Rogers Hijacks Our Web Browser

thumbsdownAt home, our ISP is Rogers. Judging from the analytics I receive for this site, many of you are also Rogers customers. It appears Bell and Rogers dominate the residential internet access space in the Greater Toronto Area.

When you put a term like "cnn" in the address bar, your browser typically adds on the .com for you. When you put a term like "torontomike" in the address bar, your browser typically treats it like a search and renders the results for that keyword in your default search engine. This is how the browsers work because it makes for the best user experience.

Rogers has decided to hijack that practice. Rogers customers who now put a term like "torontomike" in the address bar are automatically redirected by default to a Rogers-branded Yahoo search for that keyword, complete with obtrusive graphical advertisements at the top and right hand side, not to mention the textual sponsored links beneath that Rogers logo. Below is a screen cap of what you see with Rogers.

If you're a Rogers customer, here's how you stop the hijacking. At the very bottom click "Learn More About This Page" and agree to opt out of this madness. The opt-out is cookie-based, so if you clear your cookies you'll need to do it again.

What pisses me off is that I pay Rogers for access to the Internet, not for messing with the content. Take my money and give me a pipeline to the net where I can use whatever browser I choose and visit whatever sites I choose. I'm not paying for jerkware.

Rogers

Mississauga Mike

That's why you need good ol' Sympatico. Don't install Rogers' Norton software, that took over my computer with scan after scan after scan...

July 21, 2008 @ 3:35 PM

Steven

It also redirects valid .gov urls that don't include www. at the beginning. Try "nasa.gov"

July 21, 2008 @ 10:51 PM

Ajax Mike

Actually, I just recently installed the Norton security suite that comes with Rogers, and I was pleasantly surprised. Yes, it runs a weekly (or so) scan that I can't seem to reschedule, but other than that I haven't seen the memory hog that I expected. Makes me feel more comfortable than the freeware stuff I'd been using before anyway. I uninstalled the Rogers Self-Repair software thing though, that was just unnecessary.

July 22, 2008 @ 7:36 AM

Andrew

I hate Rogers. Too much crap like that. After 4 years, I just switched to Bell.

July 22, 2008 @ 8:18 AM

Irvine

Mike:

Uninstall all things Norton & migrate to Firefox or Safari.

For anti virus, try Kaspersky, it's an excellent program & the highest rated AV software out there.

July 22, 2008 @ 7:21 PM

Toronto Mike

I agree with Irvine about migrating to Firefox.

For anti virus, I've been using the free AVG version for years and haven't had a problem.

July 22, 2008 @ 9:13 PM

Anonymous

i hate bell the most. their speed sucks and their bandwidth throttling is ridiculous.

rogers is the only option for me in the GTA. but i dont know anyone that actually installs anything from an isp... u dont need anything other than the modem to get internet. i never use their bullshit cd.

August 28, 2008 @ 1:34 AM

Major

I run a Mac and Firefox. Never installed Anti-Virus software or any Rogers products, but I still get this. Can it be resolved by changing the DNS settings?

January 6, 2009 @ 11:11 PM

Anonymous

Rogers is fuckin' crap all over

January 1, 2013 @ 10:29 AM