe it will grow on me, the way the new Metallica single did, but I doubt it. It's okay, but after 17 years I was hoping for better than okay.

Wake me when Axl and Slash kiss and make up in a few years for a cash grab reunion tour.

felix

I was right there with you, dude, I got I & II on the first day of release as well.

I'd say neither under nor over, but merely whelmed by the song so far.

October 25, 2008 @ 4:00 PM

Buffalo Boy Mike

Yeah, Same here, I hear Slash, but Axl's vocals are no where near where they were, thats what close to 20 years in the dumper will do to you. Wasn't the Spahgetti Incident their last release or are we ignoring that and pretending it never came out.

October 25, 2008 @ 4:48 PM

James Edgar

I sort of Liked Appitite for Distruction after seeing them open for the Cult but have never listened to the double albums and won't be listening to this one either. Just not getting GNR.

October 25, 2008 @ 5:26 PM

Toronto Mike

The Spaghetti incident was just a bunch of covers, so I guess I should have clarified that it's been 17 years since a studio album of new material.

Appetite For Destruction was fantastic. A killer play-through.

October 25, 2008 @ 9:00 PM

Jason | GetYourOJ.com

It's not a threat, the album is coming out this time. It has also leaked for the zillionth time already.

Dude.. I know you're old but try to keep up ;-)

October 26, 2008 @ 6:53 PM

Roshan

Man I remember getting the Illusion albums back in 1991. Watching the 'You Could be mine' video on MTV (when they still played videos) for the first time. Those were great albums and I preferred the first one.

October 26, 2008 @ 11:14 PM