Remember When SNL Was Funny?

TVI remember when Saturday Night Live was funny. Guys like Adam Sandler, David Spade, Phil Hartman, Mike Myers, Norm Macdonald, Chris Farley and Dana Carvey were always good for a few laughs on a Saturday night. Then, when those guys moved on, there were funny dudes like Darrell Hammond, Cheri Oteri, Jim Breuer, Colin Quinn, Tracy Morgan and Will Ferrell. Take my word for it, SNL could be comedic.

I read a couple of items online about a pasting Hillary Clinton got on the SNL opening skit last night, and I just got around to checking it out. In the Hillary ~ Obama battle, I'm an Obama supporter, but that doesn't mean I enjoyed Amy Poehler's "Message to America".

I just didn't find it the least bit funny. Does anyone find this funny?

James

I'm with ya on this one Mike..
I remember I always used to watch SNL
from the time i was 9 upto.. 16.. 17..

There were always "Stand out" guys and gals
in every year to make it worth while.
lol, I still laugh when i think about Will Ferrell
doing Snl's Celeb Jeopardy..
but now..
blah.

I don't think i'd know a single current cast member
if they walked by me on the street.
frankly, i wouldn't care to either.

and while were on the down side of snl..
and maybe i'm alone in this view point..
but -why- !
why would NBC give Fallon (falon..? who cares)
Conan's spot when he (Conan) moves to the Tonight show ?

can't stand him.
They should have made this years "Last Comic Standing"
final prize, the spot as replacement host.
-that- would rule !

anyways.. i'm off topic now,
but good entry, and good blog.

May 11, 2008 @ 11:22 PM

A.R.

That was so unfunny that I would suspect the laughter was edited in.

May 11, 2008 @ 11:44 PM

Argie

Oh Mike – an Obama supporter. What a surprise!

May 12, 2008 @ 10:09 AM

Annemarie

Amy Poehler has said herself that she isn't a good impressionist.

I still watch SNL as I have since high school. Sure, some cast members and skits may not be as funny as others, but that doesn't mean the show is void of humour as a whole. It's a subjective thing really.

May 12, 2008 @ 10:35 AM

Toronto Mike

Even if Amy Poehler was the best impressionist this side of Rich Little that bit was completely void of humour.

And Argie, don't worry. I don't get a vote.

May 12, 2008 @ 10:36 AM

Andrew

Argie,

Better Obama than Clinton.

SNL hasn't been good in many years. I think the problem is the writing team thinks they are funny when they aren't. It is like when really good comedians do movies that suck. Chris Rock anyone? They guy is a brilliant stand up but his movies are terrible.

Bottom line, SNL needs a whole new writing team. It is like how Bruce Vilanch still gets work. Comedy isn't about how smart you are, it is about being freakin' funny.

May 12, 2008 @ 10:40 AM

Jill

I prefer MADtv over SNL. Watching any skit with Stuart always makes me laugh.

May 12, 2008 @ 4:25 PM

Annemarie

I'm a loyal fan of MADtv too and often find it funnier and cruder than SNL. I have a co-worker who reminds me of Stuart! "Look what I can do!" One of my favourite skits. Too bad Mo Collins is gone.

May 13, 2008 @ 10:11 AM

Tom Warden

SNL isn't funny anymore because the so called writers, don't know how to laugh at themselves.
They only laugh at someone else. I will never watch SNL again.

November 14, 2016 @ 4:13 PM