Hallelujah! Saint Ralph Soundtrack To Be Released

musicI heard there was a secret chord, that David played and it pleased the Lord, but you don't really care for music, do you?

Sure you do. And many of you, like myself, love Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah". In fact, I'm willing to bet a bunch of you are only here because of my hunt for Gord Downie's cover of "Hallelujah" that plays during the climatic scene of Saint Ralph, a charming as all hell Canadian flick from back in 2004.

I just got some very good news about the non-existent soundtrack for Saint Ralph. My source tells me there's a soundtrack deal in place and a proper release of the soundtrack, including Gord Downie's "Hallelujah", is imminent.

I'll share more details when I'm able, but this is precisely what we've been working on. The hunt was frustrating and I'm still sharing the MP3 ripped from the DVD daily but my persistence paid off when I received a rare copy of this unavailable soundtrack. You can revisit my entire Hallelujah journey at https://www.torontomike.com/gord_downies_hallelujah/.

By the way, my source for this good news gave me a tip on another Michael McGowan film debuting at this year's Toronto International Film Festival.

The same film-maker who wrote and directed Saint Ralph, has written and directed a new film called "One Week" and while Gord doesn't sing on this soundtrack, he does have a cameo in the film, and is a mighty fine actor I must say! It's premiering at the Toronto Film Festival and if you liked Saint Ralph, you'll love this film too. It's a bit of a more mature version of an "up with life and humanity" film, but incredibly moving....and fellow Canadian Joshua Jackson turns in a stellar performance and firmly announces himself as a serious actor post "Dawson's Creek" days.

It's a really great thought provoking film and will no doubt be a big hit either as an independent film, or as a Juno type small film that finds a mainstream audience. Hopefully and deservingly the latter. Check it out if you can.

Hallelujah!

Andy Sheepleton

I have been checking back on your site for over two years now hoping that there will be a light at the end of the tunnel. My hope is waning thin again.. It seems like every time it looks like I will be able to buy this song it does not quite happen. (although it has not been THAT long since your last post) I love this version of the song and I absolutely loved the movie. This is one of my most recommended films of all time.

I think it is one of the most underrated movies ever. At times it seemed that the film makers relied on formulaic teen hijinx (the pool scene) and were afraid to go all out and deliver a funny heartwarming movie about faith and disappointment but the second half of the movie more than makes up for the first and the end result was an awesome emotional roller coaster of a movie that kept you emotionally involved and on the edge of your seat. Downies version of Hallelujah captured the hope and desperation of the movie absolutely perfectly.

I keep hoping that there will be a way to get the song and give Downie, and or the movie producers money for their artistic achievement because they certainly deserve it.

On a closing note if you, like I, loved the movie you may also like Millions. (gotta love those saints.)

October 5, 2008 @ 6:36 PM

Matt

Hi Mike! First off, thanks for sending the song (the ripped one, just so no one gets jealous!)

Has there been any news on this, or should I keep from getting my hopes up? Thanks!

November 15, 2008 @ 10:17 PM

Toronto Mike

I'll write my source for an update right now...

November 15, 2008 @ 10:26 PM

Mary Ann Burton

Hi Mike,
Recently had the chance to see this movie and what a great movie!!!!!!! I suggest this movie to everyone I know. Every song is touching especially Hallelujah. I would be soooo grateful to have a copy. Any chance?

December 4, 2008 @ 1:19 AM

Sarita

Heya Mike,

My husband and I just recently watched this movie and love both the movie and the song. Please let me know when the song becomes available for purchase. Thanks!

January 1, 2009 @ 10:26 AM

Jen Keller

My husband and I absolutely LOVED this movie! We recommend it to everyone we know!! We have also been searching for the Hallelujah song--pls keep us in the loop of when it's available. Thanks!!!

June 6, 2009 @ 2:28 PM

roma

please please please...

could you please send me the song to my e-mail?! please.....

a fan of the movie from Barcelona (spain)

July 26, 2009 @ 1:52 PM

Robert

It has been YEARS trying to get a hold of this song? Can you or anybody send it to me?

August 9, 2009 @ 5:57 AM

Alice Hill

Any updates since August?
After watching St. Ralph my brain looped Hallelujah throughout 8 hours of sleep and I woke with a music hangover. I had to find a cure, thus discovered your blog and am hopeful there is something new to share.
Best, Alice

December 19, 2009 @ 3:26 PM

All has gone quiet on this front and my optimism has been vanquished. :-(

December 19, 2009 @ 6:37 PM

Chris

Better to break a promise than do more harm in keeping it. Only you are in a position to understand the harm (personal, professional or legal) you might do from sharing the song. Certainly a small harm is done to everyone with a self-interest in having the song available to themselves. But there is the potential for a much greater harm also. Mike, whatever becomes of the efforts to release the soundtrack, please do not allow this song to be lost forever. That may seem far-fetched, but countless recordings that were published and distributed do not survive today. I'm sure that you have weighed the harm done by keeping your oath against the harm done by breaking it and you're actions speak to your decision. Nonetheless, I implore you that when all hope for publication is lost, release the song. Your decision on this might determine whether future generations ever hear it, or whether it ceases to exist.

March 29, 2010 @ 11:57 PM

Andrew

Toronto Mike. Great to find your site. Would enjoy a copy of the Downie track - please. Cheers. AC

May 13, 2010 @ 8:02 PM

eddie k

your right--im here for the hallejujah song---it was the most appropriate and perfect song for the climax of any movie ive ever heard--it made that movie-which i love - it was the most spiritual movie ive ever seen-it was real faith-the way its meant to be-bible faith--eddie

May 20, 2010 @ 8:37 PM

Steve H (San Diego)

I just came across this gem of a movie on Netflix today and must say that the climax of the film with Gord Downie's song moved me to freakin' tears. I sure wish the soundtrack for the film were available. Thanks for your efforts Toronto Mike. Awesome, awesome song and film.

July 10, 2010 @ 3:38 PM

JanC

Hi, just found your blog, I would also like the Downie mp3 if you're still sending it out.
Too bad it's not on iTunes.
Thanks!

January 20, 2011 @ 8:28 PM

Sutt

I just saw, and was moved to tears by, the movie Saint Ralph. Gord Downie's version of Hallelujah put me over the top. Incredible. I'm a big Hip fan but it took me a whole verse and almost a whole chorus to realize that it was Gord singing. Not because it didn't sound like him, but because it just sounded like THE SONG itself, like the spirit of the song took over his voice and persona. Pure beauty. If you could share a copy, I would be most delighted and thankful.

February 15, 2012 @ 9:11 AM

Theresa Reilly

PLEASE, PLEASE, What is the name of the instrumental song playing at the end of St Ralph?? It's playing as his mother wakes up and as he's running, at the very end if movie. PLEASE
THANK
Theresa

May 27, 2017 @ 4:22 PM

Theresa Reilly

And, by the way, you can get Gord Downie's version of Hallelujah on You Tube now

May 27, 2017 @ 4:28 PM

@Theresa Reilly

Perhaps it's found on this unreleased soundtrack?

May 27, 2017 @ 7:02 PM

Kellie

I want this soundtrack!!

June 22, 2017 @ 9:59 PM

Kellie

Are you trying to encourage all of us to call First Artists and pressure them to release this unreleased soundtrack?

June 22, 2017 @ 10:25 PM