One Shouldn't Sit During a Concert

Music A colleague was just telling me about her night at the Alicia Keys concert. Alicia Keys played the ACC and I'm told it was a fun show. My colleague was particularly pleased that she was able to sit for 90% of the concert.

I don't know how many concerts I've attended, maybe 40 or so, and I stood for all of 'em. In fact, I've always seen standing as the sign of a good show. Heck, at the soccer game on Saturday we stood the entire 90 minutes. Although I think all my concerts have been guitar-based acts, and maybe Alicia Keys falls into a different category, I like to think that had I attended the Keys show last night, I'd have stood throughout.

Does anyone out there sit during rock or pop concerts?

elvis

If you wanna sit, buy the DVD and watch it at home!

June 6, 2008 @ 9:36 AM

LEW

If I had Grey seats at the top of the old MLG. You had to sit or you would feel like jumping after about half an hour, especially once the smoke rose to the top!

June 6, 2008 @ 10:26 AM

Jason | GetYourOJ.com

why would you stand for a whole alicia keys concerts? would you stand during an elton john piano balllad?

June 6, 2008 @ 10:37 AM

Annemarie

Mike, you & I have discussed this before and as said, although I get the point of standing for the entire duration of any concert, I'd rather not pay the price (aches & pains) and yes, depending on the venue & artist, there are some you just don't stand for (i.e. Tori Amos).

June 6, 2008 @ 10:38 AM

Toronto Mike

Is this a re-run? Have I made my stand-at-concerts judgement before? ...checking archives...

Found it!

June 6, 2008 @ 10:54 AM

Jill

Totally depends on the artist, forum, and your passion for the artist you are seeing. I saw Brian May open for Guns and Roses and was on my feet the whole time. Most of the other concert goers were there mainly for G & R but my preference was to see Brian and his guitar do their magic. The other attendees I noticed chose to sit it out during his peformances. Not me. I have seen Supertramp and alot of their set was mellow so I chilled out at the Molson Amphitheatre and felt just as engaged as if I had been standing.

June 6, 2008 @ 11:33 AM

James Edgar

I HATE siting. I took my wife to see Sheryl crow that other night and most of the show sat becuase everybody else was. It was not fun. I'm not a huge fan but she's Ok nad we could have stood and danced sort of. It was a much better show for me the last 5 or 6 songs when everybody stood.

Elvis is right if you want to sit...stay home.

June 6, 2008 @ 11:35 AM

Toronto Mike

Ok Jill, but was anyone sitting at the Amp for GNR?

No way...

The exception for the "stand at concerts rule" is opening bands. It's the headliner you have to stand for.

June 6, 2008 @ 11:36 AM

elvis

Who wouldn't stand for the Bitch is Back?! Of course you stand for Elton John!

June 6, 2008 @ 12:02 PM

Jason | GetYourOJ.com

wow this topic has really been beaten to death. no, sorry, you don't have to stand for alicia keys. would you stand for an entire r.e.m. concert too? i.e. when they play "nightswimming". How about a Cure concert? Ya gonna stand all night for The Cure? You might get a few weird looks...

despite what you think, no such "rule" exists"

..tune into 640 or 1010 where i am sure they will take this topic or a similar on and flog it to death this afternoon..

caller? what do you think?

June 6, 2008 @ 1:30 PM

Toronto Mike

Damn right I'd stand for R.E.M. Even during "Nightswimming". C'mon do we sit b/c Pearl Jam is going into "Indifference" or "Black"? Hell no.

I'll see if Stafford can't ask his listeners this question, just to piss off Jason.

June 6, 2008 @ 1:47 PM

The_Voice

I attended Live 8 a ways back... I stood for the Tragically Hip, Barenaked Ladies, and a few others, but I sat through Jann Arden, Blue Rodeo and a few.

I like the OPTION of sitting, as sometimes you have a bad opening band to get through, or you don't feel well, or whatever, but I stand through most shows fo' sho'.

June 6, 2008 @ 1:56 PM

Ajax Mike

When I saw BNL (really the only BIG concert I've been to), we stood for most of it, but sat through the slower songs that seemed to be deliberately inserted as a non-intermission intermission. This was at the ACC, on their Maroon tour.

June 6, 2008 @ 4:38 PM

Coach Carter

Standing room only in my books

June 6, 2008 @ 9:35 PM