Maple Leafs 4, Panthers 3

LeafsI'm banning "The Leafs don't even know how to lose properly" jokes. That's it. They're too easy and they're everywhere, so I'm no longer going there. Instead, I'm going to talk about Jeremy Williams.

Jeremy Williams has played three NHL games in his career, all with the Leafs and each one separated by months in the AHL. He debuted on April 18, 2006, played his second game on February 26, 2007 and he played his third game in last night's thrilling comeback victory. Each game has been about a year apart and each game has featured a goal by this native of Glenavon, Saskatchewan. Three games, three years, three goals.

Current Record  Last Games Season Leaders
28-28-9
65 points
5th in Northeast
4-3 Win vs. Florida
5-0 Win vs. Ottawa
3-1 Loss vs. Atlanta
M. Sundin - 66
N. Antropov - 48
T. Kaberle - 41

james edgar

So if he's getting a goal a game ,why isn't he the Captain?

February 28, 2008 @ 10:00 AM

Argie

I know most Leaf fans want this team to lose to ensure a top pick. First of all, that’s not going to happen unless they play Red Light Raycroft.

Secondly, even if they finish last and get Stamkos – which is not guaranteed, he is not a sure thing. The sure thing/franchise player will be available next year (Tavares). He should be in this year’s draft but that’s another story.

Considering this conference is wide open and there are so many teams with suspect goaltending, the leafs actually have a chance to get to the playoff and win a round. I know it sounds nuts but stranger things in sports have happened. God knows they are motivated (finally) and they have a decent coach who is coaching for his job and possibly his career.

The bottom line is that if Toskala can stay healthy they have a chance. Go leafs Go!!!

February 28, 2008 @ 10:12 AM

Toronto Mike

Guys, I'd love to make the playoffs, but there are only 17 games remaining.

We have to leap frog four teams to finish 8th. We're currently 12th.

Somebody did some math and suggested we likely need to win 13 of these 17 games to slip into the playoffs. I'd love that to happen, but the realist in me tells me that's simply not going to happen. It's probably only about 3% likely.

But hey, 3% beats the hell out of 0%... Go Leafs Go!!!!

February 28, 2008 @ 10:37 AM

Argie

Mike: I agree its a long shot but I think they’ll need to finish with 90 points. That’s 25 more than what they currently have so if they win 11 of their remaining 17 games and throw in say 3 OT losses, that would give them 90. Badabing badabang! We’re going to the dance!

February 28, 2008 @ 11:10 AM

Toronto Mike

Argie, I be-leaf again!

February 28, 2008 @ 11:17 AM

CANADIENS_DAWG

I hope that you Laffs make the playoffs so the Montreal Canadiens can put you out of your misery....

Go Hab Go.

February 28, 2008 @ 1:05 PM

A.R.

Lol @ the token Montreal troll.

February 28, 2008 @ 10:14 PM