Bike Restoration Project

bikeWhen life gives you lemons, make lemonade. I'm going to start riding my bicycle again.

I made this decision a few weeks ago, and I've done a lot of soul searching as to whether I restore my old bike or buy a new one. My brain says I should buy a new one and my heart says I should fix up my existing bike that's been collecting dust and rust for about eight years. As usual with me, the heart wins and I'm going to bike this summer with ol' faithful.

A little about my bike...

I named him Cody, because when I bought him in 1990, that's what the folks at the now defunct Bloor Cycle called the model. It was $400, which seemed like an awful lot of dough to this teenager. My buddy Ed and I were into skateboarding, and periodically I'd throw a skateboard or surf sticker on the frame. From 1990 through 1999 I rode that bike like crazy. It got me to and from work, to and from high school and university, all over the city. I lived on my bike until I moved out of a basement apartment on Clendenan and into a high rise. That's when Cody went into storage.

As mentioned, Cody hasn't been ridden in about eight years. He's rusty, dusty and all but forgotten. I know I should buy a new bicycle but I feel like this is about more than gears and brakes. This is about the bike I loved, the bike I've owned for almost twenty years.

So yes, I'm going to restore him. I started today by buying a new front tire. Piece by piece, I'll get him back on the road. I'm thirsty for lemonade.

Here are shots of Cody taken last night after I got him out of storage.

Bike P4187278 Bike

Mike (Buffalo Boy)

Yikes!
Mike, take it from me, I ride as well, take some money and invest in a good high quality bike, here are some suggestions if you care to check them out:
The Gary Fisher line is a very good line, look mid to upper line like the utopia and you won't regret it.
There are few things that you get what you pay for and a bike is one of the things that you do get what you pay for in performance and components. Let me know what you do....

April 19, 2008 @ 3:09 PM

Toronto Mike

My brain agrees with you.

But it's not just about biking, it's about the restoration process... riding this particular bike.

Or am I just a hopeless romantic?

April 19, 2008 @ 3:13 PM

Mike (Buffalo Boy)

Hopeless romantic, I was like u until that old bike you speak of, I went over top of the handle bars of mine on a busy street and surfed pavement on my face.....quality bike with new parts, you will learn to love it as much as Cody, Say thanks for the memories and invest in the knowledge that you have something safe under your ass.....My old bike, the spokes popped and I went face first. luckily I had a helmet on otherwise Buffaloboymike would have been a ghost at best

April 19, 2008 @ 4:12 PM

Mike (Buffalo Boy)

Although I do see your point and I would otherwise agree, its not the bike its whats inside your heart to quote You Me and Dupree. But I think even Lance would say if you arent riding a good quality bike, you are not playing it safe.

April 19, 2008 @ 4:15 PM

Toronto Mike

You might be the first guy ever to quote You Me and Dupree.

And yes, that sounds like something Lance Chomyc might say.

April 19, 2008 @ 4:19 PM

Annemarie

Good luck Mike. Watch that knee.

April 19, 2008 @ 5:56 PM

Kara

There is a great little place at Dundas and Clendenan that does spring tune up on your bike for like 3o buxs....they will change the chain and give the old guy a thorough tuning.....just for your info.

April 20, 2008 @ 10:52 AM

A.R.

Fortunately you didn't buy a department store/Canadian Tire bicycle back then.

April 20, 2008 @ 11:35 PM