All Summer Long

MusicI've always liked Kid Rock. In fact, I once took my mom to a Kid Rock concert. No other artist pulls off a hip hop track next to southern rock, right by a country-esque ballad. Kid Rock has this ability to genre-jump like no other artist.

Take "All Summer Long", for example. Last year around this time, a running buddy gave me a copy of Rock N Roll Jesus, and "All Summer Long" jumped out as the catchy pop hit of the album. It's based on Warren Zevon's "Werewolves of London" and Lynyrd Skynyrd's "Sweet Home Alabama" and it's a damn fun listen.

This past summer "All Summer Long" received plenty of airplay, from rock stations, pop stations and country stations. Hell, yesterday morning I heard it on EZ Rock, the safest of the safe MOR stations in this city. Here are stations in Toronto that have likely played "All Summer Long".

• CHUM FM
  • EZ Rock
  • CHFI
  • Q107
  • JACK-FM
  • Virgin 999
  • 97.7 HTZ
  • Y108
  • Any other pop / rock / country station in town I can't think of right now

I'll bet my buddy Freddie P at The Wolf in Peterborough played the crap out of this song. It's been everywhere in the summer of 2008, making it the single of the summer.

Genre-bending cross-over hits like that are pretty cool. When a pot-smoking, boozing, womanizing, hip-hip artist from Detroit gets played during John Tesh's show on EZ Rock, it's something very special.

andrew

Mighty Q doesn't play Kid Rock even though a great song.

October 11, 2008 @ 4:00 PM

Toronto Mike

I knew going with Q107 was risky, it being a classic rock station and this being a new song by a 90s artist, but I thought maybe because it sampled two classic rock songs so heavily that they may have played it.

CFNY played Bawitaba I believe... any chance they've played this?

October 11, 2008 @ 6:50 PM

Stephanie Wilkinson

Single of the Summer is a good way to refer to it. That's exactly what it was.

(did I mention I picked the new HNiC Theme??)

October 11, 2008 @ 7:41 PM

Toronto Mike

I thought I saw Don Cherry pick it.

It's okay, but the old HNiC was better. It had decades of memories tied to it.

Sometimes change stinks.

October 11, 2008 @ 7:53 PM

Stephanie Wilkinson

I definitely believe the old one was better. BUT.... in the top 5, I picked it at 5 and picked it at 2. The former version will always be Hockey Night it Canada. The new theme is simply that... the 'new' theme.

Which I like...

October 11, 2008 @ 8:43 PM

Jason | GetYourOJ.com

i think "sampling" is a bit of an understatement. it's essentially a REPRISE of "sweet home alabama".

the song is totally unoriginal, but DAMN catchy!

(it's easy to write catchy songs when you're just 'sampling someone else's work and make a hit, ask kanye west or M.I.A.)

Kid wanted it played on mainstream radio- obviously, mission accomplished. that counts for something..

as for 'single of the summer' good god no, don't agree with that..

October 12, 2008 @ 1:04 PM

Alison

Was our song of the summer for sure But really, who doesn't like a stripper pole in the back of a boat..I'm just saying...

Alison in Ottawa

October 13, 2008 @ 2:40 PM

Irvine

It's not even his song. It's two classic rock tunes he ripped off.

October 15, 2008 @ 10:05 PM

Toronto Mike

Next thing you'll tell me is that U Can't Touch This and Ice Ice Baby isn't original music...

October 15, 2008 @ 10:24 PM