The Alpha-Getti Gobbler Ad

rewindBlogging is one of the cooler hobbies. If there's something I can't find anywhere, I just need to write about it and eventually someone who can help me will find my entry and make my day. This happened with the Saint Ralph soundtrack, when I couldn't find or buy Gord Downie's version of "Hallelujah", and it's happened again.

In April 2007 I found myself blurting out "you're the Alpha-Getti Gobbler" to my daughter. That sparked a memory of an Alpha-Getti commercial I saw numerous times as a kid. I hit the web searching for the ad or at least a screen cap and I came up empty. That's when I wrote this entry about the Alpha-Getti Gobbler, now #1 when you Google this elusive beast.

Over a year passed until Ryan Barnett left a comment on that entry. He was Googling the ad and found my entry. Ryan Barnett was one of the three children in the Alpha-Getti Gobbler ad and he had the advertisement on DVD. That sparked this Gobbler alert from earlier today.

Not only has Ryan agreed to an interview, but he's already ripped the ad to a digital file that he's kindly emailed to me. I promptly uploaded the vid to my YouTube account, and now, without further ado, I'm sharing the hold grail of canned pasta ads. Here's the Alpha-Getti Gobbler.

Related entries:

Toronto Mike

Tomorrow I'm posting Ryan Barnett's memories of the shoot which includes some great detail about the Gobbler himself.

Here are screen caps from the ad: http://flickr.com/photos/mikeboon/sets/72157604938847398/

May 7, 2008 @ 8:37 PM

Mark Leslie

And this (among other great things), is why you're my hero, Mike!

At long last, we can PROVE to people that we're not crazy, that the commercial was real!

Congrats!

May 7, 2008 @ 8:41 PM

felix

I agree, this is a pretty damn cool thing to witness. I'm sure your ability to optimize yourself in Google searches may play a little bit of a part in your success in these endeavours. That's not a knock against you though, dude. If you've got the know-how, use it to your advantage. Kudos!

May 7, 2008 @ 9:55 PM

Andrew

I remember the ad. I also remember the worst voice over dub in the history of television. Wow was that bad.

Great job getting the video.

May 8, 2008 @ 8:44 AM

Mike

Barnett, I'm going to kill you at poker next weekend.

May 8, 2008 @ 3:54 PM

doug1121

Thanks for finding this! I'm not from Canada but back when I was a kid my non-cable-ready TV used to pick up CHannel 10 from Toronto. I'd have my elementary school friends over for lunch just so we could laugh at this goofy commerical. Favorite part is the bad dub of the little kid w/ the almost-British accent.

December 14, 2008 @ 1:48 PM

James

I was just looking at something on the internet and I'm not sure why but the alphaghetti gobbler crept into my brain...did a search and found your blog. Amazing how this stuff sticks with you.

Have you ever gone hunting with a bowl and spoon?

Kudos.