You Have No Right To Protest

olympicsAs the Olympic Games draw closer, I find myself getting more and more upset. Back in March I shared my conflicted feelings. I love the Olympics and I enjoy posting about every medal Canada wins, but I hate to give that kind of attention to this event in China at this time.

International Olympic Committee president Jacques Rogge says that athletes have no right to make individual protests during the Games. Our athletes have no right to protest the celebration of a country with a laundry list of human rights violations ranging from the suppression of religious liberties to the execution of thousands of its citizens annually for challenging the ruling party and supporting Darfur genocide and other evils throughout the world.

I said it in March and I'm sticking with the plan. I will celebrate each Canadian medal with an entry but I won't be celebrating these games or the host country in print. I'm rooting for our athletes and pumped about promoting them, I just don't want to glorify these Games.

That's my right.

LEW

There could be an impact if people cared enough to make their grandstanding at the local Wal-Mart and stop buying Chinese products - wasn't Apartheid finally beaten by economics?
Enjoy the games Mike!
Go Canada Go!!!

August 7, 2008 @ 3:48 PM

Ajax Mike

Boycotting South African products was fairly easy. Best of luck not buying chinese products if you've got to get clothes or shoes or toys for kids, especially on a budget.

August 7, 2008 @ 4:02 PM

Kevin

I completely agree. It seems that China is not only stifling it's resident dissidents, but international ones too.

Ive written about this extensively on my blog. See http://codexofdreams.blogspot.com/search/label/China

August 7, 2008 @ 5:27 PM

elvis

That's too bad Mike - you can celebrate the Games and condem the hosts in the same breath.

August 8, 2008 @ 8:24 AM

Argie

I agree Mike 100%. Go Canada Go but to hell with China and their leaders.

August 8, 2008 @ 9:38 AM

Jason | GetYourOJ.com

What a bunch of BS i hope one of ours wins a medal then symbolically throws it down. how awesome that would be.

August 8, 2008 @ 2:32 PM

Jason | GetYourOJ.com

yeah, good point, don't complain if you shop at wal-mart or but lap top bags ant grand n toy etc etc

hypocrites