CASBY Awards 2008 Bound

ticketsThanks to Jason Barr, I'm going to the CASBY Awards 2008 at the Kool Haus on Wednesday night. A sweet selection of Canadian bands will be performing, including City and Colour, Tokyo Police Club, USS, Neverending White Lights and Sloan.

I know a lot of old CFNY fans read this blog, and they'll remember back in the day when the CASBY Awards were known as the U-Knows. They were the U-Knows from 1981 until 1986 when they were re-branded the CASBY Awards after a listener contest. CASBY stands for Canadian Artists Selected By You.

In a sad coincidence, the very first U-Knows award for Canadian Album of the Year went to Teenage Head for Frantic City. Teenage Head also won Group of the Year. Lead singer of Teenage Head, Frankie Venom, passed away earlier in the week. Hopefully there's some kind of tribute to him on Wednesday night.

I'll let you all know Thursday.

Buffalo Boy Mike

Have fun Mike, wish I could go! Sounds like a pretty impressive lineup. Tokyo Police Club are one of the best up and coming groups, gives us old time CFNY folks something sink our teeth into again

October 18, 2008 @ 9:58 PM

Fredericton Steve

Hey Mike, I hear there is a Pearl Jam weekend on the edge. You listening? They said they would go "deep" in the catalog.

October 19, 2008 @ 7:53 AM

Toronto Mike

I had it on for a while yesterday. I heard...

Dissident
Rocking in the Free World w/ Bono
I Am Mine
Daughter
Nothing As It Seems

When I Am Mine was playing I was thinking how nice it was to hear a song I feel is terribly underplayed and underappreciated. It's as if there's a whole crowd of people who just want to hear Jeremy or Alive. I'm sick of Jeremy and Alive!

October 19, 2008 @ 9:08 AM

Fredericton Steve

That RITFW with Bono is awful.

I agree with the love for I Am Mine though, its a personal fave.

October 19, 2008 @ 10:28 AM

Toronto Mike

I'm partial to that RITFW with Bono because I was there.

October 19, 2008 @ 10:33 AM

Fredericton Steve

I just wish bono would shut up during the guitar solos

October 19, 2008 @ 12:24 PM

Argie

Mike: I’ve always liked Pearl Jam - despite Eddy’s political leanings….

Do you know if there’s a DVD or at least a CD of their Unplugged MTV appearance? I remember watching years ago but unfortunately only once.

October 20, 2008 @ 4:28 PM

Toronto Mike

That's okay, I like Kid Rock despite his political leanings.

There's certainly no official DVD or CD from that unplugged - which is awesome by the way.

I have the MP3s here. And I know the performances are on YouTube.

October 20, 2008 @ 4:29 PM

Irvine

Edge is still on the air? Given the pace that they find "new rock"..it's a wonder they've actually played Pearl Jam yet.

Worst Alt Rocker on the planet, Edge 102.

October 22, 2008 @ 12:52 AM