Dr. Grant Lum's Diagnosis

medicalThis afternoon, about two months after my right leg quit on me, I met with Dr. Grant Lum, MD, CCFP, Diploma in Sport Medicine. The dude acts as a consultant to the NHL Players' Association and he really seems to know his stuff. I told him my story, most of which you can read here, and performed his many tests.

The doc believes it's my sacroiliac joint. That's the joint between the sacrum, at the base of the spine, and the ilium of the pelvis, which are joined by ligaments, don'tcha know. It's either fractured or knocked out of whack and the result was a complete shut down of the posterior kinetic chain on my right side. Posterior kinetic chain isn't just fun to say, it's also a bunch of important muscles like the hamstring and glutes. With my posterior kinetic chain shut down, I simply don't have the strength to do what I'm used to doing, so after a 3k of running it hurts too much to continue.

He's got a six week treatment that should get me back running, but since he thinks I could have a fracture, he wants me to completely shut down for six weeks. No running, no long walks and no dodge ball. I had to convince him my one hour of skating with James each Saturday could be nothing more than a light walk-like glide to support my six year old. My treatment starts with a chiropractor as we get the alignment right again so my posterior kinetic chain works again.

I know how exciting this is for you all, so I'll post updates along the way. I can't believe my illustrious dodgeball career is over after a mere three games. I could have been somebody. I could have been a contender.

sacroilliac  joint

Freddie P.

Mike.. do whatever the doctor says. When the spine is involved, or anything attached to the spine, you stop everything until you fully recover.
I learned the hard way.
If I could give you further advice I'd recommend you quit running. That's what started my back problems back in 1998.
Hi impact on a susceptible spine or joint is an invitation for long term trouble
Take up cycling instead.

January 30, 2008 @ 6:46 PM

Toronto Mike

I'm going to shut her down for six weeks and do all the treatments prescribed. As for running, I've already changed my goal from marathon to enjoyable 10k. I remember well the broadcasts from your house because you were differently abled, so to speak.

I used to love biking. When I'm okay again, I think I will take up cycling instead.

January 30, 2008 @ 7:12 PM

Mike Kic

Boon,

I can't believe your dodgeball career is over, you are going to be missed. Plus we won't get to hang out playing a sport other than softball. Tis, a sad sad day....get better buddy, we'll need you in the summer.

January 30, 2008 @ 7:19 PM

Toronto Mike

I was about to tell Daniel I can't play for six weeks, which is pretty much the rest of the season. I was just getting the feel for the timing and everything, and it was a hell of a lot of fun.

At least I'll be back for Raging Storm's comp division debut. Kic, dodge those balls for Booner... and dedicate this season to me.

January 30, 2008 @ 7:22 PM

felix

Okay, if I see any references to, "So many suckers on your sacroiliac." I'm going to have to swear off this blog too.

But then who could I share the joy honour pain of being bred to root for the Leafs with? Oh, the humanity!

I wonder if Gord Stellick has a blog...

January 30, 2008 @ 7:53 PM

felix

Bah. Stupid strikethrough tags... worked fine in preview mode.

January 30, 2008 @ 7:53 PM

Toronto Mike

Dude, I beat you on the "So many suckers on my sacroiliac" reference by 24 minutes...

January 30, 2008 @ 7:55 PM

Anonymous

ahem.....cycling instead? traitor!!! the real danger is SOCCER! p.s. you've been wearing old shoes for the longest time, so all the impact goes to your legs/hips/joints/spine

January 30, 2008 @ 7:57 PM

Toronto Mike

And by the way, the only HTML I allow in comments are:

a href,b,i,br/,p,strong,em,ul,ol,li,blockquote,pre

January 30, 2008 @ 7:58 PM

Toronto Mike

Anonymous, I bought brand new running shoes after a gait analysis in March 2007. They aren't that old, but the doc does want to see them on Tuesday.

And cycling is my fall back if I can't run without pain. I loved running, I'd still like to enjoy a 5-10k run thrice a week.

That's right, I said thrice.

January 30, 2008 @ 8:00 PM

felix

Yeah, I did a double-take when I clicked back to your blog and saw that... you're one eclectic individual, Mike.

January 30, 2008 @ 8:03 PM