How Many Active Blogs Are There?

Question MarkI'm working on my basement for most of today. My plan is to make my basement a comfy, fully functional all-purpose room where I can throw the kids for hours on end. Today I finish the ceiling before I do some painting and put down the new floor.

I just jumped online for a bit for an Ike update and to catch up on the blogs in my RSS feed. I follow a couple of dozen blogs, all of which are updated quite regularly. That got me wondering how many active blogs are out there.

I'm sure there are millions of blogs out there, but many are abandoned after a single entry, many more are abandoned shortly thereafter and many others are updated so infrequently they can't be labelled 'active'. I consider an active blog one that's being updated at least two times a week.

In my family, there is no other blogger. I can't think of many off-line friends with a blog. Fred Patterson has an active blog and Humble updates his blog on a regular basis and a guy on my dodgeball team has a blog that he updates about twice a month but that's about it. There are a handful of bloggers I've met through this site, but that's sort of like meeting fellow baseball fans at a Jays game.

This brings me to my original question. How many active bloggers are there? Last year, Technorati claimed there were 15.5 blogs updated within the previous 90 days. However, Technorati also claimed the number of English language blogs were declining as bandwagon jumpers realized blogging wasn't for them. As I search for an estimate as to how many active English-language blogs there are world-wide, in Canada and in the GTA I'm quickly discovering it's an exercise in frustration.

There are Blogger blogs and LiveJournal blogs and MySpace blogs and corporate blogs and self-hosted blogs and how many are indexed by Technorati and how many are active and... you get the picture.

Maybe you can help me with this. I'm looking for estimated ranges for the following. Throw me a comment if you have a clue.

1. How many active English-language blogs are there in the world?
  2. How many active blogs are there in Canada?
  3. How many active blogs are there in the GTA?
  4. Are you an active blogger? If yes, please throw your blog URL in the comments.

The Mind of a Mom

Although I needed to change my blog addy, that has not stopped me from posting an entry on my blog every day since I began in February and some days It is more then one post.

September 13, 2008 @ 12:35 PM

brad

The problem with this kind of research is the proliferation of splogs. Wired wrote about splogs here.

Most blogs are splogs. I read lots of blogs, but I won't blog. I just don't have enough to say.

September 13, 2008 @ 12:35 PM

Buffalo Boy Mike

Mike, I just read an article that said that China alone has over 7.7 million active bloggers.

September 13, 2008 @ 3:06 PM

Toronto Mike

That's 1 out of every 168 people over there - very impressive. I'm betting very few are in English.

If we apply the same ratio to Canada, we have 178, 571 active bloggers.

I'm betting we don't have close to that many.

September 13, 2008 @ 4:20 PM

Buffalo Boy Mike

How many Toronto Blogs are there?

September 13, 2008 @ 5:17 PM

Toronto Mike

That is the question!

When you strip out the splogs and abandoned blogs, I'll bet there's less than 1500 active blogs in this city.

And yes, that's a complete guess.

September 13, 2008 @ 5:40 PM

Buffalo Boy Mike

there has got to be a way to find out.

September 13, 2008 @ 9:04 PM

Toronto Mike

It's not a cheap plug if I asked for it. Toronto bloggers, throw down your URL!

September 15, 2008 @ 1:33 PM

Roshan

Well, I would say that there are about 10 million active blogs around the world. Its a very common thing now. I have an aunt who blogs.

September 16, 2008 @ 10:21 AM

Hillfraurry

Hi!
My name is Jessika!

December 12, 2008 @ 2:59 PM

keejoitiodiek

Videochiamata...problemi?aiuto un po di tempo fa ho eliminato foto dal mio pc,ora mi servono chi sa un programmino free da scaricare che mi possa aiutare??
Chat Umbria
____________
buon 2009

February 2, 2009 @ 6:59 AM

hoandpaunny

Aiuto su pc Vaio 16:9?Vado subito al dunque... il problema ?? che io nel mentre che chatto mi si stacca da solo per favore ditemi cosa devo fare .. perch?? nn ce la faccio pi?? poi quando mi voglio collegare mi dice problema io faccio correggi e poi dopo tanti tentativi mi si collega per?? dopo 5 minuti mi si scollega di nuovo... aiuto!
Chat Lazio
____________
tanti auguri a tutti quanti

March 18, 2009 @ 8:53 PM

RuinueDenDync

A very different website that I came across. It is related to your questions specific in nature to surgeries. You can post your questions related to any problem that deals with any surgery problems or if you are seeking any surgery done but have questions in your mind. good information as most of the people post very good questions that are related to our every day life.
So do checkout and bookmark to see from time to time to see new answers posted
Thanks