Beyond Verdana

notepadI've been slapping pages on the web for a decade now. A long time ago, after a great deal of experimentation, I concluded that Verdana was your best bet when designing a commercial site, particularly if that site was for a software vendor.

Before we all had to have blogs, we had personal sites. When this site was younger, I was always changing the font family. I remember when I first switched the markup over to an external CSS file and feeling the power you get when a single edit in a single file changed the font on every page. I abused that power by trying Arial, Courier, Times New Roman, Georgia, and yes, Verdana.

A few years ago I decided I'd stick with Verdana. It always seemed the safest. Most people had it installed on their computer, for starters, and it was highly legible. Verdana was my default font and I was done messing with it. Until today, that is.

The vast majority of you are reading this in Georgia. I'm going to ride Georgia through the long weekend. Let me know what you think in the comments.

Scott

I fancy myself as more of a comic sans man myself.

March 20, 2008 @ 8:47 PM

Ajax Mike

I'm gonna have to vote negative on Georgia. I especially don't like the look of the numbers. 0-2 look squat next to the text, while 3-5, 7 & 9 drop lower and 6 & 8 pop up. It just looks too inconsistant for my eyes I guess.

March 20, 2008 @ 11:47 PM

felix

I've grown quite fond of Tahoma in recent years, I must say.

But yeah, I'm with Ajax Mike on Georgia. Unless the devil's going down there, then I'm good.

March 21, 2008 @ 12:11 AM

Toronto Mike

For the heck of it, I'm now test driving Tahoma - and if you don't have Tahoma on your computer, it goes to Verdana and then the generic sans-serif.

March 21, 2008 @ 11:17 AM

Alison

Liking the Tahoma, one of my personal favs. I thought the kearning on the Georgia looked weird...The Verdana was good too...nice and easy to read. I'm a fan of clean typography...the fancier is not the better as far as I'm concerned...

March 21, 2008 @ 7:00 PM

Roshan

Verdana was better.

March 23, 2008 @ 12:32 AM

Toronto Mike

Hey Roshan, by the time you wrote your comment I was already back to Verdana. ;-)

March 23, 2008 @ 8:39 AM