Taxes: 2008 Edition

money"Certainty? In this world nothing is certain but death and taxes". ~ Benny Franklin

For years I kicked it old school with my taxes. I filled in the forms by hand and mailed them to Revenue Canada. At some point I discovered that after I filled in the forms by hand I could enter the info over the telephone and get back my refund faster. I did that until a few years ago when started buying tax software to do my taxes online before I uploaded the .tax file to Revenue Canada via the interweb.

That's what I did this afternoon. I coughed up $20 to QuickTax and did my 2007 taxes online. I am 33 years old and I've never dreaded tax time because every year I get a refund. Now that we're a single income family, my refund has never been higher, so I don't mind spending a couple of extra bucks for e-help.

I figure I've been filing taxes for about 18 years now. I've gone from mailing my taxes to using telefile to using efile. How do you file your taxes and do you do them yourself?

James Edgar

Quicktax ,efile. I just got my refund Friday and put a deposit on a Suzuki Bandit 1200 yesterday. I file ASAP when I get a refund ,if I screw up and owe I wait until near the deadline.

April 6, 2008 @ 9:26 PM

Ajax Mike

I've used Quicktax or it's ancestors from day 1. The only time I've ever used a pencil and paper was in a high-school business credit. However, I've always printed out the forms and mailed them in. This was to be the first year I tried to Netfile, but because my banking info changed it's going by Canada Post once more.

April 6, 2008 @ 9:38 PM

Daniel

I use Quicktax Web and avoid buying/installing the actual piece of software.

I netfiled two returns (mine and my roommates) this year and we got our returns in about 2 weeks.

Plus, some banks will give you a discount on Quicktax Web if you use their online banking service. This is true at least for Royal Bank and President's Choice Financial.

April 6, 2008 @ 10:27 PM

Kirsten

I use TurboTax, which I am assuming is the US version of Quicktax. I figure for the $49.99 it costs me to have it direct deposited and have them figure out all the calculations, I don't mind. And it really didn't take too long this year. I filed on Feb 18th, and we got the refund after the Injured Spouse investigation on Friday.

April 7, 2008 @ 4:49 AM

Toronto Mike

Maybe I should get a Suzuki Bandit 1200 too... That's a laptop, right? ;-)

April 7, 2008 @ 8:53 AM

james edgar

I'm a little excited and telling everyone whether they care or not. :) It's not a laptop! Far more exciting than that!1200cc's of Motorcycle Fun.

April 7, 2008 @ 10:43 AM

james edgar

Actually I don't pay for laptops I get used ones given to me all the time. crap one's but hey...

April 7, 2008 @ 10:56 AM

Toronto Mike

I didn't pay for my laptop either... work paid for it.

1200cc's... that's a lot of blood.

April 7, 2008 @ 11:00 AM

james edgar

Let's hope not!

April 7, 2008 @ 11:35 AM

felix

Yeah, I used TurboTax and e-filed too, got a free copy (and a t-shirt) for being a beta tester.

Who says being a computer geek doesn't pay off?

April 7, 2008 @ 10:40 PM

The_Voice

Paper and mail it in. Give them all the necessary papers and keep copies. By giving them everything it becomes THEIR problem, and not mine :)

April 9, 2008 @ 11:31 AM