Nothing Left to Burn

leafs"When there's nothing left to burn, you have to set yourself on fire".
~ Stars, Your Ex-Lover is Dead

Rumour has it Vesa Toskala may have re-injured himself last night. He came in to relieve Raycroft. Why they risked Toskala is beyond me. I would have let Andrew Raycroft finish what he started.

If Tosky can't dress, and Raycroft can't stop a puck, it might be time for Justin Pogge's debut. Here's a little Pogge primer.

January 6, 2006 - "I have seen the future of Toronto Maple Leafs hockey, and his name is Justin Pogge. Pogge posted a .952 save percentage for the tournament, his 1.00 goals-against average ties him for best in tournament history and Canada's six goals against set a record. He recorded three shutouts and went 150 minutes and 50 seconds without giving up a goal to close out last night's game."

It was that tournament that introduced the country to Jusin Pogge. He was outstanding and a Maple Leafs prospect. Those two statements rarely collide.

October 21, 2006 - "For the third time in four nights, I was in the building to watch a professional Toronto sports franchise lose. It was my first Marlies game and a great deal of fun. The kids were probably more entertained by the dog mascot than the hockey, but they had a blast and I got to watch #1 Justin Pogge."

This was the first time I watched Pogge play in person. He didn't win, but he was sharp.

September 19, 2007 - "It was Justin Pogge's first NHL game, and I really wanted him to play well. I so badly want this prospect to pan out and develop into a great goalie I actually got butterflies every time he handled an Oiler shot. I just didn't want him to look out of place."

That was Pogge's only game in a Leafs uniform to date. Rumour has it they're thinking of calling him up for tomorrow night's game in San Jose. My spidey senses tell me that's a horrible idea.

Justin Pogge will not save this season. He will not guide his team into a playoff spot. He's not ready for the NHL and would benefit most by finishing this season in the AHL. Why rush this kind of prospect unnecessarily? Why not let Scott Clemmensen and Raycroft handle the load until Toskala is ready, it's just not worth the risk.

Bringing up Pogge is such a bad idea I fully expect to read the MLSE press release announcing just that any moment now. Let me check my RSS feed now...

Ajax Mike

Looks like you called it Mike.

January 11, 2008 @ 2:25 PM

felix

I'm reminded of Pat Burns' comment when they called up Felix Potvin back in the '92-'93 season, "I think the kid can do the job." Let's hope Pogge has a similar result.

I think we might be able to peddle Raycroft for the now-retired Dave Andreychuk, but probably not much as far as a serviceable player goes.

On a lighter note, the Dominic Moore (claimed on waivers from the Wild) era has now begun! Are you feelin' it?! I'm feelin' it.

January 11, 2008 @ 3:30 PM

Toronto Mike

I see Dominic is the brother of Steve Moore. You can never have enough 4th line guys.

I would make that Raycroft for Andreychuk deal in a heart beat.

January 11, 2008 @ 3:42 PM

felix

That's right, these 4th liners are the spark we needed.

Someone call Mike Krushelnyski and Bill Berg, get them signed! Maybe see what Rob Pearson's up to...

January 11, 2008 @ 3:50 PM

Toronto Mike

Don't forget Scott Pearson.

I would be making a call to Stevie Thomas right about now. The dude can still play.

And I'm pretty sure a Dougie comeback would be welcome. And what is Robert Reichel doing these days and does he still have Yushkevich's number in his Rolodex?

January 11, 2008 @ 4:00 PM

felix

And is CuJo the goaltending saviour? Hell, let's just put together a team of ex-Leafs and see if they can do any better than these guys. Come in, Wendel...

January 11, 2008 @ 4:18 PM

felix

Just for fun, here's my all-retired team:

D. Andreychuk	D. Gilmour	A. Mogilny
W. Clark	V. Damphousse	G. Anderson
M. Osborne	E. Olczyk	R. Vaive
S. Thomas	J. Nieuwendyk	R. Courtnall

B. Leetch	L. Murphy
B. Salming	D. Ellett
A. Iafrate	T. Gill
F. Potvin
G. Fuhr
January 11, 2008 @ 5:13 PM

dale

Johnny Bower is still alive. Why not him as # 1 goalie, Bob Baun a defenseman & Frank Mahovlich as a forward.

January 11, 2008 @ 5:25 PM

Toronto Mike

I like this idea, but I don't have time to throw it together right now.

I wouldn't compile a "best Leafs" list, but more of a "favourite Leafs" list.

I'm happy to see Courtnall and Iafrate up there. Where's Dan Dahoust?

January 11, 2008 @ 6:16 PM

twins from bolton

Dan Daoust lives around the corner from me here in Bolton. He keeps a VERY low profile & I didn't knew he lived here until a few years ago. Another former Leaf (Richard Mulhern) lives across the street from me.

January 11, 2008 @ 7:28 PM

felix

Awesome. Back when I was in high school I once delivered Chinese to Bob McGill's house in Newmarket.

January 11, 2008 @ 8:36 PM

Mississauga Mike

Bottom of the East:

Toronto: 40 pts, 44 GP
Tampa Bay: 37 pts, 44 GP

Toronto: 16 wins, 20 losses, 8 OT losses
Tampa Bay: 16 wins, 23 losses, 5 OT losses

So remember how I was saying that the OT losses might get them in the playoffs? The OT losses might keep them out of last place! haha

January 11, 2008 @ 8:55 PM