Props to our Neighbours to the South

USA Barack Obama made history last night when he became the first African-American to win a major party nomination in the United States of America. Regardless of what you think of the man's politics, you have to be impressed with the significance of this happening.

Up to now, the only time an American President is anything other than a white man is in movies and television shows. President David Palmer on 24, only a few years ago, seemed to symbolize some enlightened future that could only exist in fiction. Yet here we are in June 2008.

As a Canadian looking down upon my neighbours to the South, I think it's pretty awesome.

Obama Logo

felix

As a Canadian looking back up at you guys to the North, I'll have to agree, Mike.

Morgan Freeman and Dennis Haysbert, this one's for you.

June 4, 2008 @ 6:12 PM

Coach

Cool logo, where's that from?

June 4, 2008 @ 6:14 PM

Toronto Mike

That's the official Barack Obama logo.

June 4, 2008 @ 6:21 PM

Mike (Buffalo Boy)

Yeah except, its not making headlines, what is is how can he use Hilary and if she should be his running mate, none of the Major news is noting the historical relevance of having Barack as a presidential candidate.

June 5, 2008 @ 6:37 AM

Toronto Mike

Maybe that's because he writing's been on the wall for some time and they've already run those stories. I dunno, it seems pretty damn significant from here.

June 5, 2008 @ 9:17 AM

Jason | GetYourOJ.com

america? enlighted future? in the same sentence?

June 5, 2008 @ 11:26 AM

Toronto Mike

True, but that sentence was about a fictional television show starring a Canadian. :-)

June 5, 2008 @ 11:28 AM

Argie

Too bad Obama isn’t qualified to be president. All of you wusses will see what happens to America if he’s elected prez - staggering debt, over taxed citizens and terrorist attacks in the US.

June 5, 2008 @ 1:51 PM

Toronto Mike

Argie, after 8 years of Dubya, are you really questioning Obama's qualifications?

June 5, 2008 @ 2:29 PM

Argie

Of course. As I’ve said before I don’t think Bush has done a bad job. I still maintain the invasion of Iraq was a good idea.

We shouldn’t blame Bush for the economy woes south of the border. The entire world economy has been in flux for sometime – caused mostly by the increased demand for oil by China & India. The Iraq war or Bush for that matter has little or no effect on the world’s economy. Just think of how bad things were after 9/11. Can you imagine if the US were attacked several times afterwards what the world economy would be doing??? The Iraq war actually drew the would-be terrorists to Iraq and in most cases they simply blew themselves up – not a bad thing at all.

Since 9/11 no attacks on North American soil - I’m happy.

June 5, 2008 @ 2:55 PM

elvis

Amazingly, people like Argie do exist! I thought they were only fictional!

June 6, 2008 @ 9:51 AM