A Child's First F Bomb

swearsJames had something he wanted to tell me tonight. "I know what the f-word is," he said.

For a moment I thought maybe he knew another f-word. He's only six years old and still in senior kindergarten, so how could he know the f-word? I asked him what the f-word was.

That's when, in his sweet, innocent voice, he dropped the f-bomb. A kid in his class unveiled the word to a group of them today, and James knew he possessed a word with power.

I nodded my head, confirmed that he had indeed stumbled upon the f-word, and left him with one final order. "Don't use that word."

I know, it's weak, but it was the best I had. I didn't see this coming.

james081602

Jill

This is only the beginning. There are many wonderful things they learn when they go to school. My daughters vocabulary has greatly expanded and she is much more knowledgeable of colourful words since she began school.

May 21, 2008 @ 8:22 PM

Lori

I teach kindergarten and you would be surprised the words i hear each day! The latest in my class has been look i can make a word with just two letters---FU!(He actually said that but had the letters in the wrong order! LOL:)

May 21, 2008 @ 9:44 PM

dale

Your kid(s) are growing up & learning different things as they grow up. WE all went throught the same thing except not at this young age but TIMES now are different & children are more accessible to this than we were years ago.
You have many challenges ahead & knowing what the F word is, is the least of your worries.

May 21, 2008 @ 10:58 PM

Stephanie Wilkinson

I can still remember standing in my kitchen when i was in grade one and asking both my parents, whose backs were to me at the moment, asking what f-c- was. Not knowing really what it was their obvious record breaking double 180 degree turn in complete unison must have signaled I'd stumbled upon something. The kid who told me to ask my parents was Sean who was in grade 3. I'm not sure times really do change...

May 22, 2008 @ 7:07 AM

howard

Hey Boon.
What the F**k is the F-word?
Wait until they drop the C-word.
We were skiing this past winter and all four of us were on a chair lift when beneath us written in the snow was the C-word in all it's glory. Spencer saw it first and asked us,"What's a C**t?"
We all gasped, then laughed (My 13 year old knew it) and then we tried to ignore it.
I wanted to say, "Well honey that's an interesting question and hard to answer, but you'll know one when you meet her!"

May 22, 2008 @ 10:46 AM

GP

Perhaps it's more to do with the crummy area I grew up in, but by age six I was using that and other colourful words on a daily basis - at school only, of course.

May 22, 2008 @ 8:32 PM

The_Voice

Just be thankful that he learned it the same way we all did: From kids in the class, rather than tv, video games, movies, or anything else.

Seriously, that's a pretty normal thing. If you're lucky, he'll end up like me... unable to say the word through years of self conditioning due to thoughts that I talked in my sleep and didn't want to risk saying such things.

May 22, 2008 @ 11:43 PM

brian

i kind of forgot about it, but last year, when my son was 5, he asked what "the finger" was (while holding it up) and said he knew it was bad. we just told him it was mean and wrong to do and he stopped after a few days. at least he hasn't said it yet.

May 23, 2008 @ 10:28 PM