Edgefest 2008: Call It A Comeback

edgefestOur friends at 102.1 The Edge have announced their lineup for Edgefest 2008. They actually didn't hold an Edgefest in 2007, ending a string of 20 consecutive shows. Before I throw you the lineup, I have an Edgefest spiel to share.

I used to love these things. There were big lineups and solid headliners and they usually held it at Molson Park in Barrie, my favourite concert venue. The last Edgefest I attended was 2003's Farewell to Molson Park. The Tragically Hip headlined and they were supported by CanCon heavyweights Our Lady Peace, Sloan and others. It was awesome, but the very next year's lineup was so horrible, it threatened to destroy the franchise.

You can read my reaction to learning the 2004 Edgefest lineup here. Good Charlotte, the epitome of all that is wrong with popular music today, was scheduled to headline. This set off a string of email exchanges between CFNY Program Director Alan Cross and myself. I wasn't so upset at the fact I hated the headlining band, I was more disturbed by the hypocrisy of it all considering 102.1 wouldn't even play Good Charlotte.

The lineup for Edgefest 2005 wasn't much better, and by 2006 this once great event was evoking yawns from old fogies like me. I like to think I played a small role in the cancellation of last year's Edgefest and the vastly improved lineup this year. Yes, I'm that egotistical.

On July 12th at Downsview Park, Edgefest 2008 will feature Stone Temple Pilots, Linkin Park, Sam Roberts and more. Once I know the more, I'll throw that info in the comments. This is an Edgefest I'd attend, and I haven't said that in five years.

I'm pretty sure Good Charlotte won't be on the bill...

Jason | GetYourOJ.com

lmfao stp and linkin park yeah i'm running out right now to get a ticket, good job edge-heads, it's not ten years ago

maybe you can get blundell to host too

February 26, 2008 @ 10:28 AM

Toronto Mike

Jason, what took you so long?

I knew your anti-Edge spidey sense would be tingling...

I happen to love STP - I saw Velvet Revolver last summer and I'd love to see STP again. I also dig Sam Roberts, and I can tolerate a little Linkin Park.

February 26, 2008 @ 10:37 AM

Toronto Mike

Man that Edge102 site sucks. Even their pre-sale info is fuct. Check out the picture at http://flickr.com/photos/mikeboon/2293390265/ and then try and understand how it can start Wednesday, Feb 26... That's unpossible!

February 26, 2008 @ 10:43 AM

Jason GetYourOJ.com

It was my friend.

I love STP too but I don't need to see them tour in 2008 for the cash grab, I'm just not interested. I'll no-comment on Velvet Revolver.. ok one comment.. I would liken them to RockStar Supernova.. they will be forgotten faster than you can say "be my butterfly, sugar, baby"

Let me point out all the other great bands that have been a part of EdgeFest Over the years. 3 Doors Down, Nickelback.. heh

I was at the one with Blur, Elastica and Ned's Automic Dustbin. I think that was the "first" "edge fest 2"

As for Linkin Park, I'd rather be forced to watch wrestling than listen to that shite

February 26, 2008 @ 11:28 AM

Fredericton Steve

Toronto Mike, Can you confirm reports on PJ message boards regarding Edge 102.1 reporting eddie vedder to play in Toronto in May?

February 26, 2008 @ 11:42 AM

Music Fan

This is my first blog ever, I actually never thought that I would do this, but to say that STP is getting back together for a "cash grab" and that you would "liken" Velvet Revolver" to Rockstar Supernova plainly states to me that you are very opinionated, but not very educated.

February 26, 2008 @ 12:17 PM

Jason GetYourOJ.com

Did it increase traffic to this site?

Do you mean it's your first comment?

Can you bestow some of your musical knowledge on me smarty pants?

Do you really think Velvet Revolver did anything more than write catchy pop tunes?

Did I say that was bad?

February 26, 2008 @ 12:37 PM

daveyjones187

I Dont know why everyones gotta be hating on the line up...I've seen LP and scott weiland before and they know how to put on a good show

February 26, 2008 @ 12:47 PM

Jason GetYourOJ.com

I think I am the only one hating on the line-up around these parts, go fig.

I guess I'm the Billy Bragg of this thread.

Rebel! Rebel!

Live in the now! Scary!

February 26, 2008 @ 12:59 PM

Anonymous

Well if you just said it to increase traffic on this site, than I won't be reading this site anymore, cause I would rather read an actual comment. Yes it was my first comment, that's how strongly I disagreed with you (don't get me wrong everyone is entitled to there opinion). STP deserve a huge place in rock history (I know you didn't say they didn't) they are among the most influential hard rock bands in the last 20 years. They are about the music, without the music they would never have lasted as long as they have...they break up for personal differences and get back together for the music and that's why the fans are going to come see them this summer...for the great music and not to mention, for the fact that they are one of the most solid live bands that you'll find. They are tight and charismatic...similar to Zepellin in the 70's...Zepellin never had a number 1 hit and only 1 song reach the top 10, but look at how they are remembered, cause of the music. And you're right, Velvet may not be on the next level, but you did say that was bad, you likened them to Rockstar Who? Can you say Tommy Lee "cash grab"...lets both do the world a favour and never mention that farce again.

February 26, 2008 @ 1:07 PM

Music Fan

That Anonymous comment was mine...I'm a rookie at this thing. I've gotta get back to work...it was good chatting!

February 26, 2008 @ 1:11 PM

Toronto Mike

Jason, I think you're looking for a club show. When you're trying to get tens of thousands of people to Downsview, you need names with mass appeal.

I'm not the biggest Velvet Revolver fan, although I like a handful of their tunes, but in concert they played a lot of GNR and STP and that was just awesome.

Anyway, anyone who checks out the tunes that make SLS knows I'm a closet Linkin Park fan who isn't really that far in the closet and I'd love to see STP again and both times I saw Sam Roberts he was great so this isn't an easy line-up to hate on... and I love to hate on Edgefest lineups!

February 26, 2008 @ 1:16 PM

Jason GetYourOJ.com

Isn't a renunion tour kind of cash-grab even if you're NOT in it for the money?

Isn't that kinda why Jesus Cobain woudn't play Lola?

February 26, 2008 @ 1:29 PM

Jason GetYourOJ.com

wanted to add that.. yes i am "opinionated" but i also don't think there is really such a thing as "bad" music, in the end opinion is all that any of it is.

hope we hear from you again!

February 26, 2008 @ 1:49 PM

michelle

linkin park rocks seen them in london ontario fucken awesome have to see them again ,the rest of the line up is pretty good to,how do i get tickets?

February 26, 2008 @ 2:25 PM

Anonymous

seen sam roberts at sars they rocked as well,not as good as LP though.

February 26, 2008 @ 2:27 PM

Emma

It's "I saw" not "I seen."

This country's going down the tubes.

February 26, 2008 @ 3:11 PM

Toronto Mike

Rounding out the headlining bill of incredible talent are Sam Roberts Band, The Bravery, Ashes Divide and Attack in Black. More artists to join in on the festivities will be Arkells, The Coast, Creature, The Flatliners, Hostage Life, Modernboys Moderngirls, The Stereohoax, Sweet Thing, and USS [Ubiquitous Synergy Seeker]. These 15 artists bring the rock at Downsview Park all day on two stages.

February 26, 2008 @ 3:24 PM

Jason | GetYourOJ.com

OK, here's the POSITIVE spin.. there's nothing more I like to see than some not-so-uber-well-known bands getting some exposure.. I don't even know who the heck all those bands are and THAT is the spirit of radio

February 26, 2008 @ 8:53 PM

l

just wondering if someone can tell me whether this will be the original stone temple pilots performing ie: weiland as lead?

February 27, 2008 @ 9:14 AM

Toronto Mike

Yep, it's the real deal. Dean DeLeo, Robert DeLeo, Eric Kretz and Scott Weiland.

February 27, 2008 @ 9:16 AM

l

thanks for the response, toronto mike :)

February 27, 2008 @ 9:20 AM

donna

to the guy who said it was "unpossible", l guess edge isnt the only one who can make a mistake. chill

February 29, 2008 @ 6:19 AM

Toronto Mike

Hey Donna, "unpossible" is a common Simpsons reference. My man Ralph Wiggums dropped the line "Me fail English? That's unpossible!" in Lisa on Ice.

Chill.

February 29, 2008 @ 8:45 AM

Anonymous

I Got a ticket the second i heard STP will be there. just fantastic news. Also i was disturbed by the comment

"Let me point out all the other great bands that have been a part of EdgeFest Over the years. 3 Doors Down, Nickelback.."

from freddy get your own OJ. Nickelback is horrible and they ruined the edgefest where cake played. Their hick fans threw shit on the stage cause they didn't want to wait out Cake's set, so Cake walked off and we all waited through dead air anyway. Ever since ive hated Nickelback even more, not just for stealing the grunge sound from bands like STP only making it worse

March 1, 2008 @ 3:00 PM

Miss Lee

What a bunch of babies!!!

I'm pumped it's gonna be awesome!!!

Summer time in the park listening to great music...

What more could you ask for...

We could be living in a war torn country...

March 25, 2008 @ 9:50 AM

Toronto Mike

The Lineup schedule is up. I'm planning my day, are you?

Edge Stage

1:30pm USS

1:10pm The Stereohoax

12:45pm Arkells

12:20pm Alphagalates

July 6, 2008 @ 9:44 AM

peaplelubsill

Romeo, Romeo, wherefore art thou Romeo?

Why you so think? On the Internet http://community.fotopic.net/user/yyok9v.html >silvia pics saint! - Christal Hopkins

December 14, 2008 @ 5:26 AM

peaplelubsill

Put the wood in the hole

To whom to sell the http://community.fotopic.net/user/yyok9w.html >deep throat shyla stylez? Write on mine e-mail or call. - Barra Moore

December 14, 2008 @ 7:09 AM

peaplelubsill

Read between the lines

Order and buy the http://community.fotopic.net/user/yyok9z.html >amy reid orgasm in ours online-shop! Only for dead presidents :) - Beshaun Carter

December 14, 2008 @ 9:33 AM

peaplelubsill

Eat drink and be merry

It is necessary to search correctly. By the way, who to share the helpful information? Where it is possible to find http://community.fotopic.net/user/yyokd1.html >brittney skye free? - Anni Booth

December 14, 2008 @ 11:56 AM