David Cook: Cover Artist Extraordinaire

idolMy wife doesn't watch sports, so that makes American Idol the one show the entire family watches together. It's not music I would ever listen to outside of the competition, but for some reason this is the only reality show I enjoy. Maybe it's the singing, maybe it's Simon, I dunno... but for some reason I follow American Idol.

This season, I have a favourite competitor. Week after week David Cook gives the best performance. He has a knack for putting the best spin on songs, even if the arrangement isn't a David Cook original. Last week he covered Our Lady Peace and earlier in the competition he covered Chris Cornell's awesome cover of Michael Jackson's "Billie Jean". Last night, he made a Mariah Carey song sound pretty damn cool.

You've never heard Mariah Carey's "Always Be My Baby" sound like this.

Annemarie

*drool* MARRY ME DAVID!!!

April 16, 2008 @ 12:27 PM

Jill

I found it ironic that the judges are always warning the competitors to not sing the songs of divas and thendevote a whole show to the songs of a diva. Some of last night was so painful. David brought such a nice originality to a song in which I am not a fan of. He has got to win!!

April 16, 2008 @ 12:51 PM

Daniel

Living with Jordan ensures my (un)healthy dosage of reality TV crap. I'm starting to develop a habit - last weekend I watched the entire season of "That's Amore" on MTV Canada.

April 16, 2008 @ 2:03 PM

nyla

It's David's arrangement.

April 16, 2008 @ 2:04 PM

Toronto Mike

Daniel, haven't you heard? She prefers Jordie now to Jordan.

April 16, 2008 @ 3:33 PM

The_Voice

My brother was enjoying it, and my mother did not know what to make of it. I kept cracking up laughing, not because it was bad, but because of how extremely DIFFERENT (yet the same) it was with regards to the original.

April 17, 2008 @ 10:58 AM

Jessica

When he sang that I fell in love with him(lame isn't it? he's 14 years older than me and I love him.). People in Toronto are lucky that David came. I used to live there and I miss it soooo bad. When I heard that my favorite singer would be performing at my hometown and I wouldn't be there, I was crushed :(
David, PLEASE COME TO EDMONTON!!!!

August 1, 2008 @ 8:05 PM