Sportsline with Mark Hebscher and Jim Tatti

tvI got an email this morning from Mark Hebscher. Hebsy, along with Jim Tatti, hosted Sportsline on Global TV every weeknight at 11:30 from 1985 untill Hebscher left in 1995. I was a Sportsline fanatic.

In the late 80s and early 90s, Sportsline was like no other sports highlight show on television. First and foremost, it was funny. They didn't take sports too seriously and they had fun presenting the highlights. The Hebsy Awards were always a treat.

My brothers and I used to watch Sportsline together and that's where we caught up on what was happening in the NHL, MLB, NFL, NBA or whatever. There was no World Wide Web to tap into, there was no Sportsnet or The Score, and TSN's Sportsdesk just wasn't as much fun as Hebsy and Tatti. When Hebscher left in 1995, I too said goodbye. Last year, Global axed the entire sports department, including Jim Tatti.

If you're in your 30s and you grew up in the GTA loving sports, you were likely as big a fan of this show as I was. I miss it.

felix

Two words.

Yes, guy!

February 18, 2008 @ 9:35 PM

Anne Atkins

Where is Jim Tatti working now? My husband Jeff and I are not sports fans, but we loved Sportsline, Jim Tatti made sports interesting.

February 29, 2008 @ 6:59 PM

wade humber

Tatti is on xm radio now i believe...

March 1, 2008 @ 2:50 PM

scott warwick

Two more words: Yes Ralphie!

April 4, 2008 @ 12:43 AM

john

Holy crap it's been years since I've actually thought of that show...wow. Miss those hebsie awards. In the early 90's it always ended with some catchy tune but I never came across it again. Would you know what it was?

April 15, 2008 @ 11:48 PM

J.P. Fox

Top shelf where they keep the peanut butter. Hebscher and Sportslline a beauty.

November 10, 2008 @ 6:40 AM

James

John, I too loved the closing themes from Sportsline. The two primary ones were: "Together in Electric Dreams Extended Mix" from the movie Electric Dreams and "The Escape" from the movie The Electric Horseman. Everytime I hear either one I see a slow-motion clip of someone jumping over the outfield fence while making a snowcone catch at Exhibition Stadium. I don't think that I'm the only one that has the same reaction. They didn't play the music as much after Hebscher left I seem to recall, I guess he took his LPs with him.

April 19, 2009 @ 5:43 AM

Chris

Was just surfing the MLS website and found a property that was being sold by Jim Tatti. Upon further investigation found out that he has entered the real estate market as a broker. Best of luck, Jim.

May 6, 2009 @ 11:57 PM

Charles

Hey everyone!

Just wanted you all to know that Jim Tatti can be heard on the NHL Network and is also a full time Real Estate Agent with RE/MAX! Check out www.jimtatti.com. He still makes life interesting no matter what he does!

May 17, 2009 @ 6:16 PM

Chad

I LOVED the show! Stayed up way too late (when I should have been sleeping or studying) to watch those guys. When Hebsie left, it went down hill a bit, but was still pretty good. I loved the music Hebsie used to use to coordinate the highlights with. The nicknames were Chris Berman-like and I loved them too. Bert "behomebly eleven", Joe "kinda" reekie "in here", Darryl Sutter "brother of Brian - son of Flicka"...just loved them both.. Yes Guy!!!!!!!

June 1, 2009 @ 11:59 AM

Drew J. Marshall

It's the weird, the wacky and the wild from the world of sports....it's the Hebsy's ......YES GUY!!

July 17, 2009 @ 5:01 PM

Don

Speaking of music for Sportsline, would anyone know the catchy guitar tracks that would play mid-show as it faded to commercial? I'm thinking of the mid 80s timeframe.

May 2, 2010 @ 8:52 AM

MehYam

I remember for guitar tracks they'd use Joe Satriani sometimes, and the Just Like Heaven intro (The Cure).

Man I miss this show! These guys were trailblazers, I remember it seemed like other sports shows started to follow this trend. Not sure if they invented that style, but they were one of the first, and best.

September 6, 2010 @ 3:36 AM

Glen

SPORTSLINE IS BACK!!!! 7pm on CHCH

October 7, 2010 @ 10:39 PM

Leigh

Wow great memories. I was in grade school and I used to record the show every night and watch it in the morning when i was getting ready for school. Hebsy was fantastic. My favourite lines were "He was all over it like a fat kid on a smart" and "top shelf where dad keeps the girly magazines". Great memories and what a show. They did make sports fun and exciting. Back in those days the Blue Jays were top of their game and we had something to cheer and for every summer.

April 6, 2012 @ 12:02 AM

walter

In describing some local team play I'll never forget "It may be Sault to you, but it's Chicoutimi" Brilliant.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane. Loved the show. I had forgotten "Yes, Guy" and bringing that all back now made my day. Electric Dreams music always worked.

One thing....closing credit of Sportsline to video of Nolan Ryan's 7th record shutout taken out on the 1991? Blue Jays to the tune "Glory Days" You can't beat that.

Back when sport was romanticized, celebrated, and just plain fun.

Thanks Jim and Mark

April 8, 2012 @ 11:39 PM

Doug

"Just under the bar, where you normally find John Kordic"

June 4, 2014 @ 1:47 AM

gecarragher

I've got the pleasure of having Jim as an instructor for post-graduate sports journalism school. He's quite the guy! Learning the ways of Yes, Guy at least once a week

June 20, 2014 @ 5:34 AM

The Graduate Kid

---- I watched Sportsline starting from partway through my 2nd year at SUNY Brockport- my graduation (November 1990- May 1994.) We did not get cable tv in the rooms back then and many of us that wanted a sports show used Sportsline.
---- I looked up the above titles and they did not sound familiar. The one's I'd like most are the starting and ending credits. They were usually the same, but when time permitted, I recall, a different and longer title for the end. Any help for the songs from those years would be appreciated. I will be making a cd of sports themes songs and would like to include the songs for these credits.

September 26, 2015 @ 10:47 PM

Woodyseahaw

I didn't recognize Electric Dreams much, either, but I luckily found The Chase by Giorgio Moroder! Definitely one they used. I always remembered Is There Something I Should Know by Duran Duran being used in the show. Two beauty's Jim and Hebsy were. A great team!! Hated to see Mark leave. Watched the new incarnation on CH for years, until it was unceremoniously taken off the air with most of the rest of local CH programming. It was modelled after ESPNs PTI.

October 15, 2017 @ 10:22 PM

Anonymous

Watching Dan and Jay, and I was reminded how these guys are a pour man's version of Tati and Hebsher. The tune I think of the most when remembering sportsline is "Just like heaven" from the Cure.

October 17, 2017 @ 12:54 AM

The Voice of Reason

Tatti and Hebsy's chemistry cannot be duplicated. TSN should break Jay and Dan up as the show is painful to watch.

October 17, 2017 @ 7:59 AM

Peter

I came across this site searching for Tragically Hip's Little Bones that was used as a theme song for Global TV's Sportsline show with Mark Hebscher & Jim Tatti. I was trying to remember the names of the two iconic sportscasters of this amazing show! RIP Gord Downie (just passed away last night). This was the first song that got me into listening to the Hip in the 80s/90s. Ah nostalgia!

October 18, 2017 @ 12:48 PM

Paul

"Upstairs, where Norman Bates keeps his Mama."

April 26, 2019 @ 11:05 PM