Jonas Brothers

musicMy three year old daughter was just singing a song I had never heard before, so I asked her what it was. She told me it was the Jonas Brothers and she loved the Jonas Brothers. James chimed in that the Jonas Brothers stunk. I was left confused.

I have never heard of the Jonas Brothers and I can't believe I'm clueless about my daughter's favourite band. Luckily for me, Wikipedia is here to rescue me, and I just learnt a great deal about the Jonas Brothers.

The Jonas Brothers is an American pop-rock band from Wyckoff, New Jersey made up of three brothers, Joe, Nick, and Kevin Jonas. All three brothers attended Eastern Christian High School in North Haledon, New Jersey. They have released two albums - It's About Time in 2006, and Jonas Brothers in 2007, and will release A Little Bit Longer in 2008.

What the heck did parents do before the Internet? Was there a top secret parents network they'd call to find out about the latest fads? The Jonas Brothers is a typical non-threatening boy band that three year olds would love, so I'm not concerned, but without the web I'd still be clueless as to what a Jonas Brother is all about.

And thanks to YouTube, I can quickly hear their wares for myself. They're awful! Listen for yourself.

I'm sure she'll outgrow this crud soon enough, and in the meantime, I'll keep forcing The White Stripes and Neil Young down her throat. That always works!

Roshan

Like lol, ur daughter is so cute. But her taste in music.....yuck. I haven't listened to the song but I'm gonna take your word for it that they stink. Make her listen to The Hip & Pearl Jam.

April 30, 2008 @ 10:02 PM

April

Whatever!! The Jonas Brothers are THE best band on the entire planet!! You just think that cuz your old and stuff....no offense :)

April 30, 2008 @ 11:11 PM

felix

No, they really are bad. No foolin'!

April 30, 2008 @ 11:53 PM

Moimeme

Oh, please. She is THREE!

My near 5yo loves them as well...and they are probably not as bad as you think. I really like them! But it is probably a male vs. female reaction.

They are pretty much just kids, but they write their songs, play their instruments, and are inspiring lots of little ones to do the same.

They also describe their concerts as an "introduction to a rock show" for their young fans, and they namecheck a lot of "reputable" acts in the process. I didn't find it too artificial and they sneak in little homages to Carole King, Prince, Elvis Costello...they do a really good show, rather old fashioned pop rock. So cute.

Hating them (or anything) out of hand without hearing more of their stuff is musically ignorant.

But you are a man right? There is probably no chance you will accept this as true. LOL. So goes the world.

May 1, 2008 @ 12:05 AM

Mike (Buffalo Boy)

Its the New Kids on The Block with guitars....Its the worst concept in the world, no better than Sum 41 or Good Charlotte

May 1, 2008 @ 7:20 AM

howard

They opened for Mily Cyrus on her concert tour.
Spencer thinks they're cute.
I refer to them as the Crapas Brothers.
2 are fairly talented but the chubby one who plays guitar is going to end up holding up a Macs for crack money.

May 1, 2008 @ 9:02 AM

Bree

Oh Howard - you had me spitting out my morning coffee.

One good thing that could come of this...The Jonas Brothers speak frequently about saving themselves for marriage. Your daughter's favorite band preaching abstinence can kind of, sort of, maybe, mask the horrible-ness that is their music. Perhaps.

May 1, 2008 @ 9:24 AM

Toronto Mike

Here's what happened... Michelle's friend's older sister introduced her to Hannah Montana. She essentially graduated from TreehouseTV to The Family Channel.

The Family Channel plays the odd video, including The Jonas Brothers. They also play High School Musical 11 times each day.

I'll let Michelle go through her Jonas Brothers phase, but in a couple of years I'll put my foot down and introduce her to 1991.

May 1, 2008 @ 9:49 AM

Alison

My 6 year old is also a fan...she also like to rock it out to all her Dad's fav's too...not many 6 year old girls can name all the band members of Rush...not that that is a good thing....

The Jonas Bros were on Oprah this week...apparently they were the most requested guest this year...

May 1, 2008 @ 1:00 PM

Jill

The Jonas Brothers are owned by Disney just like Miley Cyrus. Oprah is on ABC which is owned by Disney. They are a corporate gimmick.

May 1, 2008 @ 9:35 PM