What Happens When You Text Message A Land Line

phoneMy home phone just rang and it was an automated operator at the other end. The recording told me I had a text message and asked me if I wanted to open it. I have never received a text message on a land line before, so I naturally chose to open the message. The message was then read to me by some text-to-speech software, it was something about Manny Ramirez, and that was it.

It turns out my brother accidentally text messaged my home phone. Now I know what happens when you do that. He works for Bell Mobility IT services and this was news to him.

Now don't go trying to text message from a land line. It hurts your finger dialling all those characters.

dale

Wait until the cost from phone co. comes in with this land line mssg. Been there - done that ONCE ONLY.

July 9, 2008 @ 8:12 PM

Toronto Mike

Very interesting... the sender pays for the text message, right?

There's no way the recipient can be dinged for this, or am I foolish and naive?

July 9, 2008 @ 8:29 PM

Lori

I had that message last week but the recording just kept repeating the number that called--never said a message! Odd......I wonder who pays?

July 9, 2008 @ 11:34 PM

Andrew

Bell and Telus are currently charging for receiving Text messages. I bet since they gave you the option of reading the message you will be charged.

Don't assume Mike!

July 10, 2008 @ 11:07 AM

James

i did this a couple years ago from my fido to my home phone just for a "wtf" will happen moment and it was my cell that was charged.. nada on the home phone but it could have changed at some point in the last 18 months or so..

July 10, 2008 @ 8:26 PM

James

I haven't commented on here in a small forever, and just stumbled across this entry. The cell on the sending end gets nailed $.15 when a land line text is opened (note: not sent) by the receiver. So if, say, it goes to voice mail, the service won't bill you for it.

The $.15 is just what Rogers charges, can't say anything for Bell or Telus.

October 22, 2008 @ 12:41 PM

gilbert miller

I received a message on my home phone and have no idea what it is ! All that i heard is gibberish..Is there anyway to find out the message or contact the sender?

February 22, 2012 @ 10:52 AM

Karen W.

I just received a text message to my home phone number too, read by an automated voice, and it made very little sense. I only caught the last part, "how r u."
Hope it wasn`t anything too important.

July 16, 2013 @ 8:12 PM

La Vonne

I have received a text to my home phone along the same lines as was mentioned above. However this was a harassing message from a person that I know. Is there any way to forward these texts to another number?

November 5, 2013 @ 12:08 PM

Ron

I used text to landline and got a call from one customer asking who is this. The text was spelled out very clearly but the recipient is forced to listen to a crappy computer voice that sounds like gibberish.

So I left the very same message to my home phone and heard what people had to listen to. Well, I will never use that service again! I could barely understand what the voice was mumbling.

If you're thinking about sending one to somebody, send one to yourself first to see what it sounds like. You may think twice before sending such a message.

April 20, 2014 @ 8:30 PM

Mary

I have a Panasonic landline and if unwanted numbers call me, I can block up to 30 phone numbers. I'm sure other companies offer some variation of this lovely feature.

December 3, 2014 @ 7:16 AM

William J Kincaid

I have 3 service SPECTRUM (internet, phone and TV). Can somebody text my home phone? Can I use my internet or phone to text them?

May 8, 2018 @ 9:34 AM

Bart

Received two text conversion calls to our land line with Bell, can,t make it out, but at the end there is a laughter that sound like a witch.. Any idea how to stop this ??..

December 19, 2018 @ 11:14 AM