Promoting my $75 HNIC Pledge

cbcSometimes things happen in the comments and people miss it. Most visitors pop in, scan the latest entries and skedaddle. Even though I link to an RSS feed for comments in the top right corner, I see only a handful have subscribed.

Four days ago I wrote about the Hockey Night in Canada theme song getting dropped by the CBC. You can hear our second national anthem on that entry. Since I wrote that, it's become official. Kathleen broke the news in the comments of that entry and I made a pledge that I'm going to revisit right now.

From everything I've read, the CBC is complaining that the cost of airing the Hockey Night in Canada theme song is rising $75 a shot. For the first two years of the agreement, the terms were to be "virtually identical to those that have existed for the past decade." Then, after "the first two years of a new agreement, the rates would rise about 15 per cent". All this bullshit and aggrevation is over an extra $75.

Scott Moore, executive director of CBC Sports, prick up your friggin' ears. I'm not a wealthy man, but I promise to pay the CBC $75 every Saturday night so that my kids can hear that song open our Saturday night ritual. Yes, it means that much to me. I will cover the increase.

Please contact me to arrange payment. I'm very, very serious about this offer. I can't believe this is actually happening and I despise your idea to have a contest to replace a song that's so beloved by Canadians from coast to coast to coast.

It will be the best $75 I've ever spent.

CQ

That might add up to: $75*2 (twice a night - opening AND closing of show) times 38 weeks = $5,700 per season.

June 8, 2008 @ 11:18 AM

CQ

forgot to carry the Playoffs...
$75*2 times 28 regular season weeks = $4,200
plus $75*2 times 10 playoff weeks * 4 nights each = $6,000, excluding any split broadcasts.

D*mn, I live on about that;)

June 8, 2008 @ 11:33 AM

Mississauga Mike

I like the idea you're proposing, if enough people hear about this more and more people will hopefully contribute to the cause. I didn't realize it was such a petty issue as well!

300 Torontonian's or Canadian's to donate would mean it'd be down to $20 for the whole season. I'm assuming there will be more than 300 people annoyed at the lack of HNIC theme next season.

June 8, 2008 @ 1:08 PM

Toronto Mike

Like Mississauga Mike says, we'll raise the dough. We can get this done. Last I checked, the CBC belonged to all of us and if their mandate is to promote Canadian culture and unite this nation they'd best start listening to us tax payers.

I hear they're giving away $100,000 in their stupid contest. Here's an idea, throw that money in the HNIC pot and let us raise the rest.

I'm a CBC booster and readers know I don't bash the CBC for sport, but this is just stupid. It sounds like a personal vendetta - a "screw you" to the song rights holders because of that lawsuit.

Here in Canada we're heavily taxed, we endure long, cold, snowy winters and, here in Toronto at least, we spend the entire winter watching and rooting for a team that hasn't won in over 40 years. Let us have our damn song.

I don't get it. Even at $6,00 per season or whatever the final tally is, I'd find a way.

June 8, 2008 @ 1:16 PM

Toronto Mike

Shouldn't Gord Kirke be out there finding us a new GM?

Maybe I won't have to cough up all these $75 cheques.

Keep us posted, Kathleen. Let's make a deal!

June 9, 2008 @ 11:40 AM

Jason | GetYourOJ.com

re: RSS

I'm not that lazy, I can type mikeboon.com

June 9, 2008 @ 1:24 PM

general borschevsky

Hear hear! 100 Grand for one of the most sacred and important pieces of our culture? Those in charge of "safeguarding our identity" as Canadians should be fired for even suggesting it's value is so low. Total garbage. If CBC executives can't reasonably appreciate Canadian culture, then they're obviously not qualified to be there.

June 9, 2008 @ 1:29 PM

Mississauga Mike

Sure you'll have a post about it, but CTV snuck in and obtained the rights hahaha. Oh my.

June 9, 2008 @ 5:43 PM

Toronto Mike

Yeah, I just heard. I'll write about it soon...

June 9, 2008 @ 6:24 PM