Ryan Hollweg Joins Worst Maple Leaf Team Ever

Maple LeafsThe Toronto Maple Leafs acquired forward Ryan Hollweg from the New York Rangers for a 2009 fifth-round draft pick. The 25-year-old has five goals and seven assists in 200 career NHL games, all with the Rangers. New York will get Pittsburgh’s pick in next year’s draft, which we acquired in the deal that sent Hal Gill to the Penguins at the deadline last season.

Welcome, Ryan Hollweg, to the worst Maple Leafs team ever. Don't worry, we're okay with a 2008/2009 season of total stinkage. In fact, we're going to have fun with it and give you all funny nicknames.

For you I'm leaning toward Weggy.

PPP

Worst ever? No.

Pretty bad? Probably.

Will I accept it if it helps move the rebuild along? You bet.

July 14, 2008 @ 8:04 PM

Toronto Mike

Let's all agree that the 1984-1985 season is the worst in Leafs history.

Games Played: 80
Wins: 20
Loss: 52
Ties: 8
Pts: 48

What will save next year's team from suffering a worse fate is the shootout and that damn point they give you for losing in OT.

I'm predicting 30 wins in 2008/2009.

July 14, 2008 @ 8:10 PM

PPP

Thank God I was too young to see that season.

Maybe a coherent strategy in the shootout will get the Leafs a few more Ws but 30 sounds about right. Dammit.

July 14, 2008 @ 8:22 PM

Toronto Mike

I remember that season. It gave us the gift of Wendel.

July 14, 2008 @ 8:24 PM

Mike (Buffalo Boy)

Wow, you guys are really down on this team. Are we actually going to see a Baseball City for a while now?

July 14, 2008 @ 8:59 PM

A.R.

Good thing we have Raptors to cheer on.

July 14, 2008 @ 9:12 PM

felix

Wow, is this the first appearance of PPP on this blog? Impressive.

I'm not sure I'm ready for a coherent shootout strategy, though. Will an 84/85 type season land us the gift of Tavares? A guy can dream...

July 15, 2008 @ 1:25 AM

PPP

hahaha no I've commented here before not that TO Mike has commented on my blog ;)

Mike - Toronto will be a baseball city for a week the next time the Jays win the Series.

July 15, 2008 @ 8:28 AM

Toronto Mike

C'mon guys, the Leafs could win 10 games and this city would still be a Leafs city.

What's a PPP? ;-)

July 15, 2008 @ 9:01 AM

Down Goes Brown

Hollweg The Angry Inch

July 15, 2008 @ 9:42 AM

Toronto Mike

That's definitely a candidate... nice work.

July 15, 2008 @ 10:01 AM

The Captain

I dont mind having a crappy team in 08/09...but do we have to trade away all the second and 3rd round picks to build this crappy team...geeze!!

July 15, 2008 @ 10:41 AM

eyebleaf

we've cut dead weight in the form of raycroft and tucker. and we've got a coach who knows a thing or two about defence and penalty killing. if we could get 83 points with last year's squad, the leafs won't be so bad. losing raycroft alone and replacing him with cujo means we might be in store for another 5 wins. that's 10 points. that puts us right in the mix for those final 2 playoff spots.

this is, of course, pending the return of the one and only mats sundin. i'm in the minority, but i don't think the leafs will be that bad next year.

July 15, 2008 @ 11:54 AM

Wayne Frazer

Just what this team needed -- someone skilled in the art of boarding.

It's only a fifth rounder, but a good scouting staff could still find something useful in the fifth. I guess that explains why the Leafs don't need it.

July 15, 2008 @ 12:31 PM

bullspitt

this is a guy who is going to fit into the leafs new plan. A guy who is a real competiter, his speed in the forward posittion will be awsome for the trap.(same with hagman,and garbovski) Fletcher turned alot of his old players into draft picks. (or faster, younger players to fit the trap style) from what i see in this off season the leafs are now a stronger faster team its to bad they couldnt lock up sundin now. i really like where the team is heading the only concern i have is, i think they could have got some of the free agents they signed a little cheaper than what they went for. but i do know its hard to convince a player to come to a hockey town were they will be critazized for every move they make( so mabe thats why so much money had to be spent) oh ya and with fletcher getting so many defenceman watch for a trade macabe most likly but to get someone to take him they will need to sweetin the deal with a good young player ( white,stralman,)watch out fletcher doesnt make a 6 player trade.

July 15, 2008 @ 3:35 PM

Toronto Mike

Bullspitt, what colour is the sky in your world?

McCabe is refusing all trades. He's got a no-trade clause and Uncle Cliffy by the balls.

Fletcher has overpaid for a bunch of third and fourth liners. Assuming Sundin retires or moves on, where will the goals come from? Let me see, there's Antropov and Poni and Blake and Steen and Stajan and Hagman... yikes!

And eyebleaf, I'll take on all comers as the most loyal, devoted Leafs fan on the block, but I'm also a realist and I won't drink the Kool-Aid. The talent level of the squad we've assembled isn't even close to that of a playoff team. I'm wondering who will be sent to the all-star game...

As PPP said, we're okay with maximum suckage next year, so long as we stick to the plan and become competitive again in three or four years.

July 15, 2008 @ 3:44 PM

Down Goes Brown

I'm wondering who will be sent to the all-star game...

I think they did away with the ridiculous "every team gets an all star" rule a few years back.

July 15, 2008 @ 4:12 PM

Toronto Mike

Did they? I remember when Brad Marsh represented Ottawa.

Maybe it's just MLB that still has every team represented.

Of course, there's always reliable Kaberle if we need a token pick... and Tosky could stand on his head.

July 15, 2008 @ 4:15 PM

felix

Ah, Brad Marsh. Many years ago when I used to play hockey in my parents' basement I nicknamed one of those structure support poles Brad Marsh.

Pretty much all it did was get in the way and block shots.

July 15, 2008 @ 5:45 PM

Down Goes Brown

Did they? I remember when Brad Marsh represented Ottawa.

Marsh was picked as one of the commisioner's selections -- back when the commish could basically add a player to each side who wasn't very good but had been around forever and was getting a last hurrah before being taken out behind the barn and shot.

But they did have the mandatory player rule back then, which meant the Sens actually had two players on an all-star team -- Marsh and goalie Peter Sidorkiewicz. Talk about a pity selection -- I honestly think he had three wins at the time.

Marsh and Sidorkiewicz will go down in history as the worst all-star contingent from a single team in the history of sports.

July 15, 2008 @ 8:46 PM

Toronto Mike

Didn't Marsh score a goal that game?

July 15, 2008 @ 9:14 PM

Edmonton Jason

Was just searching one of my favorite (hillarious) moments in sport and this conversation came up. The moment I'm speaking of is Brad Marsh scoring in the all-star game. As for for the comment about naming a house support after the cumbersome one, I laughed for hours, thanks for the smile felix.

January 26, 2009 @ 6:58 PM