Angels Laid to Rest

baseballSkyDome was not kind to Boonie's Angels. The fact I'm home writing this tells you we didn't qualify for the playoffs. It was fun and I'm glad we gave it a shot, but we weren't particularly good.

Here's a collection of thoughts...

• At 4:15am, it took me 8 minutes to get to SkyDome.
  • At 4:15am, it's impossible not to speed. The speed limit on South Kingsway is 50km/h but just try going less than 70 at that time of day.
  • At 4:15am, 102.1 played House of Pain's "Jump Around" and Cypress Hill's "Insane in the Brain" back-to-back. Perfect.
  • Hankering for breakfast at 6am on a Sunday, we walked the streets until we found a 24 hour Golden Griddle.
  • The teams in this tournament were true teams. They clearly play together all summer long. Our team was a mishmash of players, most of whom don't play together. It took us three games to gel and by then it was too late.
  • The dome is cavernous but while playing you totally forget where you are and find yourself totally focused on the game.
  • Michelle and James came out for yesterday's game and had a blast.
  • It's 10am and I've already been up for six hours! I feel like the host of a morning show.

P1126753 P1136754

chris

It's too bad your team is laid to rest. Hope it was fun & an experience you won't forget.
RIP - Boonie's Angels & Leafs.
Something is cookin' in the kitchen at MLSE.

January 13, 2008 @ 12:51 PM

Toronto Mike

Hopefully I'm not cooked along with JFJ and PM. Boonie's Angels may have flopped, but it was a brand new franchise. TML has had a few extra decades to get it right.

Boonie's Angels and the Leafs did have something else in common, though... We both cancelled the team photo.

January 13, 2008 @ 1:21 PM

Jason | GetYourOJ.com

Too bad about the baseball.. and.. if you're gonna keep plugging The Edge, here's an idea. Block programming. No one wants to heare George and Alan tell the same stories about the same bands over and over again.

I had it on today actually. The same old Offsping and Greenday songs mixed with a little "new" CanCon and that's about as good as it's gonna get. Sad, really.

January 13, 2008 @ 1:51 PM

Toronto Mike

Dude, I'm not "plugging" the Edge. I'm just sharing "fit for public consumption" aspects of my life which happens to include listening to CFNY periodically. In case you haven't noticed, I don't hate it as much as you do. Sometimes I actually enjoy hearing the same old Offspring and Greenday songs mixed with a little new CanCon.

Here's a question for you. If 102.1 upsets you so, why do you still listen? If I were you, I'd avoid everything on terrestrial radio except for a little University listening and maybe some CBC RadioOne.

January 13, 2008 @ 2:34 PM

Jason | GetYourOJ.com

I do, but sometimes one is in the car our does not have control of the stereo. Plus, how is it right to complain about their format unless I do know what they are currently up to.

January 13, 2008 @ 4:36 PM

Jason | GetYourOJ.com

*that should say 'and does not have'

All I'm saying is with a few little tweeks they could make a lot more people happy without turning anyone off. Surely you see that. There is nothing wrong with Greenday or Offspring or even bands that I personally like but it should be spread out more.

That said, if you are wondering why I care if the music I want is on that particualr frequency or not is purely a nostalgia thing combined with a vision of what could be if only they were not dictated to by the wrong powers that be.

January 13, 2008 @ 4:40 PM

felix

On the subject of baseball... what do you think of the pending Glaus/Rolen swap, Mike?

I think it's a good deal, personally. Assuming Rolen's shoulder isn't still an issue...

January 14, 2008 @ 12:11 AM

Toronto Mike

I was going to wait for Glaus and Rolen to pass physicals and for this to be official before I wrote about it, but what the heck.

I like it. It's a good move for the Jays. Smooth move, JP... I wonder if he had to bring it to the board for a approval?

January 14, 2008 @ 8:55 AM